So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't.Just the rear rack, pannier racks, pillion pegs, and the silencer.

Ordered an M6 tap kit from ebay, hopefully all will go well.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy a helicoil kit so you get the correct tap, as a 6mm coil won't go into a 6mm tapped thread.

http://www.flandersco.com/Images/PDF/160-Thread Repair.pdf
  3. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time sert was better for me
  4. Jim Lad

Jim Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for some advice. I've just arrived in Morocco from UK heading down the west coast hopefully as far as Dakar in Senegal. XCo is running fine, a bit warm, but I had 37C today.

I have an Acerbis 5L tank fitted, plumbed into the main tank breather, with the non return valve removed. This setup worked well for the last 2,000 miles or so in UK, where the Acerbis empties first then the main tank.

What I'm seeing now is a very unreliable function of the Acerbis. Mostly it seems to run on the main tank, leaving the Acerbis full. Sometimes it takes some out of the Acerbis but still empties the main tank. Sometimes it shows the yellow light but then seems to take some out of the Acerbis particularly if I stop and the yellow light goes off as the main tank is partly replenished. The most worrying behavious was this evening in Rabat driving around the city, petrol started to come out of the breather in the Acerbis when I was stopped at lights or riding slowly.

Over the last couple of days I've checked connection to the breather which seems airtight, fuel cap (original but seems OK) I also had the fuel pump assy out some months ago and checked it was fuly screwed down. Now I'm struggling for ideas and with the petrol leak may have to disconnect Acerbis altogether.
  5. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The main gets hot and the fumes will try to get out via the Acerbis tank.
    I usually fill up the main tank, then the (in my case) X-tank.
    I then push the main tank's side in with my knee so there's air and some fuel pushed out into the aux. tank, this creates a bit of a vacuum and such fuel from the aux. tank (sort of priming it)

Hope you'll get by alright or you'll have to disconnect the aux. tank.

Ta, Ard
  6. Jim Lad

Jim Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ard. I'll think about that. One thought that comes from that is that if the Acerbis is not full then Petrol should not come out of the breather. So I'll try and back off on the filling, at least of the Acerbis, may not work perfectly but should stop the petrol escape.

Now thinking about it, it may be the heating of the air in the main tank, both warm engine and high air temp, is preventing the normal air vacuum from sucking the fuel out of the Acerbis. I have my Acerbis cased in a steel jacket, powder coated black, but not sure the Acerbis being warm would cause these issues. I wonder if anyone else has suffered similar issues in warm conditions.
  7. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    If hot air affects the acerbis then it's going to affect the xtank and other alternatives too. :(
  8. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    The normal problem with the siphon set up is pinching the siphon tube. Check that first. Then look for leaks. I have noticed that the tube connector on the top of the tip over valve is an odd size and will leak air (but not fuel) and break the vacuum.

Take your gas cap apart and make sure that the o-ring is good.
  9. Jim Lad

Jim Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tube is OK, but has a wire clip at the overflow valve. I may have a jubilee clip (screw clip) in my spares which would be better.Thanks for the thoughts, all helps.

Have a quiet riding day tomorrow, getting a visa here during the day then riding down to Casablanca, not far. So have time to have a good look.
  10. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put some Vaseline or something around the nipple before putting the tube on. That should help with any potential air leak there.
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have written about this several times in old posts at least a couple of years ago.

Several things can cause problems with the aux tank. The tubing connections must be tight and free of crimps and pinches. Don't let the seat crimp the aux tubing. I also removed the tip-over valve guts that sometimes wanted to act up and create flow issues.

Sounds like you have covered all of that.

The biggest problem is what I do not think you have solved- the stock gas cap.

The stock cap is largely plastic and relies on O-rings to seal the lock cylinder. With normal use, these O-rings wear and allow air/gas leakage around the cylinder. There may also be some air leakage through the internal tumbler assembly of the lock cylinder. The main tank flange gasket on the stock cap also wears and can leak.

For a stock set-up, these leaks may never show up since a totally air-tight tank is not critical and the fuel level does not rise above the cap assembly.

For months, I fixed and re-fixed my stock cap. I tried various internal seals and never got 100 percent reliability of air-tightness.

The only real fix is to replace the stock cap. That is easier said than done. Touratech offered a very nice billet manual cap that was very expensive. Thankfully, I bit the bullet and bought one. Those caps have been discontinued by Touratech but, if you contact them, they may be able to obtain one for you. I'm sure they were produced by a small supplier.

I looked into fabricating my own cap at one time but abandoned the project in favor of the TT cap. You could still do that with a little experimentation. The bayonet mouth on the tank and the latching ears are a little unique, however. One option would be to remove the tank mouth fitting and improvise something that would accept a more readily available standard gas cap.

I talked with the master machinist The Scheff about this and he was going to look into making a cap for these models but I never heard any follow up. The fact that the X series was never produced in great numbers and was eventually discontinued curtails the aftermarket of offerings for it.

http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-Xchallenge-Xcountry:::1.html

12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I'm working with someone to produce a new (non lockable) fuelcap for the X range.
    I'm hoping to get some news this week or next.
  13. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim!

Another source for trouble is the fuel hose. Especially, when it gets hot. The modern type for high pressure FI systems, works better than the old motorcycle type for carbed vehicles. It's reletively simple and cheap to replace the hose, choosing the best routing away from heat-sources. I run a TT-tank via the vent-connections and experienced, that the long routing line needs the stiff hose and that the engine-heat should better be avoided.

Hi Ard!

One day we should meet, Gruß aus Wesel!

Andreas
  14. WHOISDIRK

WHOISDIRK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I've basically been using this thread as a build bible for my x-country but still have a few questions. I've gotten about 200 pages in but think it's safe to speak up rather than reading the remaining 400 or so.

Bar risers: I just ordered aftermarket handle bars and bar risers. Has anyone with the abs model done this? I've heard rumors that they won't fit but was wondering if there was a workaround or if anyone had more info.

Extra set of Wheels: Anyone have a set the can recommend or know of other bikes who's wheels will fit? I've looked online and it was looking like I'd be paying around 1800 for a set no matter where I went.

Rear luggage rack: Anyone find anything better than the touratech one (or cheaper)? I've seen a lot of amazing ones people have made themselves but not many I can buy.

Steering head bearings: I'm eventually going to replace these but know very little about them, any I should take over the bmw ones? I don't mind paying a little extra.

Steering dampener: Is this really needed? Will it be overkill? I usually only see them on race bikes but in hard offroad my wrists take a serious beating and I wondered if this would help. I assume it would be a but of a custom job and semi expensive but I'm open to ideas.

It's in pieces while I upgrade it right now but once the builds moved forward I'll post some pics of her.

Also it's a 2007 in case any of that matters for this discussion.

Thanks, any help you can give is much appreciated.
  15. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    You need G650X hubs. No other bikes use these hubs. Keep checking Ebay and the Fleamarket here on ADV for wheels. Put up a classified on the Fleamarket for WTB: XCountry wheels

There are a few out there, but TT is the only one who still may make some of the parts for the X bikes. The XChallenge rear rack will NOT fit an XCountry.

There is a non-BMW spreadsheet that tells you the bearings to get that are a lot less than BMW bearings. Same or better quality (most times, even the same bearings).

The only under-handlebar setup is from Emig Racing. Yes, it is expensive AND it incorporates a riser that is taller than your current bar risers. Whether or not you need it will probably depend on where and how you ride.

Use a search engine to find this stuff here on adv: site: advrider.com "insert search term here"
    focal likes this.
  16. Flachlandtiroler

Flachlandtiroler sincere amateur

Oddometer:
  17. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    No problems Andreas ! We'll ride out to your direction before the year is done. :D
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Head bearings same as on old bikes. SKF 320/28 (X or XQ etc) See post 8548 -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23864020&highlight=steering+bearings#post23864020

I posted a pictorial guide to steering head bearing replacement a while back. See post 8518 -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23811525&highlight=steering+bearings#post23811525

focal likes this.
  19. WHOISDIRK

WHOISDIRK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks tbarstow

I'll start looking for hubs now and hope for the best.

Good to know about the x-challenge rear rack, I was thinking of going that way.

I've got the parts spreadsheet bookmarked and will use it in the future.

And thanks for the search tip, seems like it will look better than the search thread functionality and will keep me from bugging people for information that's already been posted.

Thanks
  20. WHOISDIRK

WHOISDIRK Adventurer

Oddometer: