So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    To riders who saw a deterioration of the Unifilter foam -
    How long did it take for you and what chemicals were you using for cleaning and oiling?

I have both the main and prefilters on mine, use soap and water to wash, SWWAFF (smells strongly of alcohol, more exactly - IPA) and am just wondering if this is a risk to keep an eye out for in the future.

So far, so good! =))
  2. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uni and Wunderlich Air Filters, Foam Sir Filters - beware

Behold.

From my XCo.

This filter is about 3 years old and has been periodically cleaned with soapy water and oiled with dedicated filter oil. It disintegrated while running. Seems as though it came apart in pieces. Everything was sucked into the intake track.

Thank goodness, I had serviced it about a thousand miles earlier and had not ridden any dirt roads since.

Foam filters work well but I would suggest regular inspections and replacement at least every two years. I'm through. Going to oiled cotton or paper.

[​IMG]

3. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    All those little orange chunks - look like remains of No-toil. We're you using No-toil? It is not compatible with most foam filters. If you did use No-toil then this is not an issue with the Uni.
  4. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    My UNI is fine. Three years and counting. If you ride water crossings you don't want a paper filter.... Ask me how I know..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    ranex, cgguy09 and keepshoveling like this.
  5. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I like how you put the mirrors down at the last minute. "Riding through trails? These guys stay up. But for the water, for the water my mirrors come down." :lol3
    BikerBobber likes this.
  6. BikerBobber

Oddometer:
    Makes less waves this way...

cgguy09 and keepshoveling like this.
  7. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the difference in seat height of the 09 due solely to the seat, or are there suspension changes too?
  8. motorrat

motorrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly suspension, shorter upper tubes (-3cm) and shorter shock.

@bikerbob, bet you where trying to keep your feet dry:rofl
  9. BikerBobber

Oddometer:
    Yes.. And I failed!

10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was not using Notoil. Another brand of foam air filter oil that I've used on other foam filters. Those orange chunks are bits of silicone grease used to seal the rubber airbox joint.
  11. Kalts

Kalts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you're a Xc rider.. be sure to add protection strip at the X-tank bottom. I took mine off few days ago because of alum. subframe problem and found that chain has chewed the pass-through tubes welds. I will take some pictures today and post them later. Sorry if the photo looks weird, the board software probably ignores Exif orientation tag. Please note that suspension was set to the lowest for a while. I cannot tell when the chipping took place but most probably while my wife rode the bike some years back.
    [​IMG]
    blaster11 likes this.
  12. an13

an13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Original version of X-tank has only 25mm recess in chain area, in jump chain might hit the tank. Problem was noticed and newer versions have 50mm recess so more room for chain to move.
  13. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you get them?
    I may try those when I have to change. I didn´t get one before because they come with a very expensive bracket and a unifilter was cheaper. I guess you only need to buy that once?
    Unifilter+prefilter have been ok for two years. I wash them with Fairy dishwasher and lots of water, let it dry for the night and spray with Motorex air filter oil.
    Most times it´s just the prefilter that´s dirty. The filter itself only needed cleaning two times IIRC.
  14. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I got mine (used) from a friend. No special bracket needed as far as I'm aware.

[​IMG]
  15. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dutchgit likes this.
  16. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still say to keep an eye on those foam filters. Check them occasionally for unusual softness. I discarded mine today and tested the foam again before doing so. It easily pulls apart.
  17. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Yuup I'm here... just got back from 2 separate trips off-road riding/driving/camping in Utah (on the 450 orange bike and Teryx UTV)... FANTASTIC !!

About the UNI foam filter... I used NoToil spray oil (supposedly made for FOAM or Fabric filters per NoToil), and I cleaned it with warm water and OxiClean laundry powder detergent. When I first found that problem I was suspicious that it was not entirely the oversized spring wearing the holes, but the NoToil degrading it as well (or perhaps the OxiClean). I had heard of NoToil sometimes causing the adhesives in a filter to go but was not expecting the foam itself to get degraded. I wanted to find a cleaner I could use on road trips, water based for motel room sinks :brow

I'm gonna have to check it again. The simple foam UNI prefilter sheet works so well I don't even remove the main filter much, but it's overdue so I'll let you know what I find. I never ride in other's dust, I wear a helmet with a shield and not goggles, so it doesn't get that dirty.
    I do NOT like paper (sorry Leafy).

Has anybody tried the UNI foam with another filter oil, perhaps TwinAir spray or ?
    I'd like a lube that is easy to find but cleans up with a water based and not a nasty solvent, for trips.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not using paper either.

I'm thinking that a cotton filter like K&N is the way with maybe a layer of foam prefilter on top for really dusty riding.

If the foam deteriorates, at least it won't be sucked down the intake tract.
  19. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I don't see why they've put a spring in the Unifilter for a start. It's not like the filter can colapse as it's inside the airbox.
  20. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    Shameless advertisement:

I'm clearing out my garage so there's a ton of stuff that has to go,
    for the Xcountry I have a set of passenger footpegs/grab handles and a fork with triple clamps.

These items came off of a '07/'08 Xcountry that was ridden offroad (hard, I am talking single track/no-track-at-all), hence they don't have that showroom look anymore,
    but from a technical aspect they are sound.
    Forks are straight and work as they should, seals aren't leaking either. The uppers are scratched, though and there's a small dent close to the seal on one leg.
    Anyways, pics can be found here (forgot to photograph the triples, check the link again in like 4 or 5 days, I'll add them to the album):

http://imgur.com/a/wnPwO

Looking for 225€ for the passenger footpegs/grab handles and 500€ for the forks with triples.
    Shipping worldwide, within the EU it's 10€ for the passenger set and 20€ for the forks, for all other countries, PM me.

I will consider all reasonable offers, by the way.