So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry, when I said "needle," I was referring to the plunger, the shiny part of the solenoid that you show in your picture.

The symptoms that you describe DOES sound like an issue with this function of your fuel injection system. Intermittent issues like this are very frustrating. Many a wild goose chase has been launched by such a scenario.

Hey, I wonder about something. When you are underway and the bike is stalling, if you rev the engine when you clutch to keep the rpm's from dropping, will the engine will still stall? If revving the motor to avoid the throttle body from closing avoids the problem, then another big finger points to the idle situation.
  2. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope when you clean the actuator point, you also spayed some cleaner into the hole from which it came to clean the inside of the throttle body.
  3. uxc

uxc adventure nerd

Oddometer:
  4. Pescador

Pescador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To stop this problem a took one more step.

Remove PCV hose from bottom of air box. Extend hose so it reaches behind right side cover. Install small cone filter on end of hose.
    Open up air box, clean air box and throttle body with throttle body cleaner wile running. Open up idle accuator. Located on right side of motor three bolts, I think. Pull out , clean accuator and inside accuator housing. Reinstall parts.
    Use tectron cleaner every other tank. This should stop the problem.

Installing cone filter will keep the oil mist out of the air box and keep everything cleaner inside for a lot longer. I have had a cone filter for 6,000 mile and still don't have to change it yet.

Knock on wood everything is running Great!!!

Bret
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that could be several things but that does sound like an idle actuator problem.
  6. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where I can find a Leo Vince exhaust for my xcountry?
  7. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    No longer available there. But thank you. It appears Leo is no longer offered in US :huh
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Went out to start to sled today. Started fine...however, not a single electron on the dash. Not a oil or neutral light, not a mileage, not MPH? Fuze or ignition switch issue?
  10. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of getting rid of my XC. A guy has his eye on her and I think I might be pretty much done with her. I've had her for years, toured Europe and crossed from the UK to Asia through the middle-east and she's not so much as skipped a beat. However, she's starting to show her years. The rear subframe is creaking badly, the alloy is just not up to the abuse. She's starting to piss oil out and while the engine is still running fine, it now needs a lot of attention.
    I have an XR400 now and honestly, I prefer riding it. It's quicker, better offroad and is generally more fun.
    I don't know. Do I let her go? Would you?
  11. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look for a more recent XCO! :D
  12. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok...plan B:ear

Anyone do a mod to stock pipe to improve performance, reduce weight etc?

Thanks for your help. Just picked up a very nice and well maintained 08 with 7k. Previous owner added some Touratech goodies and TK80s. I am adding a few more Touratech and Wunder stuff for comfort. Taking her out for a 50 mile romp out in North Bend to get the relationship started. She will be used sparingly as a in town commuter/scrambler. 10% lumber roads.:evil
  13. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    LV went bankrupt now that you can't buy an aftermarket exhaust in the state of California.

See if the connector is still plugged into the back of the dash, otherwise I'd start with the ignition switch.
  14. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:

Where are you based? I'm looking for an xcountry. Don't mind getting my hands a little dirty. :D
  15. TymeRider

TymeRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Cali, but since I haven't been in the exhaust market in a while, haven't paid much attention to this. What changed? I assume some new CARB (CA Air Resources Board for those none CA inmates) regulation?

Doug
  16. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:

I'm from the UK but currently living in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Bit far for you?
  17. Lucas602

Lucas602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have a yellow one. In California.
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the US, those covers are about $250 new from BMW.
  19. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not know Leo Vince was no longer in business! Hmm

Their website seems to still be there.

I have several friends with late-model GS bikes who have bought LV mufflers through various distributors in the last 2 months.

One of my local shops is a LV dealer. I'll give them a call today and ask if they know anything about it.

Since the X bikes have been discontinued for 5 years now, I do expect offerings for these models to dry up.
  20. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok....did 60 miles on lumber roads outside of North Bend today as the first ride. Keeping my impressions simple.....I made a very good choice.