So tell us of your first introduction to the wonderful world of motorcycles.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Happy Snapper, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
  2. Cameleer

Cameleer Europe, three days at a time.

Oddometer:
    Well... back in ‘83 I got a Vespa scooter, which as extremely useful but embarrassing as hell as no self-respecting individual would want to be seen riding that thing to high school (idiotic teenage attitude)
    THEN, Providence smiled at me and stroke a deal with a cousin in which I would use his Honda CB900 Custom during the week, give it back to him cleaned and refuelled so he could trash it during the weekend, then repeat.
    As I could barely touch the floor with my toes it was easier and - believe it or not - safer to run red lights in the small town I lived in since I could not stop unless there was a kerb.
    After high school, it was a 30yr break before I finally got my 1150RT which I’ve been happily riding around Europe for the last few years.
  3. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I clearly remember my introduction to 2 wheels. It was 1970. I was 8 years old. I had surgery just before Christmas 1969. Due to some misdiagnosis I had to have an eye removed. In early January I paid a visit to an ocularist for manufacturing and fitting of a glass eye.
    I am not sure why but Pat ( as we knew him ) became a very close friend of the family. He came to visit on numerous occasions and on one trip he had an ST70 mounted on a towbar rack at the back of his Chevy Impala!
    We had plenty of open space to ride. Pat took me out and let me take the controls whilst he was sitting behind. It must have been about 20 minutes later I realised he wasn't there! From then on I was hooked. I had to wait until I was about 12 to save enough for a second hand Suzuki TC 125 ( the dual range version )

honda-70-mini-bike-7.jpg

tc125.jpg
  4. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a sickie off school it was 1970 I was 10 and went with mum to the Op shop looking for some Commando comics or Readers digest books to read. Came up empty handed except for two Two Wheels magazines, thought I'd give them a go. One had an article where a teachers husband organised some of the boys in her class who could ride to test a range of mini bikes. I was hooked. Not long after a mates uncle bought a brand new Honda dax and gave us some riding lessons. The hook was in deep after that. nagged my parent for two years. Finnaly my uncle who was dads mate before he married dads sister, invited us over and had just happened to buy two Yamaha 60's for his kids. He took us to the local quarry. I don't know what he said to my dad while they got stuck into his massive supply of home brew. But the following Monday dad came home from work with a brand new egg yolk yellow Honda SL70.

The rest is history, 49 years and 17 broken bones later I'm still here.

As an interesting sidenote. I struggled learning to ride a manual clutch bike, I read a Honda brochure that said to practice clutching and changing gears in bed at night before going to sleep. I did and nailed it perfect the next day. So I can say that I learned to ride in my sleep.
  5. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me it was around 1970 (aged 10) and at one of those small circuses that use to do the rounds of suburb parks had some delteck mini bikes that you could ride around on the dirt in circles. For 10 cents (IIRC) you could ride for about a minute.

Well that was the most important 10c of my life.

I was hooked and fortune smiled upon me because 2 years later we moved to the country where most of my school mates parents had sheep properties and guess what they used to round up sheep. Yep motorcycles.

I was in heaven. Ok they were AG bikes but to a 12 year old they were the ducks guts. Learned a lot about riding ( and how it can sometimes hurt falling off :lol3) because of those bikes.

My first ride of a "real" bike was in 1973 when a mates brother let me ride his brand new Kawasaki 350 triple (still living in the country) OH MY F@#KING GOD. At the time I hadn't had sex yet but I reckon that ride was better than any sex I was going to eventually have and to this day it still rates right up there with the best sex I eventually DID have.

Funny side note to the 350 triple, one day when my mates brother let me take for it a spin I decided to do something real stupid (he still doesn't know to this day, hence why i'm still alive:lol3). I thought I would try and do a doughnut (only ever tried on the AG bikes without much success) but this time it worked................................for about 1 second where I tipped the bike over and landed on my knee and did a perfect 360............................ on my knee and still have the scars to prove it. Thankfully the bike was undamaged and it was only a few years ago that I told my mother the truth about the scars on my knee (I told her I fell off my pushbike:lol3).

1979 I had a major motorcycle accident and because of that accident I still use a walking stick but I can honestly say that the best times of my life have revolved around motorcycles.

BTW Rider101 I have one of those dual range TC125 in my shed waiting for restoration.

Crash n Bern those Commando comics were the best weren't they.
  6. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    In 1967/68 me and a couple of mates went shares in a honda 90, I was 12 and then a little later and one less mate another Honda I was 13 or 14, memory is a little vague about the type of Honda though, we used to bush bash around Green Point in Belmont on Lake Macquarie.
    Then my own bike a BSA Bantam around 15, there was a gap till I moved to Wollongong when I was 17 and got my first registered bike and licence a 1970 X-Police Triumph Trophy I was 17 turning 18 in 1973 and from then on never been without a motorcycle since.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :1drinkSummer 1974... it was just before x-mas, at the grandparents family home - KARA - which was then, just ont the outskirts of Orange, right next door to the PLC (Walaroi) Girls College. I was "doubled" several times up and down the poplar tree lined (400m) gravel drive to the fountain/circular driveway up front of the house by my uncle "Jace" on his - then new - blue tank/red stripe, TS 185 Suzuki.

Jace was my idol, and the coolest bloke I knew - at age six. I clung off the back - wearing his Monett Mi. USA college leterman jacket (five sizes too large) and his white open face helmet... I was hooked... and I still have - to this day - a reminder of that ride in the form of a pink burn/scar on my upper inside right thigh - from the TS 185 exhaust. (along with "borrowing" my uncle's jacket and helmet - the cotton short's and t-shirt I hade on, and a pair of grotty dunlop tennis shoes served as the only form of ATGATT for that maiden voyage... it was the 70's okay...? :lol3)

[​IMG]

A few weeks later - during a family vacation up at the Gold Coast; we were out by a reserve behind Nerang somewhere with the cousin's for a barbecue, and the chance to ride some "dirt bikes". My uncle had his TS185 along, his best friend Lyndsay with a Kawasaki 250 F11 and our cousin Russell - with a green TS100 Suzuki - for the rest of us to play around the grassy reserve on.

[​IMG]

After being "doubled" by all three (Jace, Lyndsay and Russell), at various times during the morning; after lunch the old man ask's me (I was the eldest grandkid) if I wanted to try? At age six, I could only just climb up on one, if the sidestand was down, and when seated... my feet did not even reach the footpegs... but I could just - barely - reach the bars okay... :ricky

Well, of course I wanted to bloody try...!!!? :D:rofl

So, seated up front of the TS100 with cousin Russell behind me, I was given my first tutorial... right hand = throttle... left hand = clutch... ease out the clutch, regulate the rev's with the throttle... easy eh? :1drink(And yes, I distincly recall the schooling was done with Russel holding a cold white can of Toohey's Draught in hand... evidently the NSW cousin's had invaded XXXX land. :lol3).

Anyway, after a couple of "dry runs" - where Russell operated the controls, and I sat up front bewtween his arms, paying attention - it was time for me to get my mits on the grips. (all with no helmets, bare feet, bare torso... just a pair of footy shorts on. :augie).

First time out my clutch/throttle synchronisation left a bit to be desired... and the little TS 100 'Zuki took of like a dog shot in the arse, with Russel hanging off the back...

...that was my first wheelie ! :lol3 (I was a fuckin' natural :rofl). Subsequent attempts at starts were much better/smoother, and soon I was circulating calmly in second gear... with Russell seated on the back keeping an eye on proceedings. On the fourth or fifth circulation, I came by the bbq table location (where all the relo's and kids were looking on)... and there is cousin Russell - standing with a refreshed Tooheys in hand - also looking on... I looked behind me... WTF! The cunning bugger had dismounted off the back... I was now running solo! :eek7 :ricky

This new development in my driver training program (all ten minutes of it) necessitated the (fairly urgent) requirement to devise a "land and catch" manouver... :eekers Given that I could not reach the footpegs... much less the ground. So after screaming the tits off the little Suzuki in second gear for a few more "laps" around the grassy reserve, it was determined that I should "... just ride towards me, pull in the clutch, and shut off the throtle...". :thumb Sound's straight forward enough... eh? :dunno

Can someone explain to me then how me, Russell and the little 'Zuki ended up in a screaming heap, in the muddy bullrushes and weeds of the Nerang fuckin' river then...? :hmmmmm :lol3 That was my first ride... at six years old - and I'd checked off a wheelie and an accident in the first 15 minutes... a pretty good bucket list schedule already, I reckon. :D

Anyway, much to mum's displeasure... the very next day a classified ad was found in the local rag, and a second hand HONDA Mini Trail was purchased for "your truly" (I could reach the ground and everything!)... and the little three speed/auto clutch "monkey bike" got flogged for the rest of the summer school holidays at the sandpit/badlands out by the back of (what was then) the old Surfers Paradise Raceway. In remember it like yesterday (and maybe why to this day - I love riding in sand). :nod

[​IMG]

That was my first bike...

A week or two after getting home... a brand spanking new MR50 made it's way home from Max Conley HONDA in Orange:

[​IMG]

That was my first MX bike... :clapand the Mini Trail was handed down to younger brother(s).

After the MR50 (about a year) came a TM75 Suzuki... then about two years - an RM80B... then an RM80C... RM80N... and finally at age 12 (and 182 cm's), I no longer fit on the smaller 80cc motocross bikes...

Unfortunately after many years of "moves" and a couple of flood damage incidents... I have no photos of any of those early bikes... this is the first pic' (I have) of me riding...

12 years old on my 1979 RM 125N (with lowered suspension) at "Lue" Mudgee at a club enduro event.

Troy RM125N 1979.jpg

Incurable... life sentence. :1drink
  8. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can relate to the wheelie part, Troy.

My first bike that actually ran was a 1954 Triumph Thunderbird. The only clutches I'd been exposed to were marine dog clutches on old inboard two-stroke hire boats.

You're already ahead of me aren't you? A few stalls, a handful of revs and I was away clawing at the sky. My take-offs got smoother once I realised you were actually supposed to allow the clutch to slip a bit.

History repeated itself a bit later when my 1957 Thunderbird had a worn gearbox bush that allowed gear oil onto the clutch plates: a sixteenth of an inch on the clutch lever was the difference between no contact and lockup. To take off you had to put your weight as far forward as possible and smoke the back tyre.

Not quite as bad was when I had my 1961 Triumph Trophy. I took a job in my holidays working a jackhammer to get money for parts. The bike had a cam on the gear change that automatically disengaged the clutch when the gear lever was moved.

After working the jackhammer all day my hands were immobile claws that couldn't operate the handlebar levers so I had to try, not always successfully, to use the gear lever as a clutch lever. Plenty of wheelies and smokies on the way home. Fortunately, I didn't need to use the front brake.
    bungen and troy safari carpente like this.
  9. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:

I'm assuming you know Tom, have done a few of his Sunday rides over the back of the property back when his dad ran the property, big changes there nowadays.

Our club used to run MX and enduro events there also, the first time I saw Ben Grabham race was at one of our Pony Express events, he partnered with his dad, it was his first race as a senior, jeez that guy can ride would love to see a dual between him and TP at Finke.
  10. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    Back in about 73, I was 13 or so. My ol man died when I was 10 and mum feeling sorry for us 3 boys, thought the kids can have and do what they want. (within reason!)
    Oldest brother somehow got a DT175. I had various goes on the back. I never really remember the first solo, but do remember being hooked.
    Soon I had saved up enough to get my bike. Ended up, for no real reason except price I guess, a Montessa 250 Cota.
    Not a speed weapon, but I loved how it could crawl over things down at the swap (Herdsmans Lake) I spent all my spare time crawling in and out of creeks etc. It was a beautiful bike. But soon I needed a bit more speed. Bought my first new bike at age 16. Montessa 250 Enduro. That`s me at the swamp on that bike in my avitar.
    Not long after I got into road bikes. Many Ducati`s Guzzi`s Morini`s KTM`s and Aprilia`s etc later, Im still going.
    Both my brothers have suffered severe head injuries. I gave up bikes after my younger brother had his accident as my mum was totally wrecked. I only lasted a year before being seduced back to 2 wheels. I am sure I could have been a faster/crazier rider (would have loved to try speedway) but I always have them in the back of my mind. It does tend to slow you down. They are still alive but not in a good way.
    I think I have settled on the 2 bikes till I retire from riding. Aprilia Tuono for road trips and hills scratching and the Morini 500 Camel for dirt.
    Ride safe !
    images.jpeg
    From this to this. Some say I haven't progress far !
    First then latest bike.
    IMAG3726.jpg
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I know Tom... kind'a/sort'a... once upon a time... :dunno although it's been eons since last I was there (maybe 1984? :hmmmmm). There is another Ozsylum inmate on here - a friend of mine - who is Tom's cousin and remembers Lue (Louee) fondly from back in those days... He may well read this, put his hand up and make himself known.:y0!

In any case, I was long gone (moved to California) by the time young Grabbo' came on the local scene... but your "father and son" comment reminded me of another old fond memory... Coincidentally, my first race "in seniors" was partnering my father also... as I recounted - a number of years back; This was a post I made one fathers day - here on the Ozsylum - that reminisces the occassion--- I've had som great memories from motorcyling, none more vivid than this one back in those days: :deal

(Orange bikes):

... my dad used to have one just like it... scared myself witless as a 14 year old; raced it at a club 6 hour pony express enduro...

One dayback in 1982 my old man comes up with the great idea that he and I should "team up" for an upcoming club pony express enduro... as my usual riding mate hade a broken leg at the time (we'd been clowning around on BMX bikes at the farm), so the idea was pitched to me under the pretext of; "some quality father and son time together"... :wink:

With a bit of trepidation young fella' here finds himself standing beside the orange behemoth at the pre-start chute for the clubs annual 6 hour pony exporess enduro, a few weeks later. (I could not sit with both feet on it... so I had to start "Gaston Rahier" style... luckily the diminutive Belgian mx champion was one of my idols...).

Apparently, I had drawn the "short straw" (dad claims... anyone who know's him will corroborate... he's not real big on the "democracy" thing :evil ) and I got to start the event... He mumbled something about me being better at "le Mans" starts or something (fatherly encouragement)... but I think it had more to do with letting the "young buck" sort the traffic out in the congested early lap traffic.

Anyway, we started class by class... so here's yours truly (all 65 kg's of me - wringing wet - in riding gear) lined up with twenty or so other full grown blokes entered in the "open" class, about 40 meters away from a line up of (then current) YZ 465's, KX 420's, RM 370's/PE 400's, a couple of Maico's etc. :huh

The start signal was given, instinctively I run as fast as my young legs will take me (what the HELL was I in a hurry for?!) and leap up onto the bike (parked on center stand)... side saddle style, I put all of my meagre weight on my right boot an launch myself on the left hand kick lever of the bug mutha, in an effort to fire up the 440cc 2 stroke ROTAX donk! Brooooom...!

"Be buggered... it started first kick!" I thought to me'self (I'd never succeeded with that before! So before I really knew it, I had jammed it into first gear and throttled out onto the short 1 km "grass track" test they had taped out on the field adjacent to the pit/lap scoring area, where the "enduro loop" proper began.

I was first out onto the grasstrack, and was just sort of tippy-toe dawdling around the taped track, not wanting to drop the big thing in front of everyone (truth be known - I wasn't sure if I could pick it up! :lol3 ), a couple of the club hotshots passed me before the taped bit ended, and then we went through the timing chute/pit entry and off around the enduro loop.

It took just under 20 minutes or so to do a lap... and during that first lap I took it pretty easy... actually I got a bit worried that I had gotten lost - when nobody had passed me by two thirds of the 8 km loop - but when I came back 'round to the start/finish area, dad signalled to me that I was in fourth spot as I headed out on the taped grass test before the pit...

We had decided (read "he" had decided) that I would ride two laps before handing over to him... He figured the Can Am would be good for about four laps before it needed fuel, so that'd work out a pretty good schedule.

The second lap went smoothly, I was starting to get used to the copious power, and in between flapping off the back of the thing like a rag doll, I was actually enjoying myself. :D

When I came ´round to the grass track at the end of lap two, I spot the old bloke over by our pit, still in jeans and t-shirt, sitting on the bike trailer eating a cornetto ice cream...! :huh He gives me the "wave" and hollers; "Do one more lap... ya' goin' well mate!" :thumb

About a kay or so into the third loop, I get's "passed" for the first time... my mate Stuart comes by me on his RM 125 (like what I'd normally be steering)... so urged on a bit by his quicker pace, I hop up the tempo a tad... I am no where near as quick on the tight or technical stuff... but on the open bits... that 440cc Bombardier was a missile. But at my niaeve age, little did I know, that missiles - even guided ones - have one purpose... That is to create a monumental amount of devestation upon impact!

I was tapped out down a 4th gear fenceline, when the back stepped out (on a rut or a rock or something) and spat me (sans bicycle) though the chicken wire fence... :lol3 I should've known better... the suspension was set up for dads - considerably heavier - weight... but what can you say... "young blokes!" :rolleyes The big orange bastard did an impersonation of a WWF rester on the ropes and flung itself - Hulk Hogan style - after me through the fence!

When the world stopped turning, me and dad's "pride 'n joy" were now discovered to be on the WRONG side of the fence, with a big cloud of blue haze and yellow canaries circling around my Bell Moto III. :twitch

All I could think of was; "Oh no... I've f#¤%ed dad's bike"

(He had purchased it after the 1979 ISDT in Dillenburg, West Germany. It was the very bike that Allan Cunnynghame rode at the Six Day, and it was in immaculate factory condition). Anyway, I wrestled it to it's feet, got it up on the center stand and - in accordance with dad's prior instructions - in case I dropped or flooded it - I tickled the choke on the Lectron carburettor, turned the motor over with the kickstart two or three times, then to TDC... and give it a good boot (with the mass of my 65 kg frame*)...

Result: big cough of blue smoke... :cry

* footnote: this big two stroke dinosaur had so much compression, that if I did not get it just past top dead center... I could STAND on the kickstarter at the top of it's stroke... and it WOULD NOT MOVE... it was about as firm as standing on a footpeg! :lol3

I went through the same procedure again... and fortunately the second time it fired up! :D By now, two or three others had passed by - I think my other usual Suzuki riding mate Colin - on an RM 250 - was one of them. I was still on the ground (he later told me), he had checked to see that I was okay, and when he saw that BOTH my eyes were rotating in unison, he took off after Stu'... :lol3

I rode backwards down the wrong side of the fenceline about 400 meters to a gateway (don't ask me why I just didn't ride throught the 5 meter hole that me and Canned Am has torn through the fence... punchdrunk I think it's called :shog ).

I rode pretty gingerly the rest of the lap back to the pit/scoring chute; the bars were a touch tweaked in the clamps, and the front brake lever had rotated in under the hand guard (but I bashed it into place while riding along)... other than that, everything seemed (mechanically) okay. When I came into view, the olds looked a bit worried (I was about five minutes behind schedule)... When I pulled into the pit, dad just said; "Chryyyst Troy... what happened to you...?!" :huh

As I stepped off the bike, I could see the full extent of the carnage... The seat cover was ripped, the plexi-glass headlamp cover cracked, the right hand sidecover and plate was scratched to the sh#thouse, amongst other minor abrasions - obviously incurred from the two step-tango with the fence!

I stared at it, wordless... tears started to stream down my face... :eek1 I'd killed my dad's bike... one of only six like it!

"Nah, mate... c'mon..." said my old man "...are YOU allright?! It's just a bike, we can fix it... are you okay?!" I pulled off my helmet... there were deep scratches all down the right side... the Can Am riding jersey that dad had loaned me to ride in, looked like somone had shot the rear of it with a 12 guage shotgun! :lol3 He put his arm around my neck, looked me up close and said; "are... you... okay...?". :brow

I snorted back a couple of tears and said... "yeah... I'm okay... sorry 'bout your bike dad..." :(:

With that, he and my uncle John threw some fuel in it, they taped up the seat and headlight with some silver duct tape and dad took off on our fourth lap... We'd dropped probably ten - maybe twelve - minutes all up by now, but it was only an hour or so into the six hours... so no biggie.

Mum, cleaned me up, put a new jersey on me and grabbed my other helmet from the Toyota (the spare one had a peak... an NO scratches! :wink: ). Before I knew it dad turned up again and said; "Your turn... don't want you to cool down too much...!" :evil

(I think this was Bob's version of; "get back on the horse that threw you"). So I put on my helmet and climbed back on...

This set the rythm for the rest of the day; I would ride three laps, stop, fuel the bike etc. and Father-o-mine would ride a lap (so I could get a drink, take a leak or eat something), then I would climb back on again for another three laps... And so it went on for the rest of the day... no drama's and relatively trouble free.

That was one of my favourite memories from back in those days... and though I've been to a lot of races... walking up to the results tent after that club event, to collect our trophy... together with my old man, is something I will always remember... and well worth the scar on my right shoulder blade.

Thanks dad. :wink:

Like I said earlier; as a kid I was in awe of this bike (as I referred to in another post a few years back - "Bikes I wish I still had"); :deal

The bike (not actual bike pictured) was my Dad's... It was built and prepped for the 1979 ISDE in Germany and ridden by Aussie Trophy team rider Allan Cunnynghame (Silver medal). Slightly modified to the stock 400 Qualifier model pictured here; it feature a THOR aluminium rear swingarm and Öhlins piggyback reservoir rear shocks, a factory pipe and alloy silencer, a 440 cc cylinder, with a Mikuni carb (standard was a Bing...?) and a custom made orange and white saddle cover with can-am on the side.

My Dad (1979 Australian Silver Vase Team Manager) imported the bike to Oz after the event and used it as his personal ride in Enduro's and Offroad events at home for two seasons, after which it came into my posession...:D

The 440cc case reed two stroke was a brutal powerhouse! :D In 1982, at the ripe old age of 14 I raced it (for the first time) in a pony-express 6 hour enduro teamed together with my old man (our first and only motorcycle race in which we competed together... father and son paired on the same bike).

If for no other nostalgic reason than that, I would love to still have it in my garage... The bike had pride of place in our shed in Orange NSW, and was ridden an played with by yours truly infrequently for a couple of years thereafter (1983-84) until I moved to the states in 1985. Sometime thereafter it was sold by my Dad (to whom I don't know) to some bloke in Sydney somewhere...?

Always wish I could've tracked it down... I did not know it then, but this bike strted my love of brutish powerful orange dirt bikes... :evil (since then have owned a 1999 spec 640 Rally, 1997 620 Rallye and SE 950) amongst the other (tamer) enduro and mx models that have graced the garage...

As I commented at the end of my first reply: it's been a lifelong addiction, incurable. :wave
    Richarde1605, Redback and Ron50 like this.
  12. Chalkie62

Chalkie62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to a BBQ at friends of mum and dad in 1970. I was 8 years old. Kid had a Z50 which we all got to learn to ride that afternoon. Dad said it was the best behaved I had been in ages. Asked the father where he got the bike from and he said buy this one because his kid drove him nuts riding around and around the house yard. Done deal $200, 2 months old. Hook ,line and sinker. Screenshot_20190611-114207_Gallery.jpeg
  13. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    When we were about 13 or 14 my school mate had an older friend who had a 1928 Chev for a run about on the farm. We went over to his place to have a drive in the Chevvy and discovered he also had a motorbike. So we had a burl on that too, and the Chevvy quickly got ignored. Choofing around a grassy paddock in springtime with the wind in my hair, that was when I knew this was going to be part of my life...
    OK Supreme, 350cc.

Cheers
    Brian
  14. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Aden in Yemen, 1966. My dad's mates siphoned avgas from a captured Russian army freight plane "displayed" where insurgents would see how jolly clever the British army was to capture the plane and all the weapons on it.. A bunch of local blokes had various dirtbikes and would race around the Yemeni desert.. One suggested I hop on and ride around while they fuelled the others. I was put on a Bultaco, dropped into second gear and told to ride up and down the runway... to stop, I just rode at them and they caught me and held the bike while I hopped off...
    It happened a few more times before the Poms ran away in 1967 and left us civvies in the shit. As refugees it took us 6 months to relocate. Was supposed to be to Australia, but we had shipped out a single crate containing a Fiat 500 station wagon and that went to Durban, so we followed it and lived in South Africa for a few years.
    My first roadbike? A "Harley"... Honda ST70 which was harly a bike but at least it harly ever broke down....
  15. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I recon it must have been a couple of days after I first opened my eyes in 1965.
    There have always been bikes in the family.
  16. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    1972, 12 years old, up town with my mates on a Friday night.
    Some bloke who knew somebody stopped by to talk to us . He was on a Honda SL100.
    He offered me a ride while he was talking to the others.
    You do know how to ride don't you ... oh of course. (Complete lies) Down the road , changing up the gears ... stalled it at the first intersection and couldn't get it going again.
    You should have pulled in the clutch and changed down you idiot ..... He rode off and i was hooked.

Kiwirich
  17. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    So you were the bugger that caused the DCT to be forced upon the rest of us...? :lol3:D
    Kiwirich likes this.
  18. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point Troy,
    I never thought about that ...
    That's probably why those Honda XRs beat me up for so many years
    Haha

Kiwirich
  19. RolyKBiker

RolyKBiker Road Worrier

Oddometer:
    I remember watching the Isle of Man TT some time in the early 60's in grainy b&w tv. I thought those guys were gods but I can't say why it was them and not soccer players or whatever that had much more exposure.
    So when I was given a pile of old bike mags ("Motorcycle Scooter and Three Wheel Mechanics" - seriously ! ) I lapped them up.
    When I got old enough for a licence Mum was dead set against it so Dad tried aversion therapy in the shape of Honda C90.
    Loved it! Never looked back.
    Precis, Trotski, Ron50 and 1 other person like this.
  20. dalenkruse

dalenkruse n00b

Oddometer:
    (The photos below are not mine. I've scoured the 'net to find pictures of my childhood steeds)

10 years old in 1986. We had a 3-wheeler, but I was wanting to try something with 2 wheels and an engine. My dad ran a second-hand shop, so we frequently attended auction sales in the area to keep the store stocked. By helping out Dad at the shop and at auctions, I had saved up $125. At one auction, there it was. Bright, gleaming, exotic (at least to this South Dakota boy). I knew I was going to spend my money that day.
    Piaggio-Vespa-Ciao.jpg
    A Vespa Piaggio Ciao. I don't remember the model year, but she was pristine! I bid on that beauty and had the bid won at $125. I was thinking of all the mayhem I was going to cause on that glorious machine and then I was outbid!! Devastated, I looked at my dad. He leaned down and told me to keep bidding until he said to stop. I ended up taking her home for $165! I found out she wasn't a mayhem machine, but I had still had lot of fun.

After about a year, I was needing something with more power. At Dad's shop, someone wanted to sell a 1976 Kawi KH100.
    1976_Kawasaki_KH100.jpg
    I decided that bike was going to be my first "real" motorcycle. I sold the Vespa and bought this one. Learned many more things on this bike and she ran so nice! After a few months, her street-oriented nature was showing her deficiencies at our rural home. Something more dirt-oriented was definitely needed.

One day Dad came home from another auction with a load of stuff for his shop. Amongst the treasures he found was a 1971 Kawi G4TR.
    1971 G4TR.jpg
    Mine wasn't as nice as the one in the picture. It needed some work and Dad thought it was a good project bike for me to work on. We got some parts and he and I got it running. What an off-road machine! It had transfer case and it was almost unstoppable once it was shifted into low-range. This provided a lot of enjoyment, but we were always finding problems with it due to the neglect it had from its previous owner. A replacement was needed and another auction sale provided it.

A mint-condition 1971 Yamaha JT1 Mini Enduro. Just a 60cc machine, but SO MUCH FUN!
    1971 Yamaha JT1.jpg
    This was my favorite bike of my childhood. I rode her for several years until I was way too big for her. Still, she had such power for a small bike and I could tear up the trails with such ease. In the end, you can't fight nature and the size difference between my teenage body and this bike grew to the point that another replacement was needed.

That replacement came in the form of a 1975 Kawi F7.
    1975 F7 175.jpg
    The jump from a 60cc machine to a 175 was what was needed. This bike got me through high school and she sat in Dad's garage for awhile after I was gone. I don't remember what happened to her, but this was another great bike.

College, marriage, kids and life in general caused a break from motorcycles for many years. I did get my son started at age 6 on a Suzuki JR50. These days, I have a DR650 in the garage and my son rides a CRF230. These are great bikes for us, although I plan on adding an Africa Twin to the stable at some point.

Thanks for taking the trip down memory lane with me.
    Kiwirich and bungen like this.