So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:

I got a DDM HID kit, they are fairly reputable & I did pay roughly $80.00 for the light....BUT, I'm still experiencing the system, so maybe they aren't that good.

Anyway to fix this problem, other than dropping the HID?
  2. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I just got a response from Peter Hanna at touratech head office that this part is NOT available anymore...

Bob

Sent from my mobile
  3. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does one light cause it more than the other?

I swapped out HID bulbs and it helped.
  4. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Darn, I was afraid of that. You may have better luck emailing touratech in Germany. Touratech.de

Once you install a thicker rubber gasket, they work fine. High quality, all metal piece.
  5. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report and I bet if was a great ride.
    How did you feel on the ride? Were there any scatchy parts?

Btw, risking being captain obvious here but when your fuel light comes up there's another info screen on the dash that comes up that shows how many kms you rode with the fuel light on.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Great report and I bet if was a great ride.
    How did you feel on the ride? Were there any scatchy parts?

Btw, risking being captain obvious here but when your fuel light comes up there's another info screen on the dash that comes up that shows how many kms you rode with the fuel light on.

Hey there,
    Ride felt great, I'm still getting used to the off-road feel of things. I had a couple of calls going up hills with my momentum was slowing but my tire speed was constant or increasing. Nothing feathering the clutch didn't solve.

Unfortunately, the fuel mile count was resetting itself as well. So I had no idea how many miles I had left. I thought I'd have atlas 7 miles when I was only 1 away from the destination.
    Zeus99 likes this.
  7. Viv

Viv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops - sorry. TBH it is not the biggest job ever. I think the hardest parts were removing the camchain tensioner bolt and the loosening the oil tank. I couldn't remove the exhaust header (rusty nuts) and I think that limited what I could access. I seem to recall that the frame gets in the way of some of the bolts on the head too.

I did remove the camshafts and that was fairly straight-forward. The TDC crank lock bolt didn't seem to work for me so I just didn't rotate the crank once I had it at TDC - then I removed the tensioner bolt and the cams. I think it was easy to check that the engine was still at TDC afterwards (piston at the top of the cylinder is a good clue - and either a dial gauge or a pointer down the plug hole could be used to ensure it is at the top). It was not possible to have the marks on the cams line up exactly when putting it back together but it was a close as I could get it. Best to turn it by hand somehow when it is back together. There is an access cover (hex headed, item 4 on the fiche ENGINE HOUSING COVER, RIGHT) on the right of the engine that allows a socket to be used on the end of the crank to rotate it (without the plugs in my case).

I backed off all the head bolts about an 1/8th of a turn and then re-torqued them. All the ones I could access that is - which was enough in my case. I reused all the gaskets.

Water was coming out in drips from most places it could so yes it was pushing out of the reservoir (expansion/header tank).

Someone else will know for sure but you may need to remove the engine to get to the base gasket.

Viv
    Bli55 likes this.
  8. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Just a note that was Touratech Germany. Item is not listed on any of Touratechs websites.

Bob

Sent from my mobile
  9. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone plan to reverse engineer the TT cap?

if somebody can put together some blueprints I could manufacture it.
  10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested if you do.

Unrelated, anyone put in a series RR like the shindegen SH775?
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Way back, before I found the TT cap, I looked into making one. I also contacted Stefan Scheffelmeier in Germany and discussed him making one. He is talented and can do it. We even talked about an adapter piece that would attach to the stock tank opening and then take a standard bayonet style gas cap.

If several of you get together and contact him, he may produce a few for you.

http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-Xchallenge-Xcountry:::1.html
  12. tbarstow

Oddometer:
  13. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Tried to quote this earlier, but the system was having problems! It only came with one light. I'll recheck all connections and see if that has any impact. Also my batter has those 90* brackets that connects the the terminals. I wonder if I move the HID to it's own "plug" if it'll stop the voltage surge from going to the bike computer. I'll experiment this weekend!
  14. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Lollipop question:
    Hey team, I've been looking on here and I've found some good information about heightening my bike. I'm getting ready to do the lollipop operation this weekend. The only thing I didn't find was the length I can actually screw out the heim joint? I want to make sure I don't get myself in a world of trouble as I screw out that piece. Thanks, friends.

cFogs out

BT
    NNNN
  15. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there anyway way manually force the preload on the oem shock?

My preload has now given up. Made the washboard piste to Uyuni interesting with only 2" of travel.
  16. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello man, I wonder if you could show us some pictures of your fender mods. I'm interrested too.
    Thanks
  17. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    double down on that!
  18. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, double up! :lol2
    cgguy09 likes this.
  19. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Sounds like something else is broken if you only have 2 inches of travel. What does the spring look like?
  20. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the preload. Once I got the mechanism attached in the right place by KTM in Salta, the bike was fine.

Something happened to the preload during some bad washboard dirt road.

With no preload at all even the heavier spring I have can't do much with 30-40kg of luggage and a pillion.

Fast forward a few days and this happened.

[​IMG]

The silver collar must have worked its way loose, which could be why the preload was missing and turning the knob didn't do anything.

That piece fell out on the Salar, must of got burned on the exhaust for a while before arriving at its final resting place wedged between the swingarm and the engine, which is where I fount it this morning.