So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I think it's the same as the 1200 screen but has a different mounting bracket.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it have the same hole spacing?
  3. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    If you mean the screen itself I tend to think so.
    You might find out by comparing part numbers on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0 if the screens are listed under accessories for each particular model.

I just checked and they are the same shields, it's just the bracket and fitting kit that's different.

Funnily enough only the fitting kit was listed on the USA model pages but on the EU models there was the shield there as well.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/pa...194_&mg=77&sg=33&diagId=77_0175&q=71607704107
  4. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have that BMW OEM shield on my bike if you want to see pictures. It's pretty low but keeps the wind off your chest. Also very solid mounting.

From the MAX BMW On Line Parts Fiche:
    port Windshield Fits.PNG Sport Windshield, Tinted Fiche.PNG
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

also prevent the wind from blowing off my iphone from its mount......truth is i don't trust this mount at all
    [​IMG]
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i have this at home and thinking of bringing it with me on the next trip. install it on the OEM windscreen to extend the coverage. anyone already done it?

[​IMG]
  7. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Glue or RTV those rubber nubbins onto the arms and you should be ok. They also have a rubber ‘tether’ you could use. I don’t like that one because the arms interfere with the volume and power buttons. The best one IMHO for off road is the Perfect Squeeze.
    DGR and NSFW like this.
  8. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hello Folks,

Today was my first trip to the mountains! Everything was great . . . almost . . . besides needing 50/50 tires (or similar), the fuel range is . . . well, something must be wrong

My "low fuel" light came on for the first time and so, I put in 1.7 gallons. I was looking inside the tank and "eyeballed" the level to be just under the fill hole - the level of fuel was "sort of" inline with the horizontal purple line in the photo below. I drove 94 miles and the low fuel light was on again - really? WTF?

Am I doing something wrong when filling up?

Also is it okay to buzz down the interstate at 75 mph (125 kph) or is that putting too much stress on the engine?

Totally loving this machine so far!

THANK YOU!!! :)

my g650 xc, 11-nov-2019, 01.jpg 2008 BMW G650 Xcountry, 02.jpg
    DGR and cyclopathic like this.
  9. cpallen

Oddometer:
    You have a 2.5 gal tank and got 55 mpg (94/1.7). That’s no too bad. Do you have a 14 or 16 tooth sprocket? A 14 might reduce your range a little bit. You should be able to conservatively ride 120 miles between gas stops

75 mph Shouldn’t be any problem.
    Zeus99, NSFW and Red Sand like this.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i have 15T CS / 47T combo and still get 70 mpg. i seldom do highways and if i do, 75 mph is still comfortable for about an hour or 2. i can't imagine doing it for 4 hours or more.

since it's unlikely we're going to see Mitas E07, i am leaning on getting the Heidenau K60 rear tubeless, in conjunction with the Outex Tubeless conversion.

any thoughts on Heidi?
  11. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The k60 is very slippery in the wet on tarmac, at least on my F650GS. Much more than the tkc80.

Edit: my K60 Scout doesn't have a center belt and is still very slippery in the rain on tarmac.
    NSFW likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are shit in rain in 150/70-17 size due to center belt but 130/80 doesn't have belt and it'll be fine.. that is what XT500 owner told me. Still the rubber is slippery when center gets bold.

It is my understanding that 130/80-17 E07 got discontinued so you either have to get plus or get 140/80.
  13. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Mitas E-07's in 100/90-19 and 130/80-17 on order from an 'authorized dealer'. I was very specific with the shop that I didn't want the + or Dakar versions of the tire. We'll see what they end up receiving.

Email to shop:
    Hi, Nice talking to you today. To reiterate our telephone conversation, I have a 2009 BMW G650X Country. This is similar to the F650GS but a little smaller and lighter. The back wheel on mine is only 3.0" wide vs the 3.5 wide wheel on the F650GS which is where the 130 vs 140 tire size may have come from. No ABS.

The OEM tire and wheel sizes are:
    100/90-19 (57H) Front - 2.50 x 19 wheel = (E-07: #24547 100/90-19 57T TL, or # 24439 110/80-19 59T TL
    130/80R-17 (65H) Rear - 3.00x17 wheel = (E-07: #24133 130/80-17 65T TL)

I know that people have been able to run a 110/80-19 front on my model bike without a problem but I don't want to go to a larger rear. I would also prefer to stay away from the "Dakar" version because due to the thicker sidewalls I'm afraid I would have a hard time fixing a flat trailside. For my light bike and wimpy off road skills I think the standard OEM sizes and (non-plus, non Dakar) versions will be fine. I am also on a budget. I will also need tubes and rim strips. I'll trailer the bike over or maybe just bring the wheels so weather will not be too much of an issue but will also want to wait for the work to be done. I'm also retired so I can be pretty flexible on the schedule. I'm about 125 miles away from you.....
    -- end quote.

He responded that the tires were ordered, without qualification so we'll see. I don't think that I will spend anywhere near 50% off road on the bike but my experience has been that tires are much more important off road than on. Putting TKC-80s on my R1200GSA transformed that bike off road from absolutely terrifying to just mildly frightening (on the surfaces I ride). On road, the tires were noisy and the rear tread didn't last very long but other than that they were fine, maybe even good. I had a XChallenge and it was too tall for me to really enjoy certain aspects of riding it, such as stopping and getting on/off the bike. Even after spending more than $1000 to lower it. Otherwise I loved that bike. Buying the XCountry was totally an impulse purchase and I'm hoping that it will be fun off road and acceptable on.
    NSFW likes this.
  14. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Red Sand likes this.
  15. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Red Sand After the reserve light you should be able to put at least 7 liter = 1.85 gallon in. On the metal fill ring there is a hole in the bottom section. Once I see fuel trying to come trough that hole that is where I stop.

IMG_1842 (1).jpeg
    Zeus99 and Red Sand like this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I was told the people who ordered E07 were getting E07+.. you can still get leftovers. Do you care 26mm socket and aliens to take wheels off? Centerstand? Otherwise it's a moot point and you won't be able to patch tube; tubeless conversion and plug kit way to go.

There isn't any friggin way you would be able to mount/dismount any Mitas product roadside alone.. this is judging from experience mounting/dismounting them or Savas in convince of garage.. just saying. If you do hats off you are much better than me. We used kickstand to break the bead and at some point 530lbs bike was all in the air.. it would still not badge. And you need long levers and silicone lube for mounting

E07s are very good on pavement for 50/50 tire. They last forever I had rears go for 17-25k on bigger bike though after 10-12k they are more like 20/80. Front isn't that good and is cause of instability in 110/80-19 150/70-17 size.. bad matchup. If you want a good on/off combo tkc80 or shinko 804 front is a good choice to E07 rear. The only issue they cap strangely under braking.
  17. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I mount E07 Dakars by hand in my garage with the tools I have on the bike. You just need practice.
    Red Sand likes this.
  18. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks @cyclopathic and @Dutchgit. I have and carry necessary tools and have some experience with fixing flats, although I hate to have to do it. I have a lot to do just to get it on the road. We’ll see what tires turn up.
  19. cpallen

Oddometer:
    My tires are in and are allegedly the Mitas E-07 non-plus, non-dakar versions in 100/90-19 ($117) and 130/80-17 ($131). Heavy duty tube + rim strip $20; mounting and balancing $20 (each wheel, off bike). Having the work done on Friday, will update then. I will still have a lot of (2 or 3 days at least) work to do on it before it's road ready. The weather has also been record-breakingly awful - it was -2 º F this morning after getting 3" of snow the night before - more snow tonight. So most likely the road won't be ready before I am.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    wow, good to know there are still old stocks out there, especially the rear. i highly recommend you do the Outex Tubeless kit and since you probably have plenty of indoor time this winter.

i did the tubeless conversion on my Africa Twin and hasn't lose air for the last 8 months.
    cyclopathic likes this.