So I'm stuck in Malaysia...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mtwarhol, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:43 AM.

1. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:
    This was not the plan for Summer 2020.

I've been living and working in Johor Bahru, on the very southern tip of peninsular Malaysia, for the past 2 years.
    This summer I was supposed to be spending my school holiday on the Big Island of Hawaii.
    I had planned to ride my 1993 Honda XR250L all over the Big Island.
    I was going to hit Waipio Valley...
    I was going to hit Green Sands Beach...
    I was going to ramble all over Mauna Kea...
    But alas, Covid struck and it does not seem wise to venture out of the country on my holiday, as the chances of getting back in to Malaysia for the start of next school year are slim.

So instead, I'm going to take my 2011 Versys 650 and look for some twisties here in Malaysia.
    This won't be my first trip around the peninsula, but I'm going to try to hit some new territory as well as revisit some old favorites.
    Malaysia has a very good highway system, and the Versys is great for that kind of travel, but the highway is a little bit boring.
    Instead, I'll try to get up into the mountains and see what kind of trouble I can find.

The bike is prepped: new tires front and rear, fresh motor oil, recently serviced ignition system...
    Plus, I have spent all of $42.00 for a year of "Bike Warrior" supplemental insurance which will get me up to 600KM of towing at no fee and pay me about $2330.00 if I happen to lose a finger or toe on the journey!
    And the name is worth it..."Bike Warrior".

I start out from Johor Bahru tomorrow and head up the West coast to Malacca, an old Portuguese port town.

Here are some pics to whet the appetite, starting with the bike I'm supposed to be cruising around Hilo on (gotta give it some love)...

1993 XR250L.jpg
    2011 Versys 650.jpg
    MY_area.jpg
    MY 2020 Day 1 Route.png
    MY 2020 Day 1 Route CU.png
  2. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your COVID captive in Malaysia tour report …. while keeping those fingers, toes and everything else intact of course.

T2
  3. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    I am in the same boat, am stuck in Thailand, so not that far away, i was a repatriation flight offered but refused, what's it like on your side of the border?
    Here all good, i was planning a trip to Malaysia, but have to wait i guess, and be going for a cross country trip through the land of Siam on my big little 250 Rally, if i talk to family and friends back home it seems to be better over here.
    Safe riding!

Iggstr
    td63 likes this.
  4. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    My 250 Africa twin, Selamat Makkan!
    IMG_20200612_130630.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  5. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:
    I wish that the border with Thailand was open!
    Over the Christmas holiday I rode from Johor up to Phuket and had a blast.
    I used to live in Chiang mai and thought that I might overland to there over this summer break, but it was not to be.

Things in Malaysia are pretty good as far as the Covid-19 situation, if you believe the numbers provided by the Ministry of Health.
    It is just really quiet here right now.
    Domestic tourism is starting to pick up a bit.

Have a great time in Thailand.
    Eat lots of papaya salad and kiss all the girls for me (wearing a mask, of course).
  6. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:
    Day 1: Johor Bahru to Malacca.

Well, I got off to a late start. First I got a call from the Honda dealership where I bought my "Bike Warrior" insurance on Saturday. It turns out that they contacted the insurance company this morning (Monday here) and they would not sell me the policy because my road tax and regular insurance only have 1 month remaining...go figure. So I'm on my own if I break down, which is not such a big deal here in Malaysia, as there are lots of cheap options to get your bike to the closest service center. So, I got packed up and went by the Honda shop to collect my refund.

20200629_104105.jpg

Looks like good weather for a trip!

20200629_135355.jpg

All packed up and ready to go. I'm not quite as far south as one can go on continental Asia (there's a place called Taman Negara Johor Tanjung Piai National park about 45 minutes from where this picture is taken that has that distinction) but the hill in the far distance is Singapore! Gotta get a stamp in your passport to swim over there...
    td63 likes this.
  7. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:

While at the Honda shop I had a chance to check out the Adv 750 super-scooter. It looks awesome, but will set you back about US $15000 here in Malaysia!

20200629_141229.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  8. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:

I jumped on the highway for about an hour to get out of my neighborhood. Took the E2 (or AH2 depending on the map/road sign you come across) up to Yong Peng and then got off onto the 2 lane roads. The highways are quite nice, but they are all toll roads here in Malaysia. The good news is that motorcycles don't have to pay any toll! In this picture you can see the little MC lane that goes around the toll plaza (blue sign in the middle of the pic). There's one of these at every plaza. Sometimes it can be a tight squeeze with the panniers.

20200629_152336.jpg

From here it was through the countryside, AKA the palm oil plantations. Through Batu Pahat and Muar, then on to Malacca.

20200629_160105.jpg

This was an interesting structure. Probably a field office from when this was a rubber plantation...?

20200629_160932.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  9. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:

Stopped for lunch in Muar, which is a majority Chinese city. Got some wonton mee for $2.00.

20200629_162223.jpg

The stewed pork was incredible! My new favorite restaurant...

20200629_163216.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  10. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:

Made it to Malacca!

20200629_172807.jpg

20200629_191129.jpg

20200629_192734.jpg

20200629_195113.jpg
    9w6vx likes this.
  11. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:
    Day 2: In and around Malacca.

I spent the day today walking around town. That is really what Malacca is best for, as there are lots of cool little streets and sights within walking distance of the river.

20200630_160847.jpg

On top of the hill in the middle of town are the remains of Saint Paul's Church...

20200630_142241.jpg

20200630_142303.jpg

And on the back side of the hill the historic A' Famosa fort, which looks like it might fit about 6 guys inside...

20200630_142951.jpg

And for lunch, Indian food!

20200630_150044.jpg
  12. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:

Strange vehicles...

A plane.

20200630_160210.jpg

Some old-ass armored vehicles.

20200630_143046.jpg

I especially like the potted plant between them. Lively up the machines of war, that's what I say!

Lastly, an interesting mini-GS knock off.

20200630_155618.jpg

20200630_155632.jpg

If you know anything about the pedigree of any of these machines, please feel free to chime in...
    roadcapDen likes this.
  13. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:

Also spent some time today mapping out the route for tomorrow. Mapping using Google Maps on my laptop and then sending the links to my GPS-dedicated phone via wifi, a Kyocera E6810.
    Tomorrow will get me off of the coastal plane and into the hills that run down the spine of peninsular Malaysia.

Day 2 riding big.png

Day 2 riding CU.png
    9w6vx likes this.
  14. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    along for the ride.........
  15. 9w6vx

9w6vx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice.... keep the pictures and RR coming.

In 2 or 3 years from now, will ship my Tiger 800 XR over to Port Klang and tour Peninsular East Coast and then head north up to Thailand or even further.
    That's the general plan.

So far, I've done Kuching, Sarawak just before the lockdown in March but it was kinda rush.
    I plan to do it again this year hopefully and take my time to explore.
  16. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Pappaya coming out of my ears by now, lol, so had a hamburger tonight.
    Domestic tourism on the go here to, maybe even busier in post falang time.
    Will make the kissing round, let them know you're coming when the border fence goes up.

Looking pretty geourgous there, i'm headed to the southern provinces next week, and hope its raining.
    Keep the good rr coming.

Sabai sabai! from the nothern neighbour!
  17. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    That is the Zongshen RX3. It's sold here in the states by CSC. They don't usually have the fake BMW logo on them :lol3

Nice ride report. I miss SE Asia. I spent a year in Indonesia, and loved (almost) every minute of it!
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are in Seremban town I can direct you to some great: roast duck, satay(best), roti choni, ABC ice.
  19. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I don't think I'll make it to Seremban this trip.
    I'm already around the back side of the mountain!
  20. mtwarhol

mtwarhol Serial Lurker

Oddometer: