So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have removed the second return spring? Much better after that.
  2. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Second one ? I can't even see the first one. They don't seem to show up on the parts diagrams....where is the removable one ?
  3. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @underontop , it's on the left side of the throttlebody. You don't even need to remove it, just unhook it.
    NSFW likes this.
  4. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well that was an easy excercise ! Thanks Gents ! My refurbished shock with heavier spring arrives tomorrow.
    DGR likes this.
  5. ERU

ERU Adventurer

Oddometer:

Funny enough, i just did that last night, after job in the last minutes preparatios before trip.
    Albania here i came........
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that just a matter of removing the seat and unhook the spring? Pls say so.
    tbarstow likes this.
  7. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take off LH side cover . I unhooked one spring with two small screwdrivers. Easy.
    NSFW and tbarstow like this.
  8. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Its easy to do. I did a quick turn mod to the throttle tube and now it really barks. Mind you i have a powercommander and custom tune.

I saw on Bryce's page he was working on a X shock so that must be your's.
    NSFW likes this.
  9. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Left side of the throttle body. The RepRom has a pic of it, as does one if the G650X threads. Pop o e spring off and leave it. Reassemble motorcycle, resume riding with a less-than-PopEye right forearm.
    NSFW likes this.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Simple enough but kicking myself for not getting it done 1800 miles earlier in the last 10 days.

The folks at the store were wondering where I found the XCo.

Qcvr8PM-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg
    DGR, Defender63 and underontop like this.
  11. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The latest and possibly last hand-easing job has been to swap the oem clutch lever (and subsequent aftermarket adjustable one) for a "proper"
    OEM G650GS adjustable lever which has decent geometric leverage . Clutch action is now luvly & smooth & SOFT. Just like the throttle.
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks.

Do you have the part number of the lever?
  13. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The BMW part is #32727688439. The knob on the end of my X's cable was minutely fatter than the cavity in the new lever, I drilled the cavity bigger to suit, and had to take a couple of swipes with a file across the flat of the lever where it slots into the the cheeks of the hinge on the mount. Took all of 10 minutes to swap levers.
    DGR and NSFW like this.
  14. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My G650GS and X-Country are both from 2008. Both partly assembled in China. And the GS is smoother. My guess is that it's mainly the ECU mapping + heavier flywheel and heavier bike that smooths out acceleration and deceleration.

The X-Country feels more twitchy and jumpy to me. Both characteristics have their advantages.

The X-Country does have a very linear throttle curve. On the GS its very calm and tame up until I twist the throttle above 75% open and then it's like all the horses are let out of the barn. Like riding with V-TEC. The bike suddenly gets very aggressive. The X-Country doesn't have this.

It's nice to see that you have both bikes and use both. I hardly use the GS and was thinking of getting rid of it, but I'm also thinking about keeping it as a Euro city-trip bike.
  15. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    I believe the X has a much smaller flywheel and stator. Not sure but I think the throttle body is bigger as well.

Also the X are much lighter.
  16. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    I have to redact what I said. I mentioned that the X is not as smooth as the GS. Now I have been having fuel issues for a couple of weeks. It just wasn’t as smooth as I wanted it to be. At low RPM it would be a bit hesitant. Tried injector cleaner but it didn’t work fully.

So yesterday I climbed up to 2770 meters. Bike was fine. Went down and the bike lost power constantly. Bucking like a mule that was angry. So I coasted to 1900 meters and since it was getting dark, I found a place to sleep.

Next morning still the same issues. It even had issues keeping idle. Perhaps because of the cold weather. Drove it carefully at 50kmh in second gear because it was happy there. After 20 kilometers, the bike was great again! I was at a slight lower altitude.

But later on I climbed to 2300 meters and the bike stalled. Red light on the dashboard, o shoot. But it started right back up again.

Fixed it on the mountain summit. The X is smooth as butter again. Guess what it was. Free fix, no parts needed and only basic hand tools required.
  17. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me see now, arr...pocket of air trapped in the spark plug cover expanded at altitude and popped the lead off ?
  18. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    Hint; The fix had nothing to do with the spark plug, injector or fuel filter. The air box stayed on during the repair.
  19. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Clogged tank vent?
  20. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @computer_freak , good to hear you're enjoying your bike out there! :ricky
    Was it a loose battery terminal?

You could also try the Sol2be accelerator module, costs very little. It smoothed things out for me because its not running as lean anymore.
    computer_freak likes this.