So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try using a small Torx driver to remove the stripped bolts. You may have to use a hammer to tap the driver in.

If that does not work, go to the local Autozone and pick up a cheap set of left twist drill bits. Remember to reverse your drill, use these to back the stripped button heads out. Replace with normal socket head screws that use a 4mm.
  2. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    If the torx doesn't work, I've had success with penetrating oil and then a couple hours later, a vice grip.
  3. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's the normal stuff. Torx failed. I don't have a drill, a vice grip isn't going to work the head is near enough flat so nothing to grip onto.

Unless I can get the swingarm out with one of the 3mm screws still in I'm going to have to wait a few weeks until I get the shock back. Remount everything, then take it to have the screw removed, then remove everything again so I can take the swingarm out.

Why BMW is using 3 tiny 3mm screws to protect the swingarm bolt I don't know.
  4. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    You can't file two edges flat a little to get something to grab onto? Let's see some pictures! :)
  5. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stolen from Dutchgit's swingarm guide:

[​IMG]
  6. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    What about a tap and a hammer? Do you have penetrating oil too? That stuff is like magic.
  7. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Will give it another try tomorrow. TBH I mostly came here to moan. It soothes the soul ;)
  8. motorrat

motorrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @c-m , Just tap/hammer a slightly bigger Torx head in!
    If that doesn`t work just drill the head of, just take a drill the same diameter as the thread, and gently let it chew away, The big bolt doesn`t need to be rotatd to get out, just insert a n M8 rod into the hex(deeper down is the M8 thread, and slde hammer it out,

just red that all the advices already have been given!
    Then buy a drill!, cordless is fine.
  9. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Good idea, then you can use a vice grip on what's left! Except he doesn't have a drill. :(

Amen. I also find whining, whingeing, complaining, grumbling, bemoaning grousing, kvetching and bellyaching to be pretty helpful as well.
  10. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Well okay, I didn't write that as intended. I could be firmer with the rubber hose replaced by a braided one.
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Lol, that's my latexed hand.

If you don't have a drill then you probably don't have a Dremel tool either so this suggestion may be useless as well.

Use a cutting wheel with a Dremel tool to cut a single horizontal slot in the head of the bolt and then use a flat screwdriver in that slot to back the screw out.

You really don't have a huge problem here until you break the damn screw off down in it threads! lol

Soak it with penetrating oil before doing anything.
  12. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have thought about the dremel route. I have one :) I am waiting to buy a 18v drill, my old 14v one died.

I did try bashing a torx head in there. It went in nice and tight, and roudned the head further. Will give the dremel a try once I find my cutting discs.
  13. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Take your time and be careful. Go easy. You don't want the Dremel wheel to walk off the screw head and blemish the flange.

14. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Did you use penetrating oil too? Seriously makes a huge difference.
  15. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah hopefully he didn't go in dry.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  16. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    There's probably Loctite on them little Torx bolts. Warm up the frame to make it let go.
  17. Mucci

Mucci Builder

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I've got a friend with a G650X Country who's looking to have some work done. I've got a couple questions:

1 - Are the wheels interchangeable with any other models?
    Front - 20mm axle
    Rear - 20mm axle

2 - How wide of a tire will the forks and swingarm accept if we were to lace up new rims? (I don't have the bike in-shop to take dimensions)

Thanks for any help! - Dave
  18. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    I believe the X-moto wheels will fit since the forks appear to be the same. They're the same wheels as the Aprilia Pegaso 660 in cast alloy. I'm presuming you're wanting a supermoto since I don't see any other point in messing with the wheel/tyre combo.
  19. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    XChallenge wheels are a straight swap. Xmoto wheels have different brake rotors I believe.
  20. Mucci

Mucci Builder

Oddometer:
    Are the mounting points on the forks different or is it simply a different caliper bracket?