So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. WHOISDIRK

WHOISDIRK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm saure if it could be done everyone would have already done it but I still have to ask.

Has any one found a way to mount the 4.2 gallon tank that touratech is selling for the x-challenge? I know our frame is a little different but there has to be a way to hack this together and up range.

With the x-tank costing 500 euro or so and only giving 1.7 more gallons of capacity really makes me want to find a way to do this The idea of having my xcountry but with 6.6 gallons and a range of about 400 miles really sounds nice.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/VXqoCZ/09-049-0130-1.pdf

To be clear: I don't work for touratech and am not selling their product... I don't think it can even fit on our bikes.
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Can't see why you could not use the TT tank. You might need a Challenge seat and rear plastic but I think that's it. the frame (and most other parts) is the same on all X bikes.
  3. WHOISDIRK

WHOISDIRK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's time for me to start looking for a used challenge seat and saving for a tank. I'm just to afraid to overload the rear and snap the sub-frame since it's already carrying my camping gear. I want to keep the weight as far forward as I can.

I'll keep researching but thanks for the nudge in the right direction
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't mess your bike up with the TT tank!

You will never get 400+ miles from it. It requires a respring of your front end. It destroys the handling of your bike. I've been there and recovered on my XChallenge.

At most, you only need an extra gallon of gas in most places in the world.
  5. WHOISDIRK

WHOISDIRK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for linking to the thread. I'll look into this option and do some math on the local trails to see if 1 gal in enough to make the difference I need
  6. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I added a gallon to my bike and have yet to run out of fuel while out riding before finding a gas station. Even in Baja, Death Valley, and the Arizona Strip.

Plus, I always seemed to have about 4 gallons too much when in a technical riding section.
  7. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a ride. Thought I smelled oil a couple times coming to stops.

Left side of the motor/cylinder is covered in oil. :eek1 still has enough oil in the reservoir. The fabric looking hose that comes out of the oil tank looks pretty saturated, but it also looks like it may be leaking from around the valve cover, and also where the cylinder meets the bottom end. Or that is just where all the oil is collecting as it runs down.

Any ideas where to start poking around? What purpose does that fabric covered hose coming out of the oil tank serve?

:cry
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    That hose is the breather from the valve cover. The oil might be coming from that or from the cam chain tensioner. The "bolt" for that is hidden by the oil tank. It's on the back of the cilinder head on the left side of the bike. (24 mm if I remember correctly) Maybe it wasn't done up properly.
  10. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    suppose that there was to much oil in the tank, and it wanted to get out. where would it likely escape from?

when I had the bike inspected last year I had an oil change done. it was over filled and I drained some oil out 2 separate times. even though i did that it was still on the high end of the level.
  11. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't know where it would try to get out but you'd possible see some in the airbox.
    It happened on some Rotax engines that one of the oil pumps broke (that or the plastic gear that drives them) and you would find unusual oil levels but if the one broke that feeds the main circuit you would have no oil pressure. The other one just feeds the oiltank from the sump. That's difficult to trace as the dipstick sits in the tank.
    Start the bike, let the engine warm up, shut it off and leave it for a minute, then check the level in the tank holding the bike upright on level ground.
    If they gave it a service and not used the proper procedure there might be too much oil in there. (didn't empty the filter housing by not changing the filter or didn't empty the oil tank but still filled it with the required quantity of oil)
  12. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok so i checked the oil and it was high. which is really weird bc last season I drained out some oil 2 separate occasions to what I thought was acceptable.

just to clarify, the XXX on the stick is HIGH, and the line at the bottom of the X's is the max mark. correct? the owners manual is not very clear about it.

well this time I drained oil, what I though was a fair amount, and when I checked it again it looked as if I didnt drain any oil at all. So I drained more, and finally it appears that there is less oil, between the max and min.

Its almost as if the oil expanded so much when I was riding today that it reached the cap and started to blow out of that breather hose, which is strange bc I've ridden it hard off road in much higher temps and never had this happen.

What type of motor damage can happen from too high oil pressure? (not that i think anything was damage, just curious)
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Where did you drain the oil ? At the tank or at the sump ?
    Draining at the sump won't bring any immediate changes to the level unless you've run the engine for a minute or so.

It might be a good idea to change the oil yourself from now on and use the proper procedure.

Not sure what damage could be done with having too much oil in it.
    I don't think you can have too much oil pressure as the engine has a pressure release valve behind the filter.
  14. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i drained out of what i guess what you would call the tank, from the upper reservoir. I ran the motor till the fan turned on after each time i let some out yesterday.

i have changed the oil myself, i just had the dealership do it out of convenience bc it was there getting inspected. I'm surprised they didnt do it right, they are a very well known and respected BMW dealership, and i know that at least one of them has an x-challenge!
  15. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok leaking oil update-

so I had drained enough oil that it read between the lines. took it for a ride, 20 or 30 miles. got home, checked the oil again, reading high!!!! up at the top "X" on the dipstick!

since i cleaned off all the oil from the previous episode it seems like the oil is coming from the valve cover end of the breather hose that connects to the oil tank.

why would my oil level seem to keep creeping up????
  16. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    So I'm thinking about buying a 2009 X Country and seeing as this thread is over 600 pages long, I'm trying to find any issues I should be aware of? Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  17. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Great bike but has some wear items that come with the mileage.
    - Clutch cover with bearings at about 30 k miles / $ 400
    - Water pump seals around 40 k miles / $60

Wheel rims are kind of soft can get dents easy.

Front suspension needs upgrade.

At the beginning there where reports of surging , rough idle, stalling.
    Should be resolved by now.

Later engines ( 2009 ?, made in Lonquin?) had issues with the compression lever on the camshaft. ( Recall ?)

Rear brake disk only available as OEM BMW $$$

I find the bike easy to work on, lots of info over the years are available.

Great bike to farkle and customize, fun to ride too!!!

M
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The clutch cover and the water pump issues as well as the surging issues pertain to the earlier models and not the '09 Chinese engine -as far as I know.

BMW had one or two recall bulletins for the 09. They were minor. The bolt/bracket holding the front brakeline junction box on the ABS bikes was replaced and something else that I don't remember.

The decompression lever recall was the biggest thing I remember and it is not a catastrophic issue. You can read all about it in past postings.

The bike can stand several improvements depending on the purpose for which it will be used.

Mine is used for dual-sport riding and long-distance touring. I've tweaked the front forks and added a much stronger rear spring. Along with that is an auxiliary fuel tank to supplement the small 2.5 gallon stock tank. The stock seat is terrible and stock wind protection does not exist. Fixes for all this are out there and fill the many pages of this thread.
  19. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    I understand the 09 models are lower than the previous years, can they be raised higher easily?

Is it just the forks are higher in the triple clamps and the rear shock adjusted down to its lowest setting?
  20. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fork legs are actually different part numbers, 894MM vs 869MM, and the rear shock is slightly shorter.

However, if you modify the stock 09 forks and rear shock to give you the proper sag numbers, the bike sits pretty high. I am 6-2 and I cannot quite flatfoot mine (with a Corbin seat). I wouldn't want it higher for dual-sport use, frankly.