So I went for a ride....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gasgas17, Jun 11, 2019.

1. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    .....along the coast.

So I don't do a lot of road riding as I spend most of my spare time on a dirt bike as I'm sure most of you already know. But I had some semi forced vacation coming up and needed to occupy myself for a few days, so I came up with a plan to go for a street ride somewhere. First the ride. It's a 2013 Honda NC700X we bought new (leftover in May 2015) as a multi rider bike, as we like having a street bike kicking around the house. To this point it only had around 2000 km's on the clock and was in need of some use. So I did some trip planning that consisted of checking the expiry date on my passport and staring at google maps for a bit 2 nights before I left. I also bought some soft bags and made a trip over to MEC for some strap parts to make mounting them a bit easier and also bought some dry bags to put inside them. I didn't mind getting wet on the road, but wanted dry clothes to change into if needed. I don't enjoy sleeping on the ground so I was not worried about camping gear. I also geared up a powered mount for my GPS. OK lets get riding.....

Ready to head out. About 830 AM on Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

This was not really a NS focused trip So I just rode out the 118 to 102 as far as Milford and just hopped on the old road and that was going just great until I was almost to Truro when I realized I had forgotten my toiletries with my prescription. So a quick call home and the wife brought it out to Stewiacke on her way to the golf course for me. Gave me time for a hot drink and a snack while I waited. It was cold that morning so It was a welcome delay. As you can see my tireless planning was already paying off. Headed out the 102 to the 104 and got off at the Wentworth exit on to the #2 all the way through the Wentworth Valley and re-entered the 102 at the Ultramar where I filled up for the first time.

Back onto the 104 to NB where it turns to the #2 and stopped in Sackville NB for some lunch. Sorry no food pics. I had plugged a route of town names along the NB coast to Maine into the GPS, and just had to follow the roads along the water to get there. And that's what I did from Sackville onward. First up, the 114 to Alma.

[​IMG]

Found this covered bridge on the Midway rd.

[​IMG]

Looking back towards Alma

[​IMG]

Fundy National Park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then followed out the 114 by Penobsquis to Sussex. At this point my time schedule for the days riding was getting thin (my stellar planning rearing it's ugly head again), so we entered the #1 to Saint John and continued to the 790. Witch brings you to Chance Harbour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Chance Harbour I continued on the 790 to the 175 and onto Saint George to find a room for the night. It was dusk at this point and the only thing the wife asked was, that I don't ride at night. Fair request in my books. Being the long weekend the hotel was all booked and the manager at the desk tells me everything is full from there to St.Stephen. No rooms In St.Stephen either (planning...hmmm). I guess that leaves with no choice but to cross the border into Calais. So that's what I did.

Welcome to America.........

Edited by D S Josey - 08-09-2016 at 4:39pm
    Pete S likes this.
  2. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ......and more to the point Calais, Maine.

Everything goes like clock work at the border crossing and check in at the International Motel. You just kind of drive up to the office without seeing the parking lot around the side, but they have a room and the price is right. The guy at the desk says" second door on the left, right around the corner form here". So I pull around the corner the see the biker gang Saracens all parked and milling around. A couple doors over there are a few guys working on a bike or something. I get off my bike they look over so I nod as the say hey. They don't nod back. Ok.....so I pull the bags and GPS off my bike and head to the room and lock the door and close the curtains,as one would when your trying to hide from a cult. I grabbed a shower and headed over to Joe's Diner for some food (Great place to eat BTW). I also grabbed a cold refreshing drink from the wobbly pop cooler.

[​IMG]

It was pretty calm for about an hour when I got back then it started. Revving bikes screaming out of the parking lot and back in the parking lot or just revving their bikes until 1 in the morning. Pretty sure if that went on here their would be 25 cops there in about 20 minutes tops.
    Finally got to sleep and was warmfully awakened by a loud piped Harley doing a burn out in the parking lot at 7 am. Had some breakfast at the diner next door to the motel and got ready to continue down the coast.

Saying good bye to Canada across the water

[​IMG]

Then continued down the #1 to the exit to Eastport. The #1 is a 2 lane road, so it's not really an exit per say. Nice view over to Deer Island where my wife has some family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also ran into these guys on someone's front lawn. So I stopped, turned off the bike took off my gloves, opened my trunk, took out my phone and took a picture or 3 and a video. I guess they weren't to nervous.

[​IMG]

Next stop down the coast was Campobello Island witch happens to be Canadian soil, so another border crossing at Lubec and across the FDR Memorial Bridge to FDR's cottage for a bike break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How long would this water heater sit at the curb on garbage day.....

[​IMG]

Laundry room or sweat shop? You decide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading back to Lubec

[​IMG]

Then back to the #1 and pointed south as planned. That's as far as the planning went as you can probably tell by now. The stops are all just seat of the pants "hey, lets stop and see that". Some sights along the way.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Penobscot Narrows Bridge. Best seen in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at Finelli Pizzeria in Ellsworth for some lunch. Mid after noon at this point, so I had to start figuring out how I was going to get to my destination by dark and I still had 260 or so miles to go. Clearly it was time to shorten the route. So I decided to break off the #1 at Camden and shortened things down to 160 miles.

Edited by D S Josey - 08-09-2016 at 7:06pm
  3. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Camden to Bethel. After continuing on down the #1 to Camden to find myself stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Mostly stopped, I hung a right and did a lap around Megunticook lake just north of Camden. Beautiful spot with big mature pine trees, the road following the shore line of the lake and a sheer rock face on the north called Maiden Cliff. It had to be 600 feet high and there were 2 guys climbing it. One guy half way up and the other guys 3/4 of the way up. I have no idea how they were getting up there as it's just a big smooth wall of rock. Impressive to say the least. Then back over to Camden and managed to get around the traffic and got to see some sights. Then I headed towards Augusta on the 17 to lunch some place to the 202 to the 133 to the 219 to the woods?

[​IMG]

Dam you trip planning! Dam you GPS! No way I was venturing in there on a street bike at dusk. Besides, they all own guns down here and shoot people and stuff for trespassing.(insert banjo music here)After cruising the cottage community for a few minutes I did what no man wants to do............and asked a local for directions. A couple of lovely older gals out for a walk got me pointed to the 26 and on to Bethel. Gps emergency averted. Just in time to fill up a very empty fuel tank in down town Bethel.

[​IMG]

Then just a hop skip and jump to the brothers cottage for a cold beer. I bought 2 tall boys at the gas station for 2.19 USD.

Tomorrow we ride with brother "I have to put some new tires on my bike first" with only enough implements to just barely pull it off. Did you know you can break tire beads with a 2"x8" and a GMC 3/4 ton in the dark. Well you can and we had that bike shod with new rubber in record time.
    “…going fast is the easy bit. It’s going slowly that will help you develop control. Simple riding exercises which are actually difficult to perform can give you a lot of control.” Graham Jarvis
    Pete S likes this.
  4. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hold on to your hat Andy, we're just getting started.

Day 3 planned route.

[​IMG]

From Bethel we headed west on the #2 to the #113 and entrance to the White Mountain National Forest. And stopped to have a gander at Evans Notch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then worked our way down to Greenhill Rd. and over the mountain on Hurricane Mountain Rd., down the 16 trough North Conway and west on the 112 by Loon mountain and stopped for lunch in Lincoln NH.

[​IMG]

Back on the bike and headed north on the #3 to the 93. Then East back into the White Mountain National Forest on the 302.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited by D S Josey - 08-09-2016 at 11:31pm
    Pete S likes this.
  5. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Continuing on up to the Mount Washington Auto Road, we pulled in and paid the road toll. $18 for a motorcycle. One of the most worthwhile touristy charges you will ever pay, as it's worth the money in my opinion. It's a pretty long steep narrow road. All you can smell on the way up is brakes burning up on the cars coming down the hill at you. It just adds to the excitement knowing all the cars coming down the hill have their brakes almost ready to burst into flames! There are lots of places to stop and let your brakes cool off, but most don't seem to use them. After 23 minutes your at the top. The speed limit is 25 mph and with all the rubber neckers stopping to look around, it slows things down a bit. I'm confident one could drive up in 15 minutes or less if let loose with no cars. But then your at the top and the views don't disappoint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cog Train on it's way up. The wife and I went up the Cog Train last year but it couldn't reach the summit due to ice. They let you know ahead of time and offer a reduced rate. They actually got very close but you couldn't unload, due to the amount of frost on the ground. Best not to wait until end of October to go down if your planning a trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our starting point at the road toll down below.

[​IMG]

Who is this good looking fella....

[​IMG]

It's luck of the draw on the weather up here, so if it's cloudy when you get there just give it a few minutes. It will change.

[​IMG]

On the way down....

[​IMG]

Wild Cat Ski Area. Beautiful hill to ski. If your down during ski season be sure and giver a go. You won't be disappointed. My best ski day ever was at Wild Cat.

[​IMG]

And continued on North on the 16 to Gorham, NH and right on the #2 back to Bethel, ME. We logged 248 miles round trip. Brother showing off his full stud pose..........

[​IMG]

This concludes day 3. More to come.........

Edited by D S Josey - 09-09-2016 at 10:10pm
  6. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The trip home! Well I didn't want to repeat everywhere I went on the way down, So I had to come up with a route home. I planned 5 days round trip, so that leaves 2 days to get home. 1 day to get to the boarder or somewhere in Canada and 1 day to finish up and get home. A few years ago I had taken the kids on a ski trip to Sugar loaf and Saddleback. Saddleback is in Rangeley, ME and I always wanted to see this area in the summer. So off I went on a side excursion to Rangeley and boy was I glad I did. Beautiful ride over with fantastic scenery. Just headed north from Bethel on the 26 through Grafton Notch to Upton, ME to Errol, NH, where I stopped at L.L.Cote general store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They saved my ass at L.L.Cote. Literally. They actually had a small motorcycle accessory section and sold these blow up seat cushions. Along with grocery's, building supplies, fishing and hunting gear.
    Ahh.....much better. The miles were taking a toll on the hind end.

[​IMG]

After a snack and getting my seat sorted (I had to buy a ratchet and a 10mm socket to get my seat off to install the new comfort as I forgot my extra tools at home), I headed northeast on the 16 where I came across this dam in Lincoln, ME.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then headed onto Wrangeley with a fuel stop at Oqoussoc, ME on the other side of the lake at the end of the 16. First stop in Wrangeley was the Red Onion for lunch.

[​IMG]

On the way into Wrangley lake region is a nice view of Saddleback Mountain.

[​IMG]

Rangeley Lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it was mid afternoon again and time to beat it for Calais. Down the number 4 and head over to Skowhegan and continue on the #2 to the #9 and onto Calais.

Down town Skowhegan traffic hour.

[​IMG]

No problems at the boarder and crossing into Saint Stephen. It was dusk, but I decided to go as far as Rothesay NB to stay for the night. So I googled motels in Rothesay and found a room for $70.00. Loaded into the GPS and off I go. About 10 minutes on the highway it starts to get foggy. Then really frigging foggy and dark. Next thing I'm riding along at 70 k with the flashers on waiting to get run over by a tractor trailer. Needless to say it was a long 115 Km's to the motel. BTW if the Park Plaza Motel ever pops up on your phone.......burn your phone it's that gross. Just sayin'.......

Another 350 mile day in the books and one more to come....

Edited by D S Josey - 09-09-2016 at 3:28pm
  7. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention that I stopped in Newport for supper on the way to Calais and while I was there I forgot to look at my fuel. Did you know there is NO place to buy fuel on the #9. Well almost no place. After 25 miles of running on empty, pulling in the clutch and coasting down every hill and keeping the rpm's below 3k, I came across a place that used to sell gas......Oh dear. So I continue on with a semi following me and of course he's trying to make up time on the down hills and I'm trying to run on what must be the fuel soaked into the steel of my gas tank. Then out of the corner of my eye it appears on the left side of the road. A fuel oasis 20 miles out of Calais. McCloud's Variety and Gas Pump.

I guess I'll go with the regular unleaded eh...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon removal of the gas cap and a good side to side shake of the bike there was zero slosh in the tank. Maybe a couple table spoons. Fuel emergency averted. Planning........Hmmm

2 bucks to get me to a higher volume gas retailer to fill up with high test!

Edited by D S Josey - 09-09-2016 at 3:25pm
  8. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 5 to Home!

After i got up from hovering over the bed dirt sleeping with 1 eye open expecting to be murdered some time during the night, I went out to the parking lot to burn all my belongings to find it jamb packed full. I guess I'm not the only cheap ass when it comes to accommodation. So I decided to shoot up the highway to the Salisbury Big Stop for some breakfast, wifi and more route planning. I could be home in 2 1/2 hours, but that would be like cheating now. And besides, my ass was finally breaking in. So I decided to run the highway to Amherst and then follow the shore around to Mass Town.

First stop, the border by the big NS sign. Turns out there is a view back there. Who knew...

[​IMG]

The next find along the route was the Joggins Fossil Cliff. Never been there before in my life, or along any of this Awesome shore line for that matter. Only ever as far as Economy to go dirt biking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sights along the way...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making my way around to Advocate Harbour and Five Islands. Stopping for fuel and a snack in Great Village before popping out at mass town to get back on the highway for home.

Pulled in the drive way at around 5:15 pm. Just in time for supper.

[​IMG]

I had turned the gps on around Brookfield on the highway when leaving, so round the tally up to 2900 km's in 5 days.

[​IMG]

Edited by D S Josey - 09-09-2016 at 11:31pm
  9. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your bored, here is the ride up via gopro on the crappy suction cup mount. Ride to the sky
  10. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you can see by the dates, This trip was from a few years ago. The forum I had originally post this on is closing , so I moved it all over here. I am getting ready with some friends to do another trip the first week of September, so look for a new tread then.
    eaglescan likes this.