So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    I remember doing some research into HIDs before I fitted mine. Some people had no issues, some did. There didn't seem to be any reasoning behind it, different years of production, with and without ABS. I reckon that's your problem. You know, a BMW mechanic should be able to check from the diagnostic port to see if the bike has recorded an issue.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it may have some security screws on holding it to the frame. Then you need to take the housing apart. That requires pressing in on 3 little tabs at the same time.
  3. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure this "reset" procedure has ever been documented or verified as true.

4. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Well I've done it and it does have an effect, even if all it does is make the dash flash on and off.

Come to think if it, when you disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the dash flashes on and off. It's the same thing with the throttle trick and maybe the same thing happening on CMs bike. It does sound like the bike is resetting or restarting.
  5. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    I have a potential problem with the engine. Many hours of googling have failed to help. Briefly, when I lent it to my friend the bike came back with many interesting and horrific personal problems. Most have now been resolved. I've been fiddling with the engine, now I'm no expert but I can't seem to find anything actually wrong. The problem is that there's a vent tube fitted on the right side of the upper cylinder, coming out of the generator area. Many times it's blocked and then spat out oil but by the time it was back, oil was pouring out, so badly that he fixed a bottle to catch the oil.
    You can see that here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas? Thanks.
  6. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That loose hose is the crankcase breather hose. It comes from the crankcase and attaches to the airbox on top of the motor. There's an attachment nipple on the bottom of the plastic airbox and the hose attaches with a hose clamp. Vapor from the crankcase blows up the hose and through a foam oil collector filter in the airbox. When the engine is stopped or low revving, oil residue can drain back through the hose to the crankcase.

If you are getting too much crankcase blow-out, you may have worn piston rings or other issues.

Part #9-

[​IMG]

Note that part #6 is the oil drain hose on the left side of the airbox. It has a plug in the end that hangs below the airbox and is used for draining excess accumulated oil from the airbox.

7. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have the Counter Balance Seal failure, as documented here:

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/CounterBalanceSealFailureFAQ.htm
  8. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. The inside of the airbox is clean and dry, no sign of any oil in it. This isn't what I'd expect after reading the f650.faq.
  9. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Is the airbox clean because the crankcase breather goes directly into the catch bottle instead of the airbox?

10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Yes. :rofl
  11. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Could it be over filled with oil. ...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  12. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Ok, I think I see the problem. The whole time I had this bike the hose was down the side, it's never gone to the airbox. It's never been long enough to go anywhere near the airbox. Maybe our bikes are different, mine is a UK model, no weird carbon filter setup.

It's been doing it a while, not a lot but as it got really dirty it got worse. I certainly didn't overfill it but that might be part of the problem since my mate is a cock and probably did.
  13. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    It looks in your first picture like it's going up and over first. I don't think you should be getting that much oil leaking into the overflow from going up and over - some folks put filters on the ends of theirs and had them in roughly similar positions and were fine.

Also, I hope he bought you a lot of beer in exchange for letting him borrow your bike.
  14. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    If there's oil coming out the vent hose it could be that seal as described previously or one of the oil pumps has given up. It'll be the one that pumps the oil from the engine back up to the oil tank.
    Either way, It seems like a good idea to crack open that engine.
  15. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice. I've done a lot of reading and have a good idea what's going on now. This is a major hassle since I'm living in Cambodia where they have only one post office for the entire country and they're not very reliable. This could mean the end of my XC.
  16. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

You may not have as big a problem as you fear. Put a new hose on the crankcase connector and run it up to the airbox like it should be.

The reason your airbox is clean is that the breather hose was detached from it.

Somebody probably thought they were disconnecting some harmful pollution plumbing when they disconnected that hose and ran it to the ground. Just like on many bikes, the uphill climb of the vent hose and the collector filter in the airbox allows the oil and vapor a safe place to go until it can drain back down into the crankcase.

The carbon filter you mentioned has nothing to do with any of this. It is a catch canister to collect fumes from the gas tank instead of letting them vent directly to the atmosphere.

17. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Well, for reasons that make sense to me, I'm going to completely ignore the problem and carry on regardless. I have a mechanic friend in town, while a fellow Adventure biker, he's a car mechanic so things like counter-balance shafts are as alien to him as a change of underwear. Still, we have ruled out the piston rings as being the issue and we don't seem to be able to find any signs of the bike ever running low on oil. The camshafts are like new, there's barely any soot in the can, let alone oil and the plugs are exactly the colour they should be.
    If it turns out to be the counter-balance seal then there's nothing much I can do about it where I am. In fact, whatever it is, there's not much I can do about it. I do have a contact who can get me pretty much anything but the bike will have to be taken to him running for him to see for himself. There's a good chance it was over-filled, the guy I lent it to was... well, not the sharpest when it comes to maintenance. On one occasion I warned him that the canvas inside his tyre was on the outside and the rubber was a distant memory. I also pointed out his chain was literally dragging on the floor. His solution was to grin at me and say, let's ride faster. When I asked him what preparation he'd done to his KTM (I know, KTM!!!) to get it ready for a long trip he showed me the LED replacement bulb he'd bought on Ebay for $3. I suspect, fairly strongly that it was not filled to an optimum level. The logic, therefore is that for the cost of a few hours of my time, there's no reason not to put it back together with new hoses properly connected and hope the problem wasn't as big as I feared. If it was, I'll get a quote on repairs and that will decide if she has a future or a funeral.
    Many thanks for all the feedback.
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't let fools ride your bike.
  19. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Are you at least changing the oil too so that you know it has the correct amount in it before you start out?
  20. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    The entire bike is stripped, the engine and frame are in separate rooms so when it goes back together it will definitely have the correct amount of oil in it.

Leafman - Lesson learned.