So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Erik RS

Erik RS Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer:
    Alas Simon, beyond prototyping already.

But they will be for sale :deal :D

Cheers mate
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The rack is doing pretty well protecting the tank against idiots in cars.
    What your view on that with the fairing Erik ?

[​IMG]

One stupid cow pulled out in front of me when I was crossing a roundabout.
    Awaiting the battle with her insurance... :jerko

Cheers, Ard
  3. Erik RS

Erik RS Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer:
    WARRANTY VOID :D

Hope you came out without serious damage Ard. If I remember well it was only 3 or 4 weeks back we mounted the rack?
    If you need any paperwork or quote for the insurance you know where to find me.

Fairings aren't very protective in collisions asfaik :wink:
    Though the damage at normal falls often isn't too bad since usually the handlebars take the first hit.
  4. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Yeah I survived pretty much unscathed Erik.
    The bike has some scratches here and there but nothing wild.
    The insurance will have to cough up some serious money though because I just can't live with scratches on my bike :lol3
    If you could mail me the receipt for the rack please ? I forgot all about it.

All the best and regards from Tessa and me.
  5. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I installed the OEM bar weights with the Barkbusters. It is a bit of a pain as you have to mount further to the outside. I do like how it gives your hands some extra room on the outside.
    If you have tapered handlebars on the inside mount (like the 07's do), at least when I did this a few years back it was a giant PITA and I was not happy.

I have some tips here: LINKY

So overall I was not happy with the Barkbusters installation AT ALL, so unless they've improved the fit it was NOT customized for the 07 bars very well. By now I've laid it down a few times offroad and they have held up well.
  6. snooker

Oddometer:
    Changing the battery is easy and this bike is so proven to being very picky about voltage you should get a strong battery NOW, based on your video where it sounded very weak.
    Spark plugs: I've never even seen mine and I've owned it over 4 years now. After 40 years of motorcycling that is pretty embarrassing and frustrating that it is SO inaccessible. I'm afraid to do deep water crossing because of that too! :lol3 So I'm gonna have to dig into it sometime I guess. On THIS bike, what is a reasonable mileage interval to change plugs?

My idling is fairly erratic and I do have cold stalling issues sometimes when pulling up to a stop sign and pulling in the clutch. Previous times after cleaning the TPS it didn't help noticeably, neither did the throttle on/off reset procedure.

What I want to say is that your video shows a MUCH lower rpm to your idle speed than mine ever does. This high idle causes shifting into neutral while stopped issues with my Rekluse clutch but that is another issue. But I wonder if yours is especially low?

Does your stalling only occur when you pull in the clutch when stopping, or does it occur when you are riding and changing gears too?
  7. ModMan

ModMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I bought the BarkBusters without the weights and will add them later if I need to. Fitting them took me all of 30 mins on my 2009 model, they worked straight out of the box which is nice. No fiddling at all.

I bought them and the plastics from here:

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/barkbus...2-np-bmw-g650x-challenge-country-p-22916.html

The part number is BHG13.2-NP, I don't know if the .2 means it's a revision or anything as most other places just list the BHG13-NP for the X Country.

Either way, I'm happy and I'm sure one day I'll see how they hold up :)
  8. The Spanish Biker

The Spanish Biker The Essential Companion to Biking in Spain

Oddometer:
    Erik,

Is Aard's the same fairing as the one you are going to let me jave at 50% discount :rofl

If so i can take a sneak preview when he brings his bike to the HISS rally in the Pyrenees next weekend.

Aard - I hope you're not too fussy about scratches - you will fall over I assure you :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simon
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Not really worried about falling over Simon. That happened a few times in my life already :freaky :muutt :lol3

I think I might get me a fairing one day but till now it works plenty fine without.
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Based on everything you've said, I am not as much thinking your problem is the decompression lever.

Still, I think you should check the valve clearances (and maybe ask a BMW shop to tell you if your bike was in the decomp recall) and replace the spark plugs with the iridium plugs I mentioned earlier.

I think there may be something else happening here.

11. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just have to add short rave of using the XC as a commuter. I thought the Versys was the near perfect tool around town bike. But, the superior handling and gas mileage not to mention the upright riding position makes the XC a exceptional form of transportation around town. I will in a few thousand miles switch to Distanzias for treads. My custom K75 is still on tour with the builder in Southern Cal but not missing as much as I thought. Take good care of your XCs and I'm sure she'll take care of you.....Happy owner :freaky
  12. Alt_Red

Alt_Red Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had stalling issues a while back. I would start the bike and it would idle for a while then stall, I read through this tread several times all the while thinking my bike was idling to low, didn't do any of the fancy stuff identified here I just tightened up the cable and it's been fine since.

Saying that I am in uk and put 97 fuel in all the time so less likely to get a gunked up system.

On the down side my last mot guy said I had play in both my steering head bearing and my rear shock bearing
  13. snooker

Oddometer:
    Does this make sense to anyone? If so why would the throttle cable having a little free play in it cause it to die on the kickstand while idling?
  14. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    At last .....

A good news story :)
  15. Noillek

Noillek Nomada Portugues

Oddometer:

Hi, i Had the same issues and it turn out to be the lambda sensor... Try to remove it and give it a clean... In my case I just replace it. Stretching the Cable is not a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Alt_Red

Alt_Red Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Snooker here is my attempt at explaining why I think this worked for me, (I don't know what the parts are called so bear with me) it does assume that the spring throttle device should be offset from the beginning:

So you buy the bike and the throttle cable is taught and hold the spring thing at an angle (a)

[​IMG]

Then after a period of use the throttle cable stretches and the spring thing sits at an angle of (b) causing lower idling

[​IMG]

So when you tighten the throttle cable up it returns to position (a) and idling is normal again[​IMG]

Sorry if that sounds like complete rubbish and/or you can't read my writing
  17. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Idle running and adjustment on these bikes (and most fuel-injection engines) should not be made with the throttle cable. Idle is normally set with no tension on the cable and the t-body at rest on its stop.

Someone already mentioned the O2 sensor but don't overlook the spark plugs. I highly recommend those Denso iridium plugs I mentioned in a recent thread. Those plugs usually have a noticeable effect on idle.

Denso IX24 , 5372

http://densoiridium.com/ir_power.php

18. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I'd also have a look at the idle valve. If that's stuck or broken it wouldn't idle the way it should.
  19. Alt_Red

Alt_Red Adventurer

Oddometer:

Haha ok well in that case I'm way out of my depth!

I have some more questions for you gents, my front brake is rubbing badly, if I think about it it always has been rubbing slightly but after putting new brake pads in i can see the brake pad touching the inside of the disc. I've been googling around and not got anywhere with finding a solution.

Is the front brake on these bikes a floating front brake?

I'll put up some pictures when I get out from behind this desk //
  20. Viv

Viv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sliding calliper and non-floating disk