So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There it is, my new compadre!
    Loving every minute of it!
    The other night I was barely keeping myself from jumping on a bike at 2am.
    Kid in a candy store all over again :D

[​IMG]
  2. nophones

nophones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To the origins of this thread- here's mine mid-way the Angeles Crest run of S-turns. That's an old Marsee soft bag on the back // Have a matching tankbag as well. Got the pair on craigslist for a whopping $35 and they work great.

Attached Files:

3. nophones

nophones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't actually want to do a wheelie, but it seems like my bike has something going on where it would not be possible. I get great acceleration up to a certain point on the throttle, then it stops and if I yank it open, there's a kind of limiter on it where it would never produce the pop to make a wheelie.

I've changed out the sparks, upgraded the fuel filter (golan) and fuel pump, cleaned the injector, throttle body, etc. etc. Coils are good, sparks are good -- am I losing compression somewhere? Or is there some safety feature on the bike where you can't just accidentally pull the throttle from nothing to full too fast? Confused!
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are two throttle cable positions, check your REPROM disc.

You may have a slipping clutch as well.
  5. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Does it start and run alright ? Could sucking in some air between the throttle body and the head ? Maybe lubricate the "piston" on the idle valve with some teflon oil ? Does it seal right after refitting after you cleaned it ?

I had a flat spot experimenting with the filter cover. I returned to the standard set up with just taking off 2-3" of the cover where the outside inlet is.

Got a picture if you need it.

Cheers, Ard
  6. nophones

nophones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. After a couple months of rehab, yeah, it runs dead reliable now. Just this funny business around acceleration. It does kind of sound like it is sucking air, but the seal seems good. I'll double check. Ill look into all these other ideas, too.

In terms of a slipping clutch, would it make sense that it would only show under heavy torque? Is there any way to simply tighten it up?
  7. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The only way is either a new clutch and/or stronger springs in case of a slipping clutch. You could possibly tighten it up in some way but this could lead to binding in the springs so it might not come completely free.

Mate of mine said that when you run mineral oil and then change to synthetic the abrasive stuff on the clutch tends to harden which might lead to slipping. I've had that happen on my old 650. I changed to synthetic on this one and changed the plates at the same time.

Cheers, Ard
  8. nophones

nophones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ay.. Well if your friend is wise as to the chemistry, I'm hosed. I switched the bike to Rotella T6 which was all around positive in my other bike, also started once I introduced some Techron a while back. I'll do the other hacks and hopefully will not be faced with clutch work too soon.
  9. motoFuzi

motoFuzi n00b

Oddometer:
    any one here looking for the 09 lower shock and willing to trade an 07 or 08 shock? just got the bike and loooving it!
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never heard of that.

If the oil is JASO rated, it should be okay for wet clutches.

I used mineral oil in mine at first and then switched to synthetic oil and had no problems.

I currently use Mobil-1 4T synthetic motorcycle oil.

11. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    What have you done to your poor exhaust...

Bob
  12. nophones

nophones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hehe, well, you should have seen the other guy :)
  13. Jim Lad

Jim Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A pretty good accessory on the back of the campervan!

Attached Files:

14. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    Our '08 and '09 X-Country's loaded for a trip (about mid-way)

[​IMG]

Just a tad dirty from the trail.
  15. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    Bikes were a bit dirty in the previous photo. Here is Susie getting some of the mud off the fun way:
    [​IMG]

Way better than a pressure washer in the driveway
  16. The Spanish Biker

The Spanish Biker The Essential Companion to Biking in Spain

Oddometer:
    Mornin' all,

Well, the first time I've ever won a prize in 57.6 years and it's . . . a 20% discount voucher from my Friendly Neighbourhood BMW dealer.

The voucher is for labour only, naturally, and I normally go to Andorra and don't pay 21% IVA tax, so it's much of a muchness in some ways - it's actually easier to get to andorra!

Apart from that though FN Dealer is a better mechanic/workshop and a top bloke - so I'll be going for my next full BMW service.

But, while I'm there, is there any labour intensive, special BMW, job that I should think about having done at the same time?

My bike has about 55,000 kms (34K miles to save y'all the trouble). The clutch works but I don't like it, the throttle stick at some high revs after I stretched it with handlebar risers and the gearbox is a but 'lumpy'.

I've though about having them make up a longer throttle cable, re-route the clutch cable and change the fork oil. I've also read here about the wonky clutch cover (it's a '07 model), but has anyone got more suggestions?

Regs

Simon
  17. aprilian

aprilian Can I change this?

Oddometer:
    rebuilding forks? it takes special tools to take them apart and clean everything.
  18. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Have the clutch cover looked at or I could possibly bring you an updated one in September. (one that's rebuilt with a bush in it like mine has. I'd have to see if I've got a spare laying about to have it fixed though)
    Re-routing the accelerator and clutch cables is simple and I can describe that with pictures if you want.

Are you having the valves looked at ? That's pretty labour intensive.

Ta matey, Ard

Come to think of it, The Challenge throttle cable is 4 cm longer. Clutch is the same but you can fit one from a Husqvarna TR 650 which is about 10 cm longer than the Beemer one.

Re-routing the clutch will make it lighter and puts less stress on the cable.
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    My wifey on her XCo

[​IMG]

Dusty around here at the moment.

[​IMG]
  20. mortimer

mortimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an X-Challenge air shock for sale if you want a larger rear suspension, PM me if interested.