So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice vid Dave, was that shot in Rochester?:-)
    Bobmws likes this.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Australian Shepherd in my avatar weighs about half of what her dog does. Sometimes he rides with a 130 lb woman, but if he was twice as big they wouldn't both fit.
    But, to your point, I wouldn't consider carrying a passenger on the bike with a light load in the chair. I have the car battery between the tub and tug, and that helps a lot with NO passenger anywhere. Personally, I don't like the idea of a passenger on the bike at all.
    kbaitis and Malamute like this.
  3. Malamute

Malamute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because I wondered how much of an issue it is. The original comment I was asking about was regarding a 45 lb dog in the car and a person on the bike, and she was advised against it. If its a certain major extinction level event, Id not take someone on the bike. If a matter of weight, bike, etc as has been said, its not a simple yes/no. Some just said "just ride a person in the car" as the simple answer, which isnt workable for my situation, the dog has the car*. The question then becomes if a person could go. From what was said, it looks workable, so long as the car and bike work well together and the car has enough weight to balance it out. Hence the Rural King bags of sand for ballast idea. 60 lb bags for under $3 ea. Probably good to do even with the dog in the car and no person on the bike until I get it figured out some, and get my load of junk sorted out when I do day trips or short trips.

From my general habits, Id suspect I may have 50-75 lbs of junk in the car besides the dog at any given time. If you saw the old pic of my bike with the deer, that load (minus the deer) was pretty much on the bike most of the time, i was always going somewhere camping or roaming.

*ETA: The sidecar wasnt with the intent of hauling the dog OR a person, just the dog and will likely be modified in some ways that riding a person in it may not be practical.
    kbaitis likes this.
  4. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Those of us who have a cargo box, will for various reasons, find that we still need to carry a passenger from time to time. Having them sit on the back of the bike was always interesting and not something that I'd look forward to, nor recommend to a novice.

Easiest way was to just plonk them on top of the cargo box.

IMGP3037.JPG
  5. Malamute

Oddometer:
    ^^^ And this. Im in the steep learning curve. Maybe the questions arent always spot on, but I'm trying to figure it out. All the generous replies are very helpful, even if old news to many. I hope to avoid some of the hazards others may have discovered the hard way. If you want to know about swapping barrels on S&W revolvers, fitting hands, adding clean sling mounts to Winchester carbines, reloading ammo, building log cabins, ask, id be glad to share what i know. :)
  6. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    I asked Claude about carrying a passenger on the bike once. He answer was something like, not a lot of difference between two people adding up to 300 lbs or one 300 lb rider. The rig needs to be set up right.

SWMBO rides behind me on the Kwack much of the time. But it’s not your standard rig.
    YMMV
    kbaitis, Hi-De-Ho, davebig and 2 others like this.
  7. Malamute

Oddometer:

Thank you. Thats very good information and helps understand how some of this works.
    kbaitis likes this.
  8. Malamute

Oddometer:
    What are the differences that make riding a passenger on the bike less of an issue?
  9. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ask away, sure you'll get some cantankerous replies. Its the nature of forums I guess and you've probably experienced on gun forums as well. A lot of your questions will fall into place once your riding your rig. Having some ballast in the tub is a nice idea. I still have a couple sand tubes in mine and will most likely take them out after a little riding in the spring. Can't wait for warmer weather.
    kbaitis and Malamute like this.
  10. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

outback reverse gear
    brstar, Bobmws and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  11. Malamute

Oddometer:
    I think he may have misunderstood the nature of the question or comment, but Ive had a lot of very good replies to my numerous beginner questions over the past few months. I think Im starting to get a better feel as to what to expect when it happens. This winter should see major progress on getting the sidecar in hand and getting it set up. Im looking forward to getting to ride with the car, and start taking the dog out. She gave the poor dog look when she knew I was riding the bike on the couple short rides Ive done.
    kbaitis likes this.
  12. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    A wide track and heavy sidecar
    brstar, kbaitis, Strong Bad and 3 others like this.
  13. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Malamute your not the OP are you the Original posters significant other ? If you have 2 riders in the tug and only a 65 pound dog in the chair it's going to be a dodgy operation till you get the hang of it and ballast will help. Whatever !
    kbaitis, Malamute and JustKip like this.
  14. Malamute

Oddometer:
    No, Im not her SO, just a curious bystander that thought some clarification of something brought up could help me and anyone else in the same level of learning. I wasnt trying to imply I was going to do whatever i wanted and disregard any advice, my intent was to learn what the differences were that made it problematic, and if i may be able to deal with them effectively. The car probably wont be suitable for a person with no lower seat and possibly the nose used for cargo space. It will likely have some weight, as its been mentioned in the past and here in this thread that some ballast is beneficial to new sidecar drivers. If I dont feel its safe to carry a person on the bike, at first, or whenever, I just wont. I respect your input and experience, and have benefited from all the information shared here and elsewhere since Ive been a member here. I just didnt think you may have understood where i was coming from in the comment I made. If i take a passenger, it will most likely be on the bike. if its not safe on my rig for whatever reason, my experience level, the bike, or whatever, i just wont. The dog gets priority in the car though. Thats all I was getting at.
    kbaitis likes this.
  15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that too, but I remember that Australian wanker with the F700 who hijacked his own thread under a different name, and didn't want to make the same mistake that I did then! It's just hard to know when it's appropriate to throw a verbal beating these days
    I'm betting on dodgy even for an experienced hack pilot. It's a heavy tug and a light chair to begin with.
    kbaitis likes this.
  16. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Jeeze, ya just scared the crap outta me until I realized who you were talking about :lol3

Putting a passenger on the back wouldn't be my first suggestion to him. Once he gets some seat time things may change.

17. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

With an F 700, not an FR 700
    kbaitis, FLYING EYEBALL and FR700 like this.
  18. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    The nose of the sidecar tub is for light stuff keep real weight toward the rear.
    kbaitis, Malamute, Hi-De-Ho and 3 others like this.
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great!! How about helping me build an off grid 1,000 sqft log cabin in Deerlodge/Anaconda MT??
    kbaitis, Malamute, Hi-De-Ho and 4 others like this.
  20. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, wide, heavy and low. And heavy sprung.

4D19DE50-E345-4E1E-958F-74F182A44878.jpeg 0214BE8B-EAB9-45F7-9D6A-3678C2A2A9F9.jpeg