So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeap. And I am already out of loctite.. left peg, kickstand, lower subframe bolts. Anyone want to tell me how to tighten up the ignition switch? It's rutling drives me crazy
  3. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I just got one too. I was happy to get it running - I haven't addressed everything else it needs. I just happened to notice the subframe was wobbly and found one of the upper sub-frame bolts was missing entirely. I will probably be chasing some rattles too. Mine needs complete fluid change, brake pads, tires and tubes, throttle body and idle actuator cleaning. Other than that it seems fine. :-)

My X Country.jpg
    DGR, cyclopathic and NSFW like this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which bolt and where?

Mine came from dealership so it's running and starts. Is your ignition switch loose to?
  5. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't know about those.
    Thanks!
  6. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden all three and I must say I'm impressed with Anakee Wild off road performance.
    But for the front I'm looking to get something more aggressive.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  7. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Mine came from the back of a guy's garage. It hasn't been ridden in years. The bolt that was missing..... take off the seat and follow the upper subframe rails forward towards the engine. There are two circular looking pieces that have recessed (M8-1.25 x 20) bolts. The one on the right side was missing and I've replaced both with hardware found at the Home Improvement store, for now. I can't answer your question about the ignition switch but will check it next chance I get. The bike is stored in my sister's garage for the time being, 40 some miles away.

I put in a new battery and some fresh gas and it started right up. I rode it up onto my trailer and that's it so far. The front tire is original and has significant cracks in the sidewall. Everything works - lights, horn, interlocks; and everything is there - owner's manual, 2 keys, tool kit, footpeg rubber inserts - even the charcoal canister. Other than the BMW Windscreen, it is totally stock. ABS-less. There is no evidence that it has ever been down. So I'm putting together the maintenance parts and was lucky enough to find/buy an XChallenge skid plate and Touratech luggage rack from a couple of inmates here on ADV Rider. I'm going to try and fit some Aprillia hand guards I have on hand, and the usual Ram mount and phone/gps power and call it good. I keep telling myself that's the plan, but....

Subframe snip.PNG
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a side-by-side comparison between the three versions of this motorcycle?

I'm looking for a chart that explains the Xcountry with the other two versions but I haven't found it yet

Thank you
  9. cpallen

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic and Red Sand like this.
  10. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe there have only been two versions, built in 2007 (black/silver color) and built in 2008 or later (yellow/silver color).

The yellow model has the strong subframe, adjustable handles, modern mirrors, better clutch case. But it's also lowered on three places: Rear shock, front forks and seat. You can raise those three but it will be expensive.
  11. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I took his post to mean comparing the XCountry with the XChallenge and XMoto. But he also would want/need to know about the revisions you pointed out to the 2007 XCountry that were incorporated into the 2009 (US Version) model. I'm not sure there was an actual 2008 model XCountry, but if there was I'm pretty sure it would be the original black bike and not the revised yellow one.
  12. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My G650 XCountry is supposed to be a 2008 . . . could it possibly be something else - like a different year &/or a different model?

Thanks
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a magnet and stick it to rear subframe;if it sticks you have a later revision.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone running 140/80 rear with 100/90 front? If you do, which brands,
  15. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this is a miscommunication with Americans and calling a motorcycle made in 2018 a "2019 model". My yellow, steel subframe motorcycle was signed off by BMW in München on 21-11-2018 and plated on 26-11-2018. The EG-Typengenehmigungsnummer on the Certificate of Conformity is from 12-03-2018 and looking at the ETK I think the first yellow, steel subframe motorcycles rolled off the production line in March 2018.

A steel subframe is easy to spot: The passenger footpeg holders are non-removable (and rather ugly).
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC GM started tradition of naming model by the year; as 'merkan or not I don't see any issue with assigning a year number or any other arbitrary number to model name.. it's just a number not fallacy.

The other big difference besides the steel subframe that black engines are built by Loncin in China not by Rotax in Austria

Yes and you messed up years they are off by decade.
  17. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Is it black, or yellow?
  18. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at tires extensively over the past few days and found that the recommended rim width for a 140/80-17 is 3.50". The XCountry has a 3.0" rim so a 130/80-17 is the appropriate size. On the other hand, the front 2.5" wide rim can accommodate either a 100/90-19 or 110/80-19 tire.

I have also found that in some cases for a given model the 100/90 is a bias ply and the 110/80 is a radial and so you might want to pick depending upon the design of the corresponding 130/80 rear, lest you mix the two which might not be optimal. I have my flame suit on for all those of you who are going to tell me there is nothing wrong with mixing radial and bias ply tires because they have done it and didn't die.

I am probably going to go with the plain vanilla version of the Mitas E-07 (not the + or Dakar) purchasing them from a local(ish) Mitas Dealer. I'll carry the wheels in and have them provide new tubes and rim strips and mount and balance the tires. I know that it won't be the cheapest way to go but I am committed to trying to support my local motorcycle shops when it makes sense to do so. This goes for clothing and accessories as well. First choice is buying good used stuff from inmates or offer up/craigslist, and doing as much of my own maintenance as I can. Changing tires in cold weather is not enjoyable for me. Trailside repairs are a necessity obviously, but I can usually count on getting some help.

Mitas E-07 Tires.PNG
    Mitas E-07 Tires 2.PNG
    Zeus99 and Dutchgit like this.
  19. cpallen

Oddometer:
    My title and registration designates the model year for the bike as a 2009. It seems like the model year is noted on the vin tag on the steering head. It's a yellow bike with steel subframe and welded-on passenger footpegs.

If I run the vin on one of the decoder sites: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?vin=XB93521

It comes back as a 2008 model, manufactured 3/29/2008. Maybe it's the 2009 model in the US that is the fallacy.

On the other hand, if you plug it in here: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/Decoder
    Manufacturer: BMW AG MOTORCYCLES
    Vehicle Type: MOTORCYCLE
    Model Year: 2009
    Make: BMW
    Model: G650 Xcountry
    Body Class: Off-road Vehicle - Enduro (Off-road long distance racing)
    cyclopathic and Red Sand like this.
  20. ERU

ERU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actualy there is a 2008 version, even if it is actualy a revision on 2007 model. You can easily identify it looking at the mirors. The color scheme is black/silver but the 2007 model have round mirors vs "modern" mirors for the 2008 model. I'm not sure about subframe, but i think both have de aluminium one.
    Regarding tires i managed to put Mitas E07 on my brother bike with a 110 front tire, without any issues.
    cpallen and cyclopathic like this.