So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    When it sold initially, as now, I didn't consider the rig because of the stickers and heritage. It's worth the asking price, for something to just kick around on, but I would neither ride it like that, nor take the stickers off. It should go to somebody who will appreciate what it was, more than is.
    kbaitis, Strong Bad and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    To me travel stickers are kind of like a badge of honor where you and your equipment have been. If I didn't use that equipment to go to the place the sticker was from, it didn't get put on that rig. Personally, if I bought a used rig, I would remove all of the previous owner's stickers.
    kbaitis, Oilhed, BJMoose and 3 others like this.
  3. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    I would agree for a normal rig but this one is special (in my opinion). Because of its history I think it should remain intact. When I do ride it if I get asked about it I am quick to tell Ara's story and direct people to his website. As I said, I am just the current custodian. Taking off the stickers or painting it would make it just an old BMW and not the special rig that it is.
  4. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chili, the idea of painting it....was a joke.

A joke. :-)

Hence, the reference to Earl Scheib
    kbaitis and davebig like this.
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    If the rig is considered to so special that the removing the stickers would somehow devalue it, then to me it would be more of a museum piece rather than something used for what the OP is looking for.
  6. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I fully understand the significance of a rig with providence. I had the opportunity to use and purchase a sidehack that to some has historical value in the Southern California off road racing community.

photo (9).JPG

Woody & Jackie at the 1970 Elsinore Grand Prix (the race was made famous in the On Any Sunday film).

photo (8).JPG

My intent was to get it into vintage racing condition so I could race it at the next Catalina GP (which was never came about). I put the bike on display at the Hopetown GP reunion and was told by numerous collectors that it was stupid to touch it or even re-wrap the bars. I gave the rig back to the owner as I don't have a personal museum and I also feel that once you park something like this never to be used again, it is no longer a sidehack, it is now mechanical art. There were also people around who knew and had connections to the history of the rig and I felt that it would be better for them to have it.
  7. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stickers on a previous owners M/C are his memories, scrape them off and make your own memories. :1drink
  8. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    It's not about the value, it's about what it represents. Rather than it sitting in a museum gathering dust, much like vintage racers it deserves to be ridden and used. This old horse still has a lot of good miles left in her and it not ready to be put out to pasture!

If the OP is not interested I'll get to riding it more at some point. At some point I just might give it to my nephew (with the stipulation that he never scrapes off the stickers!). :D

Now, can we get off the whole sticker thing and give this thread back to the OP?
  9. cog8603

cog8603 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    my buddy bought a used KLR from a close friend. the bike had lots of mileage and lots of stickers. he left them on to show respect for what the bike had been through and what the previous owner accomplished with it. it was a badge of honor for the bike and he's sentimental about his bikes. I don't know if I'd leave them on, but I can understand why my buddy did.
    Bobmws, norton(kel) and kbaitis like this.
  10. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Unless Chris has changed, and I doubt that he has, he is strictly BMW.
    kbaitis likes this.
  11. Malamute

Malamute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I sidetrack somewhat and ask for more clarification of this point?

In my case, it will be a 65 lb dog and generally tools, dog water, and various amounts of junk along on any given short ride. Is someone riding on the back of the bike a bad idea? Bike is 84 Harley Low Rider, variously listed as 610-630-ish lbs wet weight. Sidecar will be DMC currently residing in BMWBuds garage or shed.
    kbaitis and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Of course it can be done, how well it handles and your ability to handle it are another matter. It's all about weight distribution, tip over points and other nerdy technical details.
    kbaitis, Hi-De-Ho, FR700 and 3 others like this.
  13. Malamute

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks. Ill study on the matter some more. Maybe I'll pick up some bags of sand at Rural King I can use as ballast in the car while getting it figured out.
  14. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Ok well sidecars at best are unbalanced asymmetrical vehicles , its best to load them up as evenly as possible .
    Imagine a triangle between the 3 wheels center line, one wants the load in the middle if at all possible. Sidecars are much lighter than the tug having more load in the sidecar makes it allot easier for the driver to deal with.
    When driving a properly set up rig they only want to go straight under even throttle application. acceleration causes it to pull to the right (the chair) deceleration causes it to twist to the left and that's how you steer a sidecar unbalancing those forces cause problems turning toward chair sends weight toward tug and away from the chair loads sidecar suspension.
    It's about the weight and managing it ! Unless your petite ultra marathoner or eating disorder ride in the chair.
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    With all but Urals being custom assembled, how any particular rig is set up makes a huge difference in how it handles. While there is a range within how a rig is set up that will work well, there is always a degree of what fits an individual rider's skill set, or how hard an individual wants to work at driving a rig. A prime example is steering modifications, on some rigs it is absolutely needed, on other's it is personal preference. How the rig will be used also plays a huge role in a sidecar's set up.

Mr. Big hits the nail on the head, it's is all about weight distribution and balance. A lot can be done with both, but there are limits.
    kbaitis, Bobmws and Malamute like this.
  16. davebig

Oddometer:

Eastern block stuff ! Imagine our trusted leaders there worried about the communist hordes :lol3 WTF
    kbaitis, airheadDan, Hi-De-Ho and 4 others like this.
  17. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny video thanks, that first rig looked like he was ridin a shopvac [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    kbaitis likes this.
  18. Malamute

Oddometer:
    The car will likely be primarily dedicated to dog use. Besides the question of what to do with the dog if a person rode in it, it probably wont have the lower cushion, and the nose may end up being dedicated lockable cargo space. If a person goes along, it looks like it will be on the bike.

As a correlation, the rear seats in my 4runner were folded down the day I got it for dog space and Ive never had a human in the back or driven it with them up since. Thinking of removing them and making a level platform with storage space underneath.

Looking at Aras old sidecar rig, mine may develop that "lived in" look before too long. :)
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    index.png
    kbaitis, Hi-De-Ho, Malamute and 3 others like this.
  20. davebig

Oddometer:
    :fpalm:fpalm Strong and DRONE are too polite to act like this so I'll go ahead. Why did you bother asking us at all ?
    The majority of sidecar and dog owners carry passenger and dog in the chair !