So im thinking of scubadiving and made myself a snorkel for the R1200gsa

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 2712, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

Im going to iceland, and i am a bit worried to drown the bike, so i made myself a snorkel.

I used a piece of pipe that i cut of the vacuum cleaner of a friends swimming pool vacume cleaner:rofl

I alsow installed the touratech foam airfilter with that.

First i connected the hoze to the snorcle under the right side, since it almost is a straight fit with wise... unfortunaly i had to cut off 2 inches of the oem snorcle, in order to make the hose being able to make a turn down under the tank and back up.

I hope my pictures will make my horribel accent more understaindeble.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. aGremlin

aGremlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From previous threads I'll offer you some advice.

The position of the opening is going to let very little air into the hose (behind the windscreen). It also looks like it will affect your steering. The rough surface inside the tube is going to mess with the air flow...
  3. turbojugend208

turbojugend208 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

please put the pipe down
  4. Stinkyb

Stinkyb GS"eh" rider

Oddometer:
    Not to mention the harmonics of air being sucked across every flexible rib....
    I still dont understand taking your 25k motorbike with sophisticated string of electronics purposelythrough a river...and have fun:huh
  5. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting :huh

Probably the most sensible thing I can offer up is - take lots of pictures :D
  6. wjherrick

wjherrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    And send pic's! I'm sooooo jealous.

Bill in OR
  7. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been thinking about that, however, the end of the oem snorkel sits under/behind the tank with only an inch or 2 space left for air to be left in. On the GSA the airflow is already messed up by the huge tank and crashbars.

I didnt lose any ability to steer, i guided the hose true the fork legs and then up from right under to left upper in a way that i can turn in any direction without the hose touching a thing. She only touches the right fork leg when turning all the way to the left, but i added some electric tape to the tube and the forkleg to prevent rubbing damage.
    Ive checked and checked and checked, im all clear on that one

Lets not forget that i will remove the tube after i got back from my trip.

Now that ive this hose, i didnt lose much power. It does wissle when i go up higher then 6000rpm.
    The reason why i didnt make the hose facing the riding direction next to the shield, is that then i would catch up way more dirt and bugs. And since im going to ride on volcanic ash/plume stone onderground for a month. Il do anything i can to avoid volcanic dust in my engine.:wink:

Im adding a nylon sock to the end of the tube for chunks of debri, il add that as soon as i convinced a girl to donate one to me.
  8. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    When your out in the middle of nowhere , turning back or going another way may not be a option. I doubt he wants to play submarine , but instead he's addressing a real shortcoming on what is supposed to be a adventure bike.
  9. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A field expedient, if you will. I couldn't do a better job.
    Have a great time; a trip report in the works?
    Jim
  10. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1

Im not planning on submerging my gs in water at all!
    I do expect water that will be above the axel, maby even as high as the tire.

If you go into water as high as the front tire, it will go great with the oem setup, until you drop it to the right side... water will be sucked in instantly leaving you stranded with a bike in the middle of the river that you have to PUSH out of the water... alone with some bad luck... i once tryd to push my bike upwards onto a steep driveway, impossibru! now imagine a riverbed with rocks and slippery mud..., im already crapping my pants:lol3

My setup will hopefully give me some slack in case i drop it, the panniers will hold the bike up a little, and when dropping i might have 1 or 2 extra seconds to push the killswitch.

I will feel safer on the bike with the setup than without.

ps: a full field report will follow! with lots of pictures!
  11. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    one question to the mechanics, can a mod like this lean out my engine?
  12. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think that if anything it would run a little richer, unless the computer compensates for it.
    There are others who would know more about how it calculates fuel/air mixture.

I look forward to hearing about your trip and seeing photos.:lurk

As a side note, looking at the joint between the snorkel and the hose, you may want to think about some heat shrink tubing over your electrical tape to make sure it doesn't start to unwind do to the elements.

You don't need to hold the heat gun to close as too not damage the hose.

Good Luck
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has been done before, with a different tube, but similar. The person who did it claimed no noticable difference unless at high RPM.

I doubt it will hurt the bike, though you very well may notice a drop in mileage. I would make it removable for street only, and easily installed once off road.

Jim :brow
  14. Big Daddy D

Big Daddy D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'Lean' betekent te weinig brandstof. Jij zal hoogstens teveel benzine verstoken.

Ik zou ook een kapje meenemen als je buiten parkeert in de regen ;-)

Foto's en RR worden verwacht natuurlijk! Succes!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk
  15. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im thinking of getting a used undamaged airbox snorkel to swap when im at home doing work - home traffic:D
  16. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah what he said :huh

17. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Hey, good job. It is after all your 'adventure' bike and you had the spine to make changes based on real world issues [riding alone then getting water into the cylinder and bending some very important parts!].

As stated by others, perhaps you can find a position for the inlet to be in the air flow when you are moving, big bonus. Small thing, but you mention diving. Dive snorkels or any breathing tube/hose [regulators or surface supplied] should be smooth bored, laminar vs turbulent flow. To fine turn your set up I would find a smooth bore tube. I also use an oiled air filter, UNI [from Oz], and it has a pre-filter foam sleeve [fits over distal end of air horn] which would really help with any fine dusts and prolong the effectiveness of your air filter. I assume you carry extra oiled filter foams in a zip-lock bag to change out on the road if necessary. Not mentioned, but the OEM paper filters stop working if they get wet, oiled filters can keep going if wet.

FYI.. UNI says that the restriction of the pre-filter reduces Hp by about 5 Hp. I have never noticed the loss of power.

Lastly my '07 GSA air horn does have incoming air flow even though it is sandwiched between enging and gas tank...but without a snorkel, it can catch any splashed puddle water or suck it up if bike is dropped in water.

Enjoy your adventures! :wink:
  18. cratliff

cratliff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wtf........:D
  19. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. cobrags

cobrags Lost ADVR

Oddometer:
    There we have it!