So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    It should be buttersmooth. I'd start with mounting a C-clip to eliminate that being the cause, before looking any further.
    After all, there's quite a bit of tension on that shaft when operating the clutch and right now there's no C-clip to prevent it from moving vertically. My guess would be that it's grinding somewhere?
  2. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pleased to report that after six hours of bumps slithers and sloshes the clutch feels normal again . Phew.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  3. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did you go about turning the light off ?
  4. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Duct tape.
  5. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    You can make changes to the wiring loom, which I was planning to do but then a non-ABS loom came up for not a lot of money and BOOM, I went lazy :lol3:lol3:lol3
  6. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your WOF inspectors must be different to mine. No way would I get away with that here. They make a point of looking for lit up ABS lights. I have wondered about opening the dash up and crushing the LED.

It'so very easy to get a bee in the bonnet about some stupid inconsequential thing about a bike isn't it. It's just that these are compact bikes already fiddly to work on without having to endure controlling and working around crap that some know it all
    has installed assuming I don't have a brain and would die otherwise.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ms. Merkel getting another checkup and more farkling before taking off for the eastern and southern EU.

IMG_3730.jpg
    Zeus99, DGR and waylongway like this.
  8. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a similar pannier frame. I have used some large black cable ties to secure the flappy tail. Works a treat and you have to look hard to see them.
    NSFW likes this.
  9. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you can go with a Euro-spec tail to lighten the load a little.
  10. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unlikely. No need. And I'm allergic to blowing any more $$ after complete fuel pump assembly and rear shock. Bike was in storage for a decade.
  11. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im going to move my dash soon so will do the waterproofing trick. At that stage i will drop a blob of black paint on the led. I ride with the fuse out so want to get rid of the light.
  12. ERU

ERU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What waterproofing trick?
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
  14. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where's the water supposed to get in ? Splashing from beneath, through the windows in the panel, through the joint in the body ?
    I've run a strip of black tape around the join across the top and down the sides.
    Currently having the OEM shock perked up a bit with a heavier spring & new bump stop. The man's been looking at the numbers and pointed out how much softer the oem fork springs are than those in the challenge....mulling.
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you haven’t, replace the oil breather hose that goes to the oil reservoir.

First day of my EU adventure, stuck for 3 hours. Bike got towed to the nearby Kawasaki dealer to get it fixed. Bike has 15k miles.

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg
    lewiss66 likes this.
  16. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @NSFW, Sorry to hear that! I hope there was no other damage besides the hose? I've read stories of people sliding over their own oil...:muutt

To be honest I haven't replaced it either. I always thought the hose only deteriorated on bikes that had too much oil in them.
    But it's kind of confronting to see how a 10$ hose can ruin a ride.
    Your post makes me want to replace it ASAP, just for peace of mind.
    NSFW likes this.
  17. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it the hose that connects to the top of the reservoir? I might want to check mine out.
  18. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. Just get some fuel line from the autostore and make sure it doesn't rub on the knee panel of the fake tank.
  19. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just as a comment, I have a two G650GS bikes (one a factory lowered one the Missus rides) as well as the Xcountry. I'm always amazed when getting on the GS after riding the X for a while by how smooth it is, and how effortlessly it gets up to (my) cruising speed of 100kph. I know why the smoothness, Chinese engineering when they try can be peerless. Getting up to cruising so nicely has me a bit beat given the X bikes extra 5 hp and 30kg less mass. I can only put it down to the X's incredibly strong throttle spring. The X is my offroad day trip bike, the GS is more comfortable long distance and is my touring bike.
    computer_freak and Zeus99 like this.
  20. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Chinese engineering :confused