So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Got the airshock as well and although it has its shortcomings I think it's better than the standard one. + it's progressive :clap

It's not a patch on a proper fully adjustable one though.
  2. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need new bars.

The xCountry survived a couple of days of hard former dakar piste relatively unscathed, then the wind blew it over and bent the bars.

Looking for something with similar dimensions to the OEM ones, but of course stronger.

Too bad I recently got rid of a set of pro taper carmichael bars.
  3. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    Check out the Magura X-Line bars, not the cheapest option out there, but sturdy as hell.

The EX model should be fairly close to the stock G650X bars, if I am not mistaken.

When I first bought the bike it came with the EX bars, I only switched to the CPX because I wanted to fit larger-than-normal grips and stuff and therefor needed more usable "grip space" on my handlebars.

The EX bars had taken a lot of abuse when I switched to the CPX, yet they were still (almost) straight.
    I already had one hard drop with the CPX bars, too, they took it like a champ, still perfectly straight.
  4. The Spanish Biker

The Spanish Biker The Essential Companion to Biking in Spain

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea. The forks have taken a battering 90% of the bike's miles have been on very poor surfaced roads, usually laden with camping clobber. I'm a slowcoach on trails but it's done a lot of trail miles too.

It'll be a good idea to get a set of gaiters fitted too -amy recommendations?

Thanks for the offer Ard of the clutch cover, Yes! - too good to miss methinks. I assume it's quite an easy job to change it - I may get the local mechanic to do it - €30 per hour instead of BMW rates!

Likewise I'll source these cables. In fact I want to revise the whole front end with a fairing, new handlebars, etc. but that will have to wait for funds and I only have three months to take the prize . . .

Thanks guys n gals.

Regs

Simon
  5. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I'll have a gander in the garage to see where it is and have it fixed by the bloke who did ours Simon. I'll let you know about it.

If your forks are done, refitting them only do up the bottom clamp bolts with 10Nm. That way it will be less sticky and harsh on the shorter bumps. Just a drop of loctite on the bolts. The upper clamp bolts can be done up proper.
  6. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two up with luggage away on tour.

What would be choice for a hassle free shock?

An x Challenge air shock or a Wilbers shock (if they can still be had)
  7. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just realize the airshock exhibits some strange behavior. It really unloads under heavy braking. In addition, when you take your butt off the seat, the seat will rise up quite a bit. This can be a pain if the seat height is already an issue. Another downside is that if the air bladder fails, you aren't riding anywhere.

Certainly not a bad option for the price (I had sold mine for $100). But I consider my low end Hyperpro a huge improvement.
  8. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an Xcountry I bought with Hyperpro rear shock (with remote adjust for preload, compression and damping). I think the previous owner had about 10,000 miles on this and I have about 3,000. It is working very well and I think it is a good product. The remote adjust make it very easy to cope with changes in weight like a pillion and terrain.
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    As far as I know you can still buy new Wilbers shocks.

Any shock is better than the standard one with the standard spring. The best cheap option is to have a new spring on the standard shock, the worst cheap option is the airshock.
    The airshock's pro is that you can regulate the pressure to make it stiffer or softer but the damping still leaves a lot to be desired.
    Contact Hyperpro and tell them what you want, including min./max. weights and your preferred riding and they'll sort you out a spring which you can have fitted locally.
    I was told there the shock in itself isn't that bad.

Cheers, Ard
  10. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah that might be a solution.

I new spring doesn't sound like it will break the bank like a full on Hyper pro shock with preload adjustment would.

Guess I should get in touch with Bas.
  11. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ard, mail coming your way :)

Simon
  12. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Just note that the handlebar clamps and bolt are essentially rubber mounted and may rotate on impact. You can just wrestle them back to normal position without loosening the hard to get to bolts. I thought I bent a bolt once but it was fine....

So make sure the bars are actually bent and it's not that the bar clamps pivoted. Just a thought.
  13. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    That happened to me too - but while I was wondering what to do I had an 'off' on the other side and it sorted itself out.

But I had to wait five weeks while I was in a wheelchair t find this out . . .

Regs

Simon
  14. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I considered this at the time, but the bars are definitely bent. Still in Spain, awaiting the ferry from Bilbao so will have a better look once I'm home.

The rubber does sod all good at reducing vibrations. My bars vibrate like crazy. More than the Dakar did.
  15. nophones

nophones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a previous thumper I applied sorbothane sheeting in a bunch of key locations where the motor vibes were transferred to the seat and bars. In the US you can get many bushings thicknesses etc. The stuff works really well, you just can't compress it too much or it falls apart.
  16. Jim Lad

Jim Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Simon, I don't think this is near you, am close to the Atlantic coast.

Attached Files:

17. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now it either fell off or someone stole it, but my BMW plug cap is missing. :(
  18. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    Nope, I'm much further east in Catalonia. Are you riding along?

Meanwhile, I'm off on a pukka rally over the weekend and when I delivered my bike to the mechanic for new brakes it wouldn't start - fuel shortage by the look of it.

The only 'new' thing is that I'd put on a longer hose from the X-tank to the breather - I hadn't filled up since disconnecting it for the bike's technical check last week. But when I removed I just got a chug or two and then nothing. Maybe wet plugs after that.

I' heading back there now to collect it and hopefully it'll start from cold and then be OK.

Meanwhile, any ideas?
  19. nophones

nophones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update /Ongoing sleuthing: Thanks for the suggestions about slipping clutch etc. Since it is clear the bike is also not wheelie material even in neutral, I think that eliminates the clutch. I checked the rubber underneath the throttle body and tightened the clamp and for the life of me can't tell where extra air is coming under high throttle. Then I was wondering if instead it is my injector not keeping up - I cleaned out the injector using the syringe method and it seems to flow evenly and freely. No gas leaks etc. Is there anywhere else I should be looking at here as a possible way air is coming into the system where it shouldn't (head cover gasket?) Has anyone had this problem of kind of losing pull over about half throttle with a kind of sucking sound in parallel?
  20. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:

I did have what sounds to be a very similar problem recently,
    turned out that I just needed to give the fuel filter a good cleaning.

You did say so switched to a Golan, did you actually remove the stock filter (which ist part of the fuel pump assembly on the G650X bikes) or did you just put the Golan in a second filter?