1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

So I met a 1%'er

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by revrandy, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Berto

Berto Inherently Floridian Supporter

Oddometer:

You should!! They make it safe for you and me to ride our motorcycles:rofl:rofl

Many are apparently impressed with how "bad" they are ... there are people like that all over the world. They tend to gravitate together and form groups, gangs ... whatever you want to label them. They can present a real problem in a society such as ours where intervention by law enforcement is an "after the fact" event. Every little batch of a dozen or so "bad bikers" would literally make it hell for "mom & pop" on their Goldwing to go ridin' ... or any citizen and his gal passing through would be at risk in any area "ruled" by such a collection of "bad asses". There is really nothing of an effective preventive nature that the cops can do about such things ... you can not arrest someone for what they "might" do, only for what they have already done. Like it or not, it really does not matter, because it does not change the reality ... the thing that makes it safe for "Mom & Pop", or the young citizen and his gal, to go essentially anywhere they please is the dominate club arrangement. Dominate clubs have a vested interest in ensuring undue attention is not focused upon the biker world ... and they do not have "restrictions" on waiting until after the felony has been committed by some group of bozos to take action.
    This arrangement works ... and it neither wants nor needs your approval ... it just "is".

http://www.rcvsmc.net/id17.html
  2. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    That's my point. I could care less if COC doesn't like the patch. They have no legal standing.

It's not worth getting the shit kicked out of yourself because someone thinks your choice of style infringes on theirs.
  3. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah, It's pretty simple to identify yourself as a civilian in the biker world. Don't wear a three piece patch.
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I'm white and nerdy on a v-strom (and/or a monster). So there's no worries about confusion :evil

I benefit from it, though, because when I'm away from my bike the general public doesn't know if it's a skinny nerd who will be upset or an outlaw who will be upset when they fiddle with my bike.
  5. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    Of course, a true outlaw biker would never be riding a V-strom or a Monster. :deal
  6. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    The public doesn't know that. They know "harleys" and "crotch rockets" and "Goldwings".
  7. Cgirou

Cgirou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently my parents were visiting me and I took them to the festival/stunt show at one of the local Harley Dealers. A guy came in with no shirt on and Outlaws of North Carolina Tattoo'd on his back. It covered most of his back and then he had something on the front as well but I mostly noticed the back. I asked my friend Tom about it and told him I didn't realize that Charlotte had a biker "Gang". He told me that he has known and currently knows a couple of Hell's Angels and as far as he's concerned the Angles are the nice guys compared to the Outlaws. Last week the motorcycle group I ride with was at a pub in Locust, NC that is very biker friendly and a place we stop at for lunch after a 70 mile or so loop. This guy pulls up with his vest on and big burly look about him. Normally we say hello to anyone on a bike as they walk by. This guy walked by saying nothing to us and none of my friends said hello to him. I followed their lead but afterwards asked what that was all about. Tom said "remember what I told you about the Outlaws?" I said yes. He said "Well that is one of the more well known one's that you don't F with. That being said, stay out of his way and he won't give you a second look. Say something he doesn't like and he will make sure you know who he is with." He said they are not all like that but for some reason they seem to have more to prove then other MC's in the area.

I don't know. Any group of motorcycles coming up behind me and I generally move over and let them by. I ride my ride and hope they do the same.
  8. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its been gone over by a few but this is NOT the case.

In fact some MCs wearing a three piece patch will wear a 99% patch as well - to stand out from the other 1%.

I belong to an MC.....yes, I play a pirate on occasion.

.....and I play astronaut occasionally to.

......even squid once and awhile.

Im a motorcyclist.....nothing more, nothing less.
  9. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    Its a free country you can do what you want, you just have to be ready to take the consequences. Same with any adult decision. You make a choice to infringe on that world. Not like they are single out guys who ride red motorcycles.

I can't go dress up like a cop. Which is my response the Blue Knights wearing a 3 piece patch.
  10. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    I have not ever, and will not ever wear a patch, join a gang, or otherwise "belong" to any group.

:mad?
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've witnessed a few non 1% clubs play the role. The cop boys,vets and The Phoenix MC for example.
  12. Reverand Roadblock

Reverand Roadblock Where are my pants

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    I don't get, buying a vest same as a bunch of other guys, to say you are one of a kind.
  14. Cgirou

Cgirou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of the guys in the Charlotte area

Attached Files:

15. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    They are all over the country.
    Side tattoos are
    God forgives, Outlaws Don't
    Outlaws Forever, Forever Outlaws.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Its a lot of to do about very little really.

If you don't want to be involved in 1% MCs.....its real easy don't be. They AREN'T out to get you, they could care less if you stare (and many do), and if you don't show your ass to them you won't have an issue.

No more, no less. Don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

In my experience, they have better things to do than deal with the police because some knucklehead had to be dealt with in the bar.
  17. aaronrkelly

Oddometer:
    See your thinking must be that 3 piece patch = outlaw MC club and the Blue Knights are play pretending. 3 piece patch = MC club......but there are tons of MC clubs that arent outlaw clubs.....in fact there are far more that ARENT outlaw clubs then are.

Outside of the outlaw subculture, the words "motorcycle club" carry no heavy meaning beyond the everyday English definition of the words – a club involving motorcycles, whose members come from every walk of life. Thus, there are clubs that are culturally and stylistically nothing like outlaw or one percenter clubs, and whose activities and goals not similar to them at all, but still use three-part patches or the initials MC in their name or insignia.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> The AMA was founded in 1924 as an organizing arm of Motorcycle Manufacturers and mainly supported by the Motorcycle Manufacturers to promote motorcycle riding in America. They sanctioned groups of riders from the same area that rode together as motorcycle &#8220;clubs&#8221;. Some wore complete matching dress outfits with the name of their motorcycle club stitched on the back of their shirts and jackets.

At events, the AMA gave awards for the best-dressed club so this was the start of motorcycle club&#8217;s patches.

During an event in 1947 in Hollister, CA when a member of the Booze Fighters Motorcycle Club made the headlines with an exaggerated news story that was later made into a movie called "The Wild Ones".

The AMA wrote an article in their magazine, shortly after this stating, &#8220;99% of all of their members are law-abiding citizens and only 1% are &#8220;outlaw&#8221;&#8221;. This then, began what is today known as Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs and one percenters. Clubs that were not sanctioned by the AMA and non-members of the AMA were banned from attending AMA events.

Again.....MC club does not equal 1% wannabes.....its just doesnt compute, never has.

The Blue Knights are an MC.....and they act as one. They dont pretend to me 1%ers....and they are not.

What role would that be......surely your not saying you've seen the cop boys or vets selling drugs, running guns or any of the other stuff the 1% clubs are reported to be doing.

.....so if we take that away whats left is a group of like minded individuals who like to ride together. So if they want to wear matching T-shirts.....BMW gear......or leather vests - who gives a shit, really?

Hey man, good for you - if thats what floats your boat. Groups arent a bad thing.....Boy Scouts, AMA, NRA even my local state OHV association are all groups Im proud to belong to as well as an MC. Hell Ive got more Boy Scout patches then MC patches.

To each their own....
  18. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Sir this is NOT the place for logical thinking. :lol3
  19. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

I pretty much agree. It's just that non-outlaw bikers who may come into contact with outlaw bikers at rallies, poker runs, bars, etc should have a basic knowledge of the "rules" so as not to get themselves in trouble. I don't think a lot sympathy will be given for ignorance.
  20. aaronrkelly

Oddometer:

Ive got that patch.....both this year AND last year. :D

[​IMG]