So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you need to replace the Touratech gasket with a slightly thicker material too. I used Viton from a rubber supply shop.

Even then, after a year or so, the Viton can develop a ridge and break its seal. Just take it off and turn it over. Next time you may need to cut another gasket.
  2. Lucas602

Lucas602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I got some gasket material for fuel pumps, a little thinner than the oem rubber one, and cut a 2nd gasket for under the original one. It's a tight fit, and I hand filed the green tabs that lock into the tank until I could get it to close fully. I'm glad to know where to find the rubber now.

I replaced the oring on the lock mechanism with one for A/C lines, green in color.

09 BMW xcountry
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards, Ard
  4. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anydody knows the OEM spring rate and the preload static sag of our XCO fork?
    Thanks
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the stock spring rate is something like .49KG. I don't remember.

My stock sag was about 3 inches, 75 MM. With added preload spacers, I reduced front sag to just under 2 inches, 50 MM with the stock springs and added one-step heavier oil, #10. 690 ML fills the forks to the correct measurement from the top. The front end feels good and works much better now.
  6. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, thank again Leafman60. The progressive spring I got from hyperpro starts at 0.45kg.
    I'm not sure but I think you got a 2009 XCO. Is there any difference in the fork travel with the 2007 XCO?

240mm for the 2007 XCO
  7. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Have a look. Pm me if you see something you want. All parts pulled from my 09
    Since it's not the flea market, make an offer if you find value in any of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The HB racks and the caribou cargo will be the next to go.
  8. Lucas602

Oddometer:

What front fender is that? And how is it mounted? And what are those two straps/brackets on your right fork tube? Dampener? Nice looking bike.

09 BMW xcountry
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The straps next to the headlight ? They are there (rubber mountings) to fix the headlight/mask to the fork tubes.
    The front fender is from a KTM 85 cc mx bike. It says "ktm 85 04" on the underside.
    I just made up two brackets that the fender bolts to, which in turn is bolted to the bottom of the triple clamp. On a non abs bike it might be easier (if there are no brakelines under the triple)
  10. Lucas602

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I like it.

09 BMW xcountry
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the way, some time ago, I performed a front fender lift on my XCo. I had posted something about this a year or so ago.

Published suspension travel specs indicate that this could result in contact with the fender and the lower triple clamp upon full compression. I said what the hell and raised my fender 3/4 inch, about 15MM to give better mud release.

I just returned from a mountain trip where I hit a few good licks and the fender never came close to the triple clamp. Of course, remember that I have added another inch, 25MM, of preload to the stock springs. Maybe that helps.
  12. 4strokn

4strokn Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at the husky 650 bikes and was thinking how neat and tidy the dual exhaust set up is.
    With the exhaust set up like that I think the options for racks and packs opens up a little with both sides symmetrical. Looking at the exhaust pipe where it divides and manoeuvres around the shock it looks like it could be converted to the x bikes.
    Any thoughts
  13. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be a lot of sugar for a dime.
  14. Lucas602

Oddometer:

I got soft bags that open up 3", and offset my racks 3" for the exhaust. I expand the non-exhaust side first, and put a little more weight in it.

I believe most pre-fabed systems do the same. There's a post somewhere where someone ordered hard cases and one was 3" slimmer.

But in all fairness, I built my own racks so they would be exactly where I want. After I factored in the time it took, and I should have just bought a set. But I'm still satisfied. So do it if it's what you want.
  15. 4strokn

4strokn Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Whats a little more sugar
    :evil
  16. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do it ! Go for it ! It would look good! Remember, where there's a will and a wallet, there's a way.
  17. 4strokn

4strokn Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Ive got to spend it before the kids get to it.
    :D
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know but I may have found why some people are experiencing loose-fitting replacement sprockets. I had ordered a front sprocket for my 650 single from a reputable supplier and was assured it was the correct sprocket for the F series singles. Instead, I was shipped the 704 sprocket for the F650 twin rather than the 402 sprocket that fits the single. Apparently, the distributors themselves are confused with the nomenclature and do not realize there are two very different F650 bikes, one a single and one a twin with different sprockets for each.

The single, both the GS series and the now-discontinued X series, takes the 402 sprocket, 402.16 for the stock 16 tooth, 402.17 for the 17 tooth.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/6821

You can see the physical difference between the sprocket for the 650 twins and the sprocket for the 650 singles. The twins sprocket in thicker and fits a larger splined shaft with 17 splines whereas the singles sprocket is thinner and fits a smaller shaft with 22 splines.

I am not sure the twin sprocket will even fit in a 520 chain or in the sprocket cavity of the single so this may be an impossible mistake to make. I just wanted to post a notice to pay attention to which sprocket you install.

17T 650 twin sprocket on left, 16T stock sprocket for the singles on the right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Lucas602

Oddometer:

It may be one of two things, or more if someone else chimes in.

1. They don't like ethanol, and unburnt ethanol clogs up the idle actuator in the throttle body. Pull the throttle body apart and clean it.

2. There is an auto decompression on the exhaust cam. When warm it can flip down and open the exhaust valve slightly. BMW released an updated auto decompression lever, search this site for the part number. Check your valve adjustment and update the lever.

Judging by your problem happening when warm, I would guess the lever. But you mine as well clean the throttle body while you're in there.

I'm starting to wonder if the motor is finicky due to the light weight flywheel. If I have more problems (cleaning throttle body solved it), I'm going to update the decompression lever and then look into an alternator setup from a Dakar, which is slightly heavier and may help keeping it turning over.
  20. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    WooHoo !

I've got more range ! :clap

[​IMG]