So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a spoke missing on my rear wheel so I plan to put in a new one because I'll be changing the rear tire in the next couple of days.
    I guess I'll be needing a spoke, a nipple and probably a rim tape.
    I was wondering does anybody know a web shop in Europe I can order it from?
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    keepshoveling and Zeus99 like this.
  3. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dutchgit and leafman60!
    Dutchgit likes this.
  5. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm searching the RepRom disk, fiche and google but can't seem to find what is the thickness of rear wheel spokes?
  6. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally got a chance to break in the new Distanzias........What a great motorcycle.
  7. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Hi Leafy,

Except for one thing you might have forgotten.... those new guys are rocking black tanks so must be '07 models, which have a much thicker more comfy seat than your '09, or so I'm told. I'm still riding my original '07 seat, I want a new one but I just stand up for a minute and I'm cured again, so I never bothered. I've never tried the '09 but I think I'd agree with you on that one!

I've been offline from ADV for a few months, good to be back and see you all are still around! Love my XCountry still! :feelgood
    Zeus99 likes this.
  8. snooker

Oddometer:
    By Mosko saddle bags if you mean the Mosko Moto pannier bags I've looked at them but now I'm pretty much leaning towards the non-saddle throw over bags from Mosko Moto, the Reckless 80 bag ...

I do have plans for longer trips and plan on buying the XTank and the MM R80 bags this summer or fall, and making my own simple very minimal tubing to mount from my little BMW tail rack to the passenger footpeg mount area (on the 07) to keep the MM bags out and away from the the XTank and exhaust. Lets call them bag guards instead of a rack. Unlike the saddle bags, the Reckless will support all the weight on the pillion spot on seat, so the side bag guards don't need to support all the bag weight and so does not really need to be a rack that wraps around the back.

Something similar to my idea of a custom tubing is the very simple rack from DirtBagz at http://dbzproducts.com/fs/dirtbagz.htm but my idea simply shapes the tubing to a more custom fit.

I tried the V1 generation of this R80 bag on my XCo when Dusty from MM stopped by to let me throw them over. The V2.0 is not available for another month (June) and may fit a little differently just because of the 3 piece design, I expect the joint between the sides and tail area to be a bit stiffer and may be a concern where it has to bend or fold over the abrupt edge of a tail rack.

If anybody has any working pics on an X bike I'd love to see them and how the fit on the rack.
  9. snooker

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for an XTank if anybody is selling one off. Not in a hurry but if anybody sees one please PM me. Thanks.
  10. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:

Alaska Leather Sheepskin for the seat does the trick nicely. I have a 07 seat which I find very comfortable. With the skin....Magic Carpet Ride.
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

My Corbin is working fine.
  12. Craig Cutright

Craig Cutright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about playing around with one of these tanks on my 09 Xco:

http://www.flambeaufluids.com/carb_compliant/2_gallon_matrix.html

If I ever get around to it I will post up picks. Until then its Rotopax on the back rack.
  13. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the dirt bagz rack on my Xco awhile before I bought the Xtank and got along with it but now I might consider to put something more protective for this Xtank because you always keep it on the bike. It's not a plug and play device and when there is no luggage over it, it is pretty vulnerable with this simple dirt bagz protection bar. Hopefully I never crash to confirm but something more like a H&B would be better. Just a guess...

[​IMG]
    Zeus99 likes this.
  14. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nailed it!

uploadfromtaptalk1462868429341.jpeg
  15. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beware foam air filters!

I had a high-flow foam filter in my airbox. I had recently cleaned and re-oiled it. It was 2-3 years old and apparently deteriorated enough to fall apart soon thereafter.

The throttle began sticking on me and, when I investigated, I found half the filter had broken apart and was long gone! Down the TBody.

The motor runs fine. I hope it was sucked in and then blown out with the exhaust gases and not melted onto any of the valve faces or piston rings.

16. DESERT SCORPION

DESERT SCORPION SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer:
    So much for the Unifilters! This is what mine looked like when I dug into the bike for a valve clearance check. I'll just stick with the OEM paper filter from now on.
    UNIFILTER.jpg
  17. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what mine looked like except a big portion was sucked into the intake!!! I'm going to K&N.
  18. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    An issue that snooker has addressed, I think. http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry/AirBox/index.htm Seems like the big spring/coil in the unifilter is the problem.

Snooker, since you're posting/reading again - how's the life on your filter after fixing that issue?
  19. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

The spring may exacerbate the problem but I don't think it's the primary cause. I can pull on the foam and it easily comes apart. I'm going back with a new K&N.
  20. DESERT SCORPION

DESERT SCORPION SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer:
    The spring is not the problem. The foam has deteriorated into sort of a foamy crud that falls apart by merely touching it.