So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The hint is usually in the word "diesel" that's on the "holster" where the nozzle hangs. :lol3
    Zeus99 likes this.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joel liest kein deutsch.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  3. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In some countries diesel is “Gazole”. So easy mistake. Diesel is usually the greasiest handle.

I had an app for what fuel you should get in which country. And what the local name was. Especially with the E5/E10 ethanol nowadays it’s good to know what is what. My X and GS are good on E95. Outside Europe I only get gas at big gas stations, with a reputable name, roof, multiple pumps. I don’t get fuel at the small two pump stations for local farmers.
  4. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    My bike survived the three week 5000km trip including going to the Sahara desert. Other than the battery terminal bolt and the exhaust shield bolt I didn’t have a single problem. Wonderful bike.

I spent from March till August getting the bike sorted for this trip and there isn’t anything I would do different.

Work done to it in chronological order:
    G650GS shifter
    RAM X-Grip + Android navigation
    Ultimate Addons DIN to microUSB adapter
    Mitas E07 front and E07+ rear
    New brake discs
    Scheffelmeier spacers
    X-Challenge exhaust (original one was broken)
    Hot Rod protection parts
    Hot Rod X-Rack
    Steering head bearings replaced
    Hyperpro fork kit
    Neoprene fork guards
    X-Challenge fork cartridges
    Hyperpro rear shock 461
    RAM M8 mount on steering clamp
    Scheffelmeier baseplate
    Long model side stand
    Big hand guards
    Abus lock holder
    Seat foam
    Bolted license plate directly, no holder
    Injector cleaner

Lots of work and lots of planning getting al the parts shipped, crafted and fitted. Lots of appointments for things I needed help with (in knowledge, tools or just needing a place to work on the bike).

Total price of the bike, parts and labour is around what a new G310GS will cost you. But this bike is much better in every single way.

Looking forward to my next trip. Will sort out some photos when I’m at home and relaxed.
    Zeus99, DGR, Dutchgit and 3 others like this.
  5. ERU

ERU Adventurer

Oddometer:

Can you detail a little about those two parts/mods ?
  6. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    I asked Bas (Hyperpro) to raise the bike as high as comfortable for me (1.82m). He put two X-Challenge fork cartridges in the lowered X-Country fork, which raised it to full 270mm suspension travel. We even dropped the forks in the clamps a little (5mm) to not go too high. The used cartridges came from two X-Challenges as we used two rebound ones. I'm not sure about the last part though, Bas called it "uitgaande demping" in Dutch. He was not a fan of the "ingaande demping" (compression?) as they could bottom out on you.

Next to that we also swapped the fork springs out for Hyperpro springs. Not entirely necessary but I figured while everything was disassembled anyhow and with 40.000km let's just do it the right way. I have all new suspension now.

And a new side stand of course.

It's not comparable to a Marzocchi upgrade but I'm not a suspension guru. I just wanted to bike to ride nice, be able to handle rough roads all day and have more ground clearance.

I have some pictures. The first picture is the before, the second picture the after. Due to the socks it's hard to see the difference but it's a couple of centimeters. Look at how the widened part of the fork relates to the black part of the fender.
    IMG_1315 (1).jpg
    IMG_1525 (1).jpg

Yes it says C but that is because we couldn't find two R caps:
    IMG_1508.jpg

I had no problem with the highway from Antwerp to Brussels. The bike ate the bumps without a problem. Took a picture of it:
    IMG_2119.jpg
    DGR, Bebbs800, Zeus99 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The highway from Antwerp to Brussels :lol3
    Bebbs800 and computer_freak like this.
  8. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    I've always liked the XCountry, but I haven't ever seen many around. One popped up on the local CL, a 2009 with 7000 miles, new battery, new tires, looks to be in good shape in photos, all stock. Asking price is $4500, was listed at $5300 a while back. I plan on taking a look at it this weekend. My other option is a 2014 G650GS with some add-ons (heated grips, side cases and top box) and only 1500 miles (been sitting a while), I think I can get that one under $5k, but the X appeals to me more. I just sold a Street Bob and miss my Triumph Scrambler and WR250R which I never should have sold. I'm trying to get back to a small, light, nimble, and dirt-able all-rounder. Thoughts on price? Anything to look out for?
  9. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    I have both, but I might be selling the G650GS next year. I don't do highway, I solely ride B-roads for about 5 to 11 hours a day on big trips. The X-Country is perfect for that, I like the bike more than my GS. Offroad it's miles better.

However if you have big stretches of highway in your trips, perhaps the G650GS with its touring seating position and the possibility of a large windscreen, together with side cases, might be a better option.

Also with bikes that have been sitting a while, set aside $500 for maintenance. I doubt a 1500 mile bike has had its yearly maintenance.

Can you test ride both?
  10. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Be aware that the 2009 (Yellow paint) is a low bike. Other than that it's a really nice bike to do twisties on, plus you can do mild to medium trails too.
    I wish I had another (stock wheels etc.) Xco to hoon around on next to my fully travel modded one !
    The X is a lot lighter than the GS and it has more power to boot. The GS I think is more comfortable for long days travelling.
  11. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    I found out about the The GS from an inmate I know, it actually belongs to his BIL, and he just put a new battery and fuel pump in it for him. He's going to run through it for any other issues from sitting. I'm sure I can test ride both.

That's good to know on the suspension, I was not aware that the yellow 09s were lowered - I'll have to evaulate that when I look at it tomorrow. FWIW, I'm not planning any long trips (maybe one or two 500 mile weekends a year if I'm lucky) and will mostly be bombing around local twisties and dirt/fire roads.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  12. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The X will feel more WR-ish than the GS.
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    If you can test ride both I think I know which one will end up in your ownership :D

The 09 X also has (stock) a lower seat IIRC.
    On standard height I got to scrape the pegs on a 07 XCo standing up ! And that was on Heidenau K60 tyres.
  14. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    Also with bikes that haven't done many miles, check the date code on the tires. Google on how to do that, it differs per brand and country. Factor in the price of a new set of tires if they are over five years old.
  15. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    Good point, but to be honest, I usually just check to see if they are visibly checked, dry rotted, or hardened.:D
  16. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    I guess what I was really asking was if there are any XCountry specific issues I should be on the lookout for? Like the info on the '09s having low suspension and seats. Any problem areas?:ear
  17. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clutch cable and clutch cover. See how well it shifts.

If it has an aftermarket exhaust, check the coolanr hose under the exhaust header.
  18. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    If it has the stock shift pedal, check it for damage. If it has any, check as good as you can if the shaft is bent. If so, don't buy it.
    The whole bike needs to be taken apart from the head stock back to be able to get the engine out, which in turn also has to come apart completely.

It should start and run without using the throttle.
    Check the underside of the engine for damage/leaks.
  19. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get the matte black engine casing looking new? Can I remove the front frame with the bike on the side stand or will the bike buckle?

This is how it looked pre-wash. Yuk. Unfortunately due to rain I had to stop but I'll continue tomorrow.

IMG_2468.jpg
  20. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    This is how far I got without removing parts. Lots of water, degreaser and microfiber towels.

IMG_2473.jpg