So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for your input!
    I had initially thought I'd ride on the motorcycle, but had been disabused of the safety of that notion, so am psyching myself up for being in the sidecar with my dog.
    Not enough room for camping gear without a trailer, huh? We are backpackers...
    Regarding off-roading, I suppose the most "crazy" it would be would be something like Death Valley- and we did need a four-wheel drive our last visit.
  2. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I'm definitely not looking to hear only what I want to hear... not at ALL. And I appreciate input, even if it is realistically "negative". I also know myself and my husband, and that the decision we make will be the right one, having weighed all of your comments. :) Also, the likelihood of us going for it is enormous LOL. Just want to do it as correctly as possible.
    Hi-De-Ho and FR700 like this.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    DSCF1144.JPG No trailer needed!

DSCF1145.JPG
  4. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The leap indeed to find out! Thanks!
  5. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! However we do it, a professional will mount it, and a course is definitely part of the plan.
  6. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Muchas gracias!
  7. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  8. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great idea, thanks! Um, Ski? Elaborate, please, not sure what you mean. I pulled up Roseville Motorsports, good idea, too, thank you. Also for BASE. For everything!
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    A big factor is what type of "riding" you will use the rig for. A Ural may be a good option for a started rig simply due to their holding their resale value so well. Custom rig builds will NEVER recover the money spent to build. If you intend to use it for nothing but back roads a Ural may be a good choice. (My God, have I just kind of recommended a Ural twice in the same post??). Anything other than slow touring back roads a Ural is NOT a good choice. It might also be a poor choice for traveling fully loaded for camping in the steep and high altitude Seirra Nevada's or jumping on the interstate for a couple of hours to get out of town.
    BMWBUD and kbaitis like this.
  10. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not your use caseage. Or age group even. But since my wifes hysterectomy operation included with cancer removal in her reproductive area. I'll just say I saw the growth and it reminded me of the alien movie " Prometheus" where the actress uses the auto table to remove the alien sac. She is now cancer free , for now.

She has been by my side on 2 wheels for decades and this is the plan. I bought her motorcycle back 1983.
    Big scar and muscles cut in front of your body makes it hard to hold up a 1000cc 1983 XLS Harley Davidson at over 500 lbs.
    So I waited till I found locally on craiglist a used Velorex Sidecar with hookups and instruction book for $1500.00

Needs paint. Needs assembling. So I am planning on re-painting side car and motorcycle .Bearings,seals,tires, etc....... all pre flight maintained also and polish aluminum.
    We rescue dogs so some one gets to come when done.
    I don't back pack < with my legs, but on the seat of my bike I do sometimes >
    Cuz we are grand parents and rickety a little.

Her bike

[​IMG]

Her side car

[​IMG]

The plan is to have it done < by me > so it is ready to ride with me and my younger brother in Northern New Mexico for some summer runs.
    My brother just moved from Oklahoma so he is curious about his new digs and area.

Those DMX < oops DMC > side cars are nice. More heavy duty < german looking > than the velorex I posted.
    Hence the higher price.
    Hi-De-Ho and kbaitis like this.
  11. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of good advice and I second the looking for a used already set up rig, although that car in Seattle is pretty tempting, seeing as you already have the same bike.

Seeing as you will likely be wanting to travel with the dog, you will likely want to look at a slightly bigger car, but then that will involve a bigger bike to haul it. By bigger I mean what they call a two seater or car & 1/2, that in reality can seat two kids but not two adults. Probably the biggest choice you have to make is to what type of car you want, and then narrow the field. For what its worth there are three main types, those designed primarily for the street ( although they can do dirt & gravel roads fine ), those designated the adventure type ( they have more ground clearance so are a better choice if you want to do a lot of off the beaten path stuff ), and then lastly you have what I call the high performance type ( big hp and big tires all the way around ). Type will also depend on how much and how long you plan on travelling.

There is a real learning curve and put some miles on the rig without a passenger until you get a feel for the rig. A sidecar rig is unforgiving in turns and if you go into one too fast you can't bail yourself out like if you were on two wheels. You likely will want to start off with some ballast in the car, and depending on the rig, you can do away with it as you learn. A good initial test for stability on any rig is to stand on the left bike peg, hand on the handlebar and then lean back. If the car comes up easily, then you are going to definitely need ballast. A lot of cars are relatively stable and it takes a lot to get the sidecar wheel off the ground. In my opinion you are looking for a rig that doesn't lift easily.

Handling on a sidecar depends alot of wheither it has a leading link front end ( ideal ) or some form of modified front end. These modifications make the rig steer easier. Rigs without these mods can be a handful to drive, but not in all cases as it depends on the bikes stock trail, width of handlebars etc. Also if you have a load in the sidecar ( passenger ) they become much more stable.

Torque not HP is your friend with sidecars and the earlier in comes on the better. The first thing to remember is don't put your feet down, its hard on the ankles. Good luck in your search.
    kbaitis and steam powered like this.
  12. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triquest Ural, in San Jose. One of the best Ural dealers in the country.

As for having a sidecar professionally installed on your F800, it's been said; a good used sidecar outfit can be had for less, and sold a yuear later for close to the purchase price. I still have my first used rig 3 years later.

I also second the idea of NOT using the F800 for dragging around the extra 400 lbs of sidecar, camping equip, and dog. You will want more motor.
    kbaitis and FR700 like this.
  13. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On your velorex. Don't use the adjustable connectors/ bike mounts that come with these cars. They are too flimsy and with the heavier bike will be a poteintal diaster in the making. Do a search on this site, on Velorex's and you will see lots of good advice and previous trial and error stuff on set ups.

The smaller sidecars are lighter and are meant for smaller bikes. When you consider the velorex was made for a 400 CC motorcylce you can see what its limitations are. They have limitations in frame & axle strength areas. They can be OK, if these areas are addressed and they are mounted and set up properly. You will get lots of negative stuff on the Velorex but in my view they really need to be set up properly and then they are an OK rig, but you don't want too heavy of a bike attached . They are a small car and you would be hard pressed to get a passenger and the 45 lb dog into them. Seeing as she will be riding the rig, likley just the dog will be in the car, and that will be fine.
    kbaitis likes this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

Sure, I like realism, but since we are talking about adventure motorcycling we get to throw out practicality - right?

$1500 on rebuilds/parts/shipping. Over 45,000 miles.

This is personal preference, but yes - when it was hot, cold, wet or snowy so were we - which is maybe how life should be

We spent more hours walking over the year than riding, so they saw more than most people ever do - and more inportantly so did our son.

I don’t know what answer you mean, because Kirsten didn’t actually ask any questions. She just said she was excited to learn.

I’m honestly perplexed by your stance. I thought you were just being playfully snarky at first.
    davebig and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  15. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
  16. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:

I have my GS sort of up for sale. Haven't tried very hard to sell it and have it listed only on this site.

I'm in northern NV about an hour south east of Tahoe. If you'd care to venture over this way I'd be more than happy to let you take it for a ride (I have a second HD hack as well) so you can see how they handle. There are a ton of dirt roads around here as well as pretty empty paved roads so you can go as slow as you'd like and won't have to worry about holding up traffic.

IMG_4912 (Small).JPG IMG_4917 (Small).JPG IMG_4913 (Small).JPG IMG_4914 (Small).JPG
    Hi-De-Ho, kbaitis and FR700 like this.
  17. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Small dogs . So that is covered. Already covered the axle. When it comes to wrenching. I am a slow study and measure twice before cutting. I agree about the research and mounting system. I'll try and keep from half stepping. This is pic details of what I purchased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kbaitis likes this.
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Ski is the owner of Triquest in San Jose. Link ---->

Another good resource close to you is Chris at Boxer Metal in Chico. I don't usually think of him for beginner rigs, but if you have a few bucks to play with he could build you something awesome. Link ---->

19. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I don't ride motorcycles at all, am just the passenger. So I and my 45 pound dog will be passengers while my husband does the work. Thanks for input!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  20. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FR700 likes this.