So very new- but I want a sidecar!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kbaitis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You should give it a try. Learning how to ride is an amazing experience. :)

[​IMG]
    Hi-De-Ho, DRONE, Bobmws and 3 others like this.
  2. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gone n done it! IMG_7594.JPG
  3. kames

kames Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fabulous!
    kbaitis likes this.
  4. BMWBUD

BMWBUD This isn't my first sidecar rodeo.

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone is ready to go! Good on ya.:clap
    kbaitis likes this.
  5. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Cute puppers! So, how did the first ride go?
    kbaitis likes this.
  6. costarado

costarado Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am actually contemplating selling a damn near new 2017 DMC Expedition sidecar. less than 250 miles. paid in the mid teens for it and its DECKED OUT. Had it delivered and hooked up to out GSA in Denver. Only catch it, we now are stationed in Europe... so you would have to slow boat it home if you bought it. Good luck!
    kbaitis likes this.
  7. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are taking it slowly with introducing the dog- Nene is neurotic, to say the least. So she gets into and out of the sidecar easily, and for now, sits squished NEXT to me on the seat (the floor is too weird and scary right now). I'm thinking we will find a way to create a shorter seat so there is more floor room. Also remove the windshield for more room. The noise of the motorcycle is scary to her, but she lives to accommodate me, so she will get used to that. We had a terrifying (her) and satisfying (me) experience riding the beast from in front of the house into the garage- lots of high-value treats administered during and afterward. Brian is out of town this weekend, so no practice until the following weekend. But he and I did put a number of km on the rig last weekend, despite rain, getting to know and understand the handling. FUN. Just around town, until we trust that it won't die on us (seems to idle low). I am looking immensely forward to spring and summertime!
  8. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh yeah, this IMG_7482.JPG
  9. Happytrails63

Happytrails63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So cute [​IMG]
    kbaitis likes this.
  10. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    So thoughtful!
    kbaitis likes this.
  11. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Maybe give Nene her food in the car too (while stationary in the garage! :lol3). A small cushion/bed on the floor might help too.

I took the windshield off my Harley rig too because it took up a lot of room. My dog (Jack) will sit on the seat with his head up until around 40 MPH then he will lay down on the floor to get out of the wind so I may fab up a smaller windshield to mount on the cowl. I put one of his dog beds on the floor. It is one that he slept on in the house so he's used to it and I think it makes him more comfortable.

Attached Files:

bpeckm, Hi-De-Ho and Happytrails63 like this.
  12. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
  13. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats, Introduce Nene to the car slowly. Don't try and rush that first ride. If you can try and make the Car her safety spots she ( I assume Female ) should want to climb in. Once that is done then you start the engine etc. The first real ride Nene will get it, but keep it slow and short. I had the benefit of the fact that Lucy was a puppy and a brave one at that. She goes to work with me and will just hang out sitting in the car out front of the shop.
    Of course I do every thing else wrong, according to every one here. :lol3 Lucy is 80 lbs and there is not a lot of room in a Ural car so I took the seat out. Makes for a lot more room for Lucy and Cargo when she is not with me. No Ballast but when on a trip a hundred lbs of kit. Lucy is not allowed on trips as she stays with Mrs. B . When we all use the rig for short excursions Mrs. B sits on the bike behind me, she is stubborn and won't ride in the car. With no windshield it is not fun for a person anyway, the wind blast is pretty extreme. I adjust to how the bike performs, as in ride slower, plus having adjustable lean out I lower the car to compensate. Makes a huge difference, I will do this also when riding the twisties. But then remember, I do every thing wrong. 80 lbs of Lucy in the car helps as well as all the other stuff I have bolted or in the car trunk. I don't think I could ride with just Mrs. B on the bike with me. The car would be in the air all the time :imaposer
    Hi-De-Ho and kbaitis like this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s Jack waiting for @ChiliPepperGarage to get the heck on the road.

[​IMG]

I have a pic of Jack while rolling too but I can’t find it right now..

edit: found it!

In the short time we rode behind them, this was Jack's "cruisin' in town" stance, and, as was said, when we got on the highway he would mostly relax below the edge of the tub.

IMG_8232.jpg
  15. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Lucy will sit nicely up to about 50 mph. Faster she stands up or will lay down. I think the wind blast and the need for balance put her on 4 legs. The Rex-specs are a big help but be prepared to be a spectacle. I usually leave them off when I am running around town as it is too much for people. I keep the speed down at those times.
    IMG_1683.JPG
    Lucy in the early days of training

IMG_2540.JPG
    My favourite picture of Mrs. B and Lucy on one of our recent excursions

be prepared for many wonderful adventures
    Malamute, Hi-De-Ho, kbaitis and 6 others like this.
  16. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    awesome- glad you found the rolling picture :)
  17. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took our first spin WITH Nene around the block and neighborhood, feeding treats throughout- she is very accommodating (I may have mentioned that previously), so I know that she will accept the noise and relative discomfort- it's cozy as hell LOL. I need to find a way to shorten the seat so I have a little perch and she has more floor space. And I will teach her that the floor is cool, too, she doesn't have to be ON me. She isn't that dog who loves the wind in her nose, anyway, so I think her butt on the floor, facing me if she wants to sit and see, curled up "resting" on the floor if she doesn't, would be most comfortable for me. Brian and I are also practicing around town and now that the rain has stopped, on county roads. It's fun! A new slower way to take in the world and get about. Soon we will plan a longer loop locally and start exploring California.
  18. MGV8

Oddometer:
    You might be able to easily modify the seat in the car to give you more room. Basically plywood with foam and vinyl covering. Still it will be a bit of a squeeze, plus if you take longer trips You still need some comfort. Take your time< you'll figure it out.
    kbaitis likes this.
  19. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So happy to see you did it!.....hope you have a ton o fun with it...I certainly do....
    One piece of advice I offer is to always precede the ride with much enthusiasm....make a big deal out of it, treats, jumping around, "lets go for a ride.,".....etc....Never use the hack to ride to the vet!...;-)......
    Good luck with it and happy you didnt listen to the naysayers......
    My ol Boo always ready even,before it was finished.....
    [​IMG]
    Hi-De-Ho, FLYING EYEBALL and kbaitis like this.
  20. kbaitis

kbaitis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nene does it! Her accepted position is curled in the nose, shifting back and forth, every once in a while putting her nose out to sniff. She never was one for sticking her head out into the blasting wind. It's tight, but we are together and it works! Now we are planning our first northern California foray...

Attached Files:

Hi-De-Ho, Scooter007, Bobmws and 4 others like this.