So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We were not brave enough, AND it would take a lot of time and coordination to drive the thing home. BUT... EEEEP! it arrives this evening! I look forward to the learning and continuing this relationship with this great community.
    Malamute, Bobmws, brstar and 2 others like this.
  2. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (perhaps we are the only couple who purchased a rig without ever driving/riding in one LOL)
  3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Built my first one without ever having so much as sat in one, let alone ride one.
    norton(kel), Malamute, brstar and 2 others like this.
  4. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    may I ask how old you were at that time?
  5. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Mentally or physically?
    Malamute, kbaitis, Strong Bad and 2 others like this.
  6. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    alright, alright, rude of me ha, typical
  7. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    You weren't rude.

I'm of the opinion that the physical body and our consciousness don't develop at the same pace.
  8. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    indeed, I agree
    Malamute, FLYING EYEBALL and Bobmws like this.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I might be getting old, but I refuse to grow up!"
  10. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Well? Where are the pictures? You're killing us here! :D
    JustKip, kbaitis and Bobmws like this.
  11. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bahahahaha- probably this weekend, when we start our self-taught lessons LOL. I can hardly believe this has happened...
    Malamute, JustKip and FR700 like this.
  12. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im putting one together and never ridden one, known anyone that had one or even sat in one either. i did sit in my car in the garage, Im glad Ill be driving the bike and the dog gets the car.
    BMWBUD, kbaitis, JustKip and 2 others like this.
  13. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    HaHa Same same, promptly drove it into the ditch. :imaposer
    kbaitis, brstar, Bobmws and 2 others like this.
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started obsessing about them 7-8 years before buying one, and had driven 5 Urals by then. I kept wanting a little more performance .I drove my friends' Urals every chance I got
    kbaitis and Bobmws like this.
  15. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Be prepared for what the **** have I done moment and don't be discouraged if that happens. That is a common first reaction. I was very curious about sidecars for decades before trying my first one. The poor widow trying to sell the Gold Wing rig I nearly wrecked didn't know to ask me if I had any experience and I didn't have a clue. A curvy mountainous road was not the best place to begin and I nearly went over a cliff. That cooled my enthusiasm for a few years. I tried a Ural at a demo day with a little instruction and it was a better result. I did decide I could build a better rig (for me) using my BMW Airhead and all is well. I am part of a sizeable minority that still prefers 2 wheels but the sidecar is a unique and very enjoyable experience, especially after a little time with it.
    JustKip, kbaitis, Bobmws and 4 others like this.
  16. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I rode my first outfit at a motorcycle rally in Texas (about 1972). When I got home, I was offered a 1938 Swallow and had to have it. Since then I've had a multitude of sidecars and have loved them all. I keep at least one solo bike and one outfit but the outfit gets a lot more use!
  17. BMWBUD

BMWBUD This isn't my first sidecar rodeo.

Oddometer:
    Good advice. I gave up too soon with the first one. Now I know better.
  18. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my first one without ever test riding it. I had never ridden any kind of sidecar. No Problem.
    My 75# dog just barks at it. She will get in, but if I start the engine, she goes ballistic. We use her for pictures for our Christmas card.
    I hope your dog is a team player. I also took the sidecar course in Seattle right after I bought my rig. Real good information and experience.
    Happytrails63, Hi-De-Ho and kbaitis like this.
  19. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    My hack mentor was "Bad Ralphie" because he's the only one I knew that had one.
    His was an American Spirit attached to a Z-1 Kawasaki. In this forum I learned that it's an undesirable combination of a too light sidecar hooked to a fairly heavy motorcycle. Oh, well.
    Anyway there came a day when upon being asked he allowed me and another buddy to take it out for a spin. I had never even sat in one at the time. And off we went , hmm this thing isn't a bike anymore and it's not a car either . After a few miles we switched positions and then it was Mike's turn to figure it out.
    I guess we both did O.K. , we brought the rig back unharmed so , we stayed unharmed as well.
    Then a year or so later I bolted a Spirit frame to my personal Z-1. Once it was on and the bike would stand on three wheels I jumped on and headed up the gravel drive. After 100 or so feet I was feeling bored so , I grabbed a handful of throttle. Well , that was in hindsight probably a mistake.
    There was a 3 foot bank to the left with a row of maple trees planted about 40 feet apart. The outfit headed left and while trying to figure which tree we were going to hit I had a moment of clarity . I decided not to hit any tree , cranked the bars hard left and stabbed the rear brake and shot the gap.
    Having managed to live through the trial period. I rolled back to the house and bolted the body on.
  20. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep em coming, your experiences. Gives me heart. I had no desire to learn, but now maybe I will give it a whirl myself, ha. Maybe. It’s pretty intimidating. I don’t “drive” motorcycles.
    Happytrails63 and High Octane like this.