So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heeler! I'm a heeler gal myself. I'll show my husband. Entire set-up sort of for sale? haha
    brstar and ChiliPepperGarage like this.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Kaitlyn, I come from more of a backpacking background like you. Here is my rig fully loaded for a 6-week trip with my dog (no wife) but with: a 4-man tent, cookgear, a very complete toolbag, a full-size folding chair, a cooler, street clothes, lots of water, extra gas, dog kibble, 1st aid kit, raingear and all the other 10 Essentials, my CPAP kit including 3-day lithium battery (takes up half of one pannier), and a bunch of other stuff. And I don't think I'm overloaded. If my wife had been along, I think It would only mean one extra waterproof duffel.

P1000957.JPG
    kbaitis and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    I view sidecars as a form of transportation. Nothing more, nothing less. In that regard I can look at them without any emotional baggage. This of course doesn't always go over that well with people who are 'passionate' about sidecars because they don't have that frame of reference.

Much like people see their self value through the lens of what job they have, what house they own, the group of people that they self identify with or how much money they earn. Sidecars, for the most part, are merely an extension of that subset.

People ask me "should I buy a sidecar?" and I'll always reply that if they want one, then buy one. Either way, it makes no difference to me. I don't care, just shit or get off the pot.

Signed,

Terrible sidecar ambassador.

4. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    You'll find that Chris is the man. Highly recommended.
    kbaitis likes this.
  5. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Yes, bike and car. I would never separate them because of the history of this machine. Take a look here for the complete story: http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

This is a very special rig.
    Malamute, kbaitis and JustKip like this.
  6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, Chris seems to be booked up for quite a while. I was looking at his website last week, and the "deposit for custom build" link says sold out
    kbaitis and FR700 like this.
  7. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Good for Chris, not so much for Kirsten. I do miss his input in the forum.

Still, he would be worth speaking to to get a clearer idea of what she and her husband hope to achieve, long term.

kbaitis and JustKip like this.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem with sidecars, IMO, is other than the Ural they are all home mode, kits or custom builds. Imagine if you wanted a truck and you had to buy a car and convert it into a truck! I wish the new Asian mc companies would bring back the small factory sidecar.
    kbaitis likes this.
  9. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    That's the funny thing, the uralista have been telling us for years how good urals are, yet with the release of the 2019 models they're now telling us how much better they handle.

The only conclusion one can draw from that is that the earlier ones are crap, because you can't have it both ways.

As for Asian companies producing sidecars, they do, in great numbers. The reason you don't see them in North America is because everyone says they'd like one, then never actually put their money where their mouth is. It's the same reason you guys don't get a lot of motorcycles that other countries do.

10. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed it would be great if they sold asian sidecar motorcycles in the US.

[​IMG]
    kbaitis and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  11. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not so good for me either. I want his help with my "hipster" Scrambler build. I do functional, but not purdy. I'd like his show winning touch.
    kbaitis and FR700 like this.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    ???, The frame and suspension of the 2019 is the same as they've been since 2008, so perhaps they're comparing it to older rigs, I've ridden the 2019 and didn't notice any remarkable difference in handling compared to other newer Urals, but it is better than my 2007. The new engine and EFI of the 2019 is noticeably better.

The 1wd cT introduced in 2014 and Retro do handle noticeably better than the 2wd rigs. The E-cT handles better then either because it has a lower CG and more distributed weight, but is otherwise a stock cT. Maybe someone is confusing the 2019 with the comments made about the prototype E-cT?
    kbaitis likes this.
  13. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    *Kirsten, we'll get right back to your regularly scheduled channel in a moment.

Damn, now I am confused.

You just said that the 2019 handles better than your '07. I think you then stated that ural, somehow, upgraded the handling from '08 onward and that they have remained the same since. You then go on to tell me, I think, that the E-whatsit is in another league, as far as handling goes, due in no small part to better weight distribution, the what and how for of which I can dimly grasp, as tentative as that may be.

The only conclusion I can draw from that is that every ural, be it a cT (why the heck don't they capitalize the first letter?) or a Gearbox blew up Gear-up isn't perhaps as well designed and balanced as it could be, yet everyone extols their virtue of being a "factory designed sidecar combination" so it's superior to all these home made efforts that, you know, somehow manage to race Dakar, around various road racing motorsport tracks across the globe or ply the autobahns and mountain passes of Europe at high speed etc. :lol3

Because try as I might, I can't seem to recall ural partaking in any of those leisure pursuits with their factory sidecar.

[​IMG]
    kbaitis likes this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just because occasionally folks make goofy comments about the supposed merits or flaws of a Ural.... or custom..... or homemade rig, it doesn't necessarily define it's actual merits, or flaws, and as such should be taken with a grain of salt, if not outright ignored.
    Because a Jeep YJ doesn't handle like a Range Rover, doesn't mean it's inherently flawed. Different vehicle, different characteristics, different set of compromises.
    A Ural is a utility vehicle, not a purpose built desert racer, or Autobahn blaster, so why be surprised they're not put to such use?

I kinda wounder if you actually want to know, but Ill try anyway.

The 2019/2008 and newer 2wd Urals handle better than 2007 and older Urals because... The swingarm pivots have roller bearings instead of rubber bushings, Sachs shocks instead of Russian shocks, taper roller steering bearings instead flat race ball steering bearings, and a hydraulic damper instead of a friction damper. It would be fair to say the setup and geometry of 2wd Urals is slightly compromised from ideal to accommodate the 2wd drivetrain.

The 1wd cT, Retro, M70 handle better than the 2wd Urals because... They have 18" wheels instead of 19"wheels. The sidecar frame sits lower, the tub itself sits lower on the frame, and the sidecar wheel has more lead.

The E-cT is a cT that Zero motorcycles converted to electric. It handles better than other Urals because the motor and batteries concentrate the weight much lower, and spreads it out between the bike and sidecar.
    Bar None, Wolfgang55 and kbaitis like this.
  15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean...like the statement Fozzie the Drop Bear was responding to?
    Convert a car to a truck? That's gotta be the silliest analogy ever.
    kbaitis, Hi-De-Ho and Oilhed like this.
  16. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Wow it must be winter and of course the OP is a woman the old cavaliers are all trying to be helpful :-).
    Back to the future, a Ural experience would still be the easiest way to get started and if you didn't like it get back out without suffering much.GS based sidecars are the swiss army knife of sidecars they do everything ok and are the midsized pickup truck of sidecars. The older ones(1100/50) are the most versatile but they are old and often need some love. The Ural's have a strong following of people who like doing maintenance and don't mind staying off the interstate.
    You should also call Claude http://freedomsidecars.com/ he may know of something for sale somewhere.
    There are also double wide sidecars that allow allot more room for you and dog example here:https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/d/2002-calif-friendship-iii-2/6733855299.html Lots of room huge trunk but takes a larger rig to haul around.
    Another place to shop https://sidecar.com/forum/
    Back to the present find Ural dealer get a ride and a driving lesson decide where you want to g. We have had people spend 10k and sell it in 6months and then regret that also_Onward
    kbaitis, Prmurat and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  17. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    One way to get into sidecars on the lower end of the price spectrum is the Sputnik sidecars we offer. $3495 for a NOS sidecar that comes with proper bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware. I ran an F800GS my self for a while with a sidecar, the bike worked really well, I had not planned on selling it until a traveler came by from Alaska on his way to the tip of South America on a once in a life time trip that he had been planning for years. The nearly new Ural he was doing it on proved to be less then reliable and he was concerned about having to leave it along side the road with his wife and daughter while he went for help. So I sold them my bike. Of course if you want some thing a lot fancier then the Sputnik we make these as well. We are located near Seattle which is about 300 miles from the Oregon California boarder. So a good days travel if you want to come up, see some sidecars in person and learn more about sidecars. Having done some where around 1400 dual sport sidecars now, we have a lot to offer. Also if you were to head up this way, several people who have posted responses to your thread live near by and in general most people with sidecars are happy to show them to you and give you a ride.
    Helge Pederson of Globe riders is going to a lot of BMW dealers this winter and putting on talk about world traveling, he will be on the BMW R1200GSA / M72D sidecar we built for him. You might check to see if he will be anywhere near your area. He puts on a fun to listen to presentation. Not long ago he took the sidecar bike we built for him to Ushuaia.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
    'Rett Butler, BWeber and kbaitis like this.
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, and there's been such comments made about custom, and homemade rigs too.
    Everybody drinks some kool-aid, and some go overboard, but that doesn't mean the reality is the opposite, or warrant claiming its so.

That said, any motorcycle that was built to accommodate a sidecar such as Ural, and older Harleys and BMWs will have some inherent advantages within their ability level, but that doesn't mean other bikes can't be as good, it will just call for some additional effort/money.
    Wolfgang55, JustKip and kbaitis like this.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    C2010F81-A4F1-47A4-AD4E-A8C51A0D9E68.jpeg
  20. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    also, just now getting the hang of this post thing... except now I'm apparently responding to the "Terrible sidecar ambassador" LOL... whose input I also appreciate...
    triumphsidehack and FR700 like this.