So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. ADVEarth

ADVEarth Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi!
    Today I played with the lollipop!
    (That doesn't sounds good right? Ja ja ja ja )
    Anyway.... I was also concern about how much can I unscrew the lollipop.
    I took off the XCountry rear tire and dissasemble the nut and bolt of the rear shock at the swingarm.

Then I loose the 2 nuts of the lollipop and began to unscrew it. At some point It got very hard to turn it!!
    So for me that was the maximun point. I just return it one turn (just to be safe) and reassemble everyting.

The bike feels more taller. Better to my opinion. I wonder why I didn't do this when I got the bike....

Now I planning to change the original spring of the shock to a 15 Kg spring. My friend Leafman60 recomended this upgrade!

Let me know how do you feel the bike with the screw out lollipop..

All the best!

cgguy09 likes this.
  2. ADVEarth

ADVEarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

I'm planning to change the original Metzeler Tourance for the Heidenau K60 tires. I have tried the Heidenau K60 (2 pairs) on my 1200GSA and they are very good, secure and long lasting tires.

I don't like the look of the XCountry with the original 130-80-17! I also will like to install a 140-80-17, but I'm not sure this tire will fit. And there is not a Heidenu 140-70-17.

Has anyone tried a 140-80-17 rear tire on the XCountry?

Thank's!!
  3. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    As you can see by the pic,I decided to just forgot tires. I'm using some technology I borrowed from Back To The Future 2. I'm hovering from this point forward!!!!!!

Just kidding! Just got my Hyper pro kit. Just like ADVearth, I'm keeping the stock shock and throwing on a new spring. I went with the progressive spring from Hypoerpro. I'll give a ride report after this weekend! Wish me luck!

Attached Files:

4. Viv

Viv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From memory if you want to remove the lower joint, you need to remove the rubber grip on the damping adjuster. That should allow two holes to be visible. By poking a pointer down the holes you should be able to push the spring loaded pins in. There are 2 spring-loaded pins that poke into the body of the lower shock prevent the joint from coming unscrewed.

Viv
    cgguy09 likes this.
  5. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Yep, It is a Viv says. I measured the joint as I have one laying about and the thread is 36 mm long, I think you can screw it out untill it's out by 18mm of thread from the joint to the second nut (so the locking nut is on that 18 mm of thread)
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Hey Team, I screwed out my Heim Joint (sounds dirty doesn't it) about 3/8 or about 10 mm. Any more and the bike felt like it was "leaning forward." my triple tree is at the very top of the forks. I really wish the x-forks would have been made taller.

So I have my Hyper pro installed and I can already tell a difference. There brake dive is less present, it would definitely be gone if it weren't for the progressive springs. I'm willing to bet that's why I still feel it a bit. That being said, it's still a significant improvement.

The Rear shock is great, for the FIRST TIME I have the preload screwed all the way. For kicks, I went over real big speed bumps in Unincorporated St. Louis County (where they just lay down asphalt and don't even it out) and it handled great. Even with the preload at full, I think the OEM spring would have had more compression than I did on the hyper pro. Don't misunderstand me, the spring compressed, but the progressive spring made it more comfortable and remained stiff after the initial compression.

I'm going an offload trip this weekend. I'll let you how she does on real off-road stuff.

Oh yea, I went with the Purple...I didn't want to, but it was cheaper. Actually, now that she's wearing it, it looks quite good with the yellow.

cFogs out

BT
    NNNN

IMG_4478.jpg IMG_4484.JPG
  7. ADVEarth

ADVEarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Viv!
    Thank you for that info!
    I'm going to recheck the adjust with your advise.
    All the best
  8. Viv

Viv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for confirming my memory! Do you know where to get replacement joints from ? It is alloy with a 12mm fine thread if I recall.

I've made an adapter for a non-standard steel joint, but that joint is now worn as well.

Viv
  9. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Be careful with the Heidenau tires on pavement, especially wet/damp pavement. Been there, done that.

The Heidenau aggressive tread (great off-road) is known for very high mileage. That simply means a hard rubber compound that means less traction on the street. Physics.

If you ride carefully on curves, you should be okay but I do not like those tires for true dual sport riding. I've had them step out on me and I've had friends drop bikes because of them.

My preferred dual-sport tire is currently the TKC70 or the (best buy) Shinko 705.

Another effect of the knobbier tires is running noise and slower speeds/acceleration due to roll resistance.

If I had to have a big knobbie, I think I'd go with a TKC80. At least the rubber is soft enough to provide tarmac traction.

Just my humble opinion.
  10. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I think I measured 18 mm diameter on it. If I remember I'll measure it again.
    A different shock is the way forward.
    The joint I have has a partially stripped thread.

Om the Heidenau tires: I usually run them on my road wheels and they're the best I ever used as a true Dual Sport tire. The thing is: We run ours at under reccomended pressures. About 1.5 Bar front and about 1.8 Bar rear. That way you won't notice any "tramlining" on lines/grooves in the direction of travel. Try it, it's a big difference !
    I found them a lot better in rain (with those pressures) as the TKC which gives me wheelspin leaving the lights up to 3rd gear...
  11. Viv

Viv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, 12mm was the diameter of the replacement I used with an adapter. 18mm for the OEM sounds more like it. I'd be happy just to fix the joint for the time being if there are replacements from some other source.

Viv
  12. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Another option that nobody is talking about is to avoid the necessity for air tightness by rigging an aux tank and adding a small transfer pump that could be switched on when the low light come on.

13. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I just emailed Touratech USA about the gas cap and got a slightly different response, for what it's worth:

"We had too many reports for the cap leaking and some fit issues over the years so we do not sell it."

I like the Mefo Explorers and run them for my everyday tire, getting about 7000 miles or more on the rear and they do well off and on road in general. Does anyone know how the rubber compounds and wet/dry performance compare to their "practically identical tires" by Heidenau?
  14. jeffrho

jeffrho sock guy

Oddometer:
    hey don't talk about my wonderful road in my subdivision, thats my suspension testing zone. I'm next to Shockzone!!!!
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. Craig Cutright

Craig Cutright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who did you buy your kit from? I think I might take care of mine now while everything is still available.
  16. zolatustra

zolatustra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I might bang already open doors, and the topic has been discussed, but I would like to ask the common wisdom on heated grips for the XCo. I bough my bike used, and the previous owner installed an Oxford heated grips (the bike is from 2008, so I think the grip is as old…).
    Now, apart from not working, it is very bulky. I am quite short of having E.T. fingers, but this can't be right. It is fairly ok on the highway, but I want to use it off road and on adventures… I can hardly reach the levers.
    So here are my questions for your kind considerations:
    1. If the topic has been discussed, would you mind pointing me to it?
    2. Do you find your heated grips bulky as well, is this something usual? If not, what make are you recommending to use?
    3. Have you ever tried to use/instal OEM heated grips from an other Beemer, like f650/700/800, etc.?

Thank you,
    Zoltan

Ps. I will be soon building my XCo for a Magadan trip, so I might share the progress here. And in the meantime, might also reach out for help and advice as well. My problem is that I am working as an expat and thus I am away from the bike and from the mechanic who helps me do this, and this is the first time they prepare a bike for such a trip. So let's see how that turns out. Thanks again.
  17. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I'd opt for heated gloves. Way better and stick 'em in your bags when you don't need them.
  18. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed these: http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Grip-Heaters

The normal grips go right over them. On the throttle side, you will need to remove the bumps from the throttle tube.
    zolatustra likes this.
  19. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 and Zeus99 like this.
  20. Flachlandtiroler

Flachlandtiroler sincere amateur

Oddometer:
    Nice RR c-m,, looks like a great trip! I hope the shock will hold up.
    You wrote that you mounted the ADVmonster headlight. How do you like it so far? He offers 3 different headlights, which one did you fit?
    Any modifications necessary?

Have a safe journey!