So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    That makes me all hot and tingly in my private no-no place!
    High Octane likes this.
  2. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    not a lot of difference between two people adding up to 300 lbs or one 300 lb rider. The rig needs to be set up right.
    ^^This^^
    Adding the weight of a passenger on the bike will change the set up of the rig, mostly effecting the lean out, which changes how you go down the road, pulling right or left.
    Malamute and High Octane like this.
  3. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, thats good to know. My first thought was to put a bag of sand up front and one in the trunk.

If you are serious, send me a PM. Ill let you know what tools are useful and some things that could make it easier rather than figuring it out after a lot of hard work that may not have been necessary.

Thank you. All good information.

With all due respect to all the people that have extended the voice of experience to us beginners, I am curious about how things work. When i hear "dont do this" or "this is how most people do it", but no reasons to explaining whys or hows, I want to understand the mechanics of the matter. The default comment on gun forums when discussion working on S&W revolvers generally runs along the lines of "dont take the sideplate off, they are full of tiny swiss watch parts that launch themselves across the room, never to be seen again, take it to a qualified gunsmith only". Same for fitting hands or doing barrel swaps or work. "You need hundreds of dollars of special equipment and years of training or youll ruin it".

Fortunately I hadnt heard any of that when i started messing with them, got some good advice along the way, and figured some of it out. Yes, there are things that can happen, and its good to recognize them and watch for them, but, so far I havent had any of the problems mentioned that require a lathe or special tools when swapping barrels, (if I did, I would stop and find someone who did or not do the swap) nor found any multitude of tiny swiss watch parts inside S&Ws. Building log cabins seems to be regarded as some mysterious dark art today. Studying up on it, and figuring out what the writers were talking about when doing it firsthand helped understand its actually pretty simple, with some bits of knowledge that can help save time and hard work later.

Sidecars are obviously more complicated than they first appear, but there are many people willing to help new people get a grip on the issues. Some have overcome things that others avoid or havent worked out. That is one of the great things about forums like this. Knowledge can be found with less risk of negative outcomes. My apologies if i sidetracked the thread too much. It seemed less distracting at the time. There has been some very good information shared in any event. Thank you to all who have shared their experience and knowledge.
  4. Malamute

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words. I have a thread going here that I will update as I make progress. I will pick up the car in Jan, it may be feb before i can afford the mounting hardware. I hope my posts will in time show some places I go and enjoy the rig. I also hope kbaitis keeps us updated on her sidecar dream and making it happen.
    kbaitis and Bobmws like this.
  5. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I've enjoyed the hijacking LOL. Am lurking on the forum and attempting to make progress on this dream, too!
    Malamute, Bobmws, FR700 and 2 others like this.
  6. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    LOL. Best post in the whole thread so far:lol3
    Malamute, brstar and kbaitis like this.
  7. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, whoo, so achingly slow progress, but my husband has communicated with Ski in the Bay Area (Urals) and we will visit... also attempting to cross the Sierra to visit another ADV member in Nevada, but am so far thwarted by snow... but! things are happening! I can't WAIT!!!
  8. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anticipation [​IMG]

Malamute and kbaitis like this.
  9. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's happening! Jumping up and down so excited! We went to see the aforementioned Ski and are now Uralites?
    So now need advice from those who might know:
    We need to transport the rig from San Jose to Davis, California. (We do not have AAA and can't get Premier AAA membership as new members, FYI).
    Wheeeee! Now to get it, then to learn!
  10. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    uHaul trailer with 'drop down' gate...the 'ramp gate' isn't wide enough

congrats on becoming a 'foil head'
  11. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new Ural!

Some dealers will deliver for free if its a short distance or for a generally fair fee for longer distances. My local pittsburgh dealer was running deliveries as far as Minnesota. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Also recall someone recently renting a uhaul box truck big enough to fit a ural. They bought a couple ramps from harbor freight and off them went. My local tractor supply store rents aluminum trailers. Maybe you can find something like that local to you.
    kbaitis likes this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    It's only 150 miles. I think I'd jump in with both feet. You and Brian drive down there. Pick up 100 lbs of ballast for the car. Pre-plan a good route. Brian drives it home. You follow right behind so that the tailgaters will be tailgating you and not Brian. If really worried about no AAA, bring some cash and your smartphone so you can find a tow truck using Google Maps. :D

If you want to get really fancy, Brian wears a Bluetooth headset in his helmet paired to his phone so you can do the navigating from the comfort of your car and keep him alerted to upcoming turns and whatnot. If you guys don't have a set of Bluetooth headsets already, might as well buy them now because they are surely something you'll be wanting down the road.

Only other suggestion is to stop once an hour and take a breather. I'm often surprised by how much better I drive my rig after a short rest.
    FR700, Hi-De-Ho and kbaitis like this.
  13. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ski has a transporter.... he used to do it himself but I guess grew tired of it! Just ask him!
    kbaitis likes this.
  14. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If you have no experience with driving a sidecar rig, I don't suggest you get straight out on the road. Instead, is there a snowmobile dealer close by? A flatbed, tilting, double snowmobile trailer is perfect for a sidecar rig. If you could pay them to transport the outfit for you or rent a trailer from them for a day would be perfect.
    kbaitis likes this.
  15. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    A snowmobile dealer in San Jose? :lol3

Does anyone know the track width of the Ural? I'm thinking a U-haul car hauler might work. You'd probably have to tell them you're going to be moving a Civic or something though. I'm sure a Ural isn't listed in their computer!
    Bobmws and kbaitis like this.
  16. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    working on a solution... it may be coming together... of course I will let y'all know!
    Bobmws likes this.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I got my first Ural, I rode it the 150 miles home with no prior sidecar experience. Before going through Seattle I stopped at a hardware store, and got a couple of sandbags for ballast. I took it easy and didn't have any issues.
  18. Malamute

Oddometer:

Thats my plan to start, a couple 60 lb sandbags at home improvement or hardware stores, $3.50-$5 each.
    kbaitis likes this.
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people are against using ballast, but I didn't have any experience, and It was required for the STEP class I took the following weekend. I don't think I picked up any bad habits using it for a week.
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    K--as they say in Parliament, "Hear him! Hear him!"
    kbaitis and Bobmws like this.