So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    also, the decision to buy has pretty much been made, knowing the way my husband and I operate... now it's time to find the machine :)
    Malamute, JustKip, bete and 1 other person like this.
  2. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I look forward to perusing your website!
  3. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had proposed Bri and I take a visit up there, but Bri suggested calling him. We'll see what Chris prefers :). He imports these amazing sidecars from the Netherlands!
    Wolfgang55 and JustKip like this.
  4. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very helpful and sweet, too. I will look at the sources you mention.
  5. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best thing about owning a sidecar is learning to weld.
    But that could just be me. :pep
    Malamute, JustKip, flei and 3 others like this.
  6. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Just as a point of clarification, that's Ara's site. He was also a member here at one time.

Chilipepper' bought Ara's rig.
    kbaitis likes this.
  7. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    aha, understood- it's becoming more clear
    thank you
  8. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    That rig has a long and storied history.

9. cluedog

cluedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are welcome to stay at my guest apt in Port Townsend if you take the sidecar class in Silverdale.
    The class is fun and worth the two days. You could also probably meet Drone, a wealth of info on sidecars and dogs.
  10. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification.

I am honored to be the current custodian of this rig. Unfortunately, my firefighting/EMT duties have prevented me from having the time to ride it as Ara had intended. He (and I) wanted to have it continue on its journey of exploration. I also think it should be sort of a rolling display to honor Lance, Spirit and Ara so I hate to see it locked up in my shop. That is why I put it up for sale.

If it doesn't sell then I hope to get some time later next summer/fall (depending on the fire season) to start using it more. :clap
  11. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, incredibly nice of you!
  12. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to share so I can look at it? I'm not the most skilled at navigating this site :)
    Been watching AriSpirit videos- exactly what we want to do as a family
  13. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @kbaitis , to jump into this conversation.....I was recently in the same boat as you and Brian. (hey, get out of my boat, we're sinking) :imaposer

I've been riding since the dawn of man(woman), 48 years, Two Million Miles, and all 7 continents.....and my wife rides her own bikes.
    We decided earlier this year to get into sidecars. But, before making the big money purchases, let's find a lesser expensive rig that is already put together, and "test the waters".....to see if we liked riding/driving a sidecar rig.

Found one locally, bought it for a very cheap price, brought it home, did ALL the mechanical items to it, cleaned it up, removed the unwanted stuff...and made it 100 % road-worthy. Wife and I both test rode it, individually and at times together.

Bottom line, we LOVE riding/driving sidecars, so have upped our timeline and are adding bigger/newer sidecars to our Honda Goldwing 1800 bikes..so that we each have our own rigs.

I know you say you are a passenger.

I did some Internet searching for YOUR area.....not much to choose from for sidecar rigs within Nor Cal or Nevada...that are listed in Craigslist.

That one from @ChiliPepperGarage might be a good choice, for a "boat to test the waters". Remove the 937 stickers that are holding it together, and if it still stands up on its' own, then ride the heck out of it. :jack

I also took the 2 days classes up in Washington, which just happens to be where I live, and....apparently ALL the really good sidecar pilots live in Washington :imaposer

In this state, it is the law that to operate a trike or sidecar...any 3 wheeled vehicle, we have to be "endorsed" for that on our DL.

The classes are good, BUT......in the classes I took in 2013.....the sidecars they had available for the class members were all pieces of junk....maybe worth $ 500.00 each. If you get a sidecar BEFORE taking the class, I would advise bringing your own sidecar to the class, and using it.

There is a wealth of knowledge on these sidecar forums, so read......and absorb. As stated above by others...DRONE is a sidecar guru, and we listen to him.

The rig we bought...to test the waters: Has now been sold to another inmate here, that lives 100 miles south of you.

'86 Wing and Sidecar 012.jpg '86 Wing and Sidecar 018.jpg

And the rig that is right this minute being married together, at DMC.....

Going to be Married 005.jpg Going to be Married 006.jpg
    kbaitis likes this.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I won't call it "THE" link but here is "a" link ---->

15. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, excellent, thank you. I agree about using one's own rig at the class, so that'll happen. The dearth of sidecars here is astounding to me, but we have family in both Washington and Oregon and don't mind traveling as we make our way forward. I'm getting pretty psyched!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  16. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    kbaitis likes this.
  17. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the mention but it would be blasphemy to remove the stickers! :dirtdog:hair:arg:becca:bluduh:hung:eekers
    Malamute, kbaitis, JustKip and 3 others like this.
  18. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    And this was the day .... Drone got Guru status!!!
    JustKip, kbaitis and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  19. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is some acceptance of "keeping and maintaining" old stickers on a bike, to show its' heritage, and where it has been.
    This case may, or may not, be one of those times. :imaposer

If the decision is to keep the stickers in place......the new owner "could" take the bike to be pressure washed, then down to the local Earl Scheib paint shop, and get one of those $ 99.00 paint jobs...in a mono color scheme. :zilla
    kbaitis likes this.
  20. cog8603

cog8603 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We don't travel quite as light. :)

20180427_114927.jpg