So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Zeus99

Zeus99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also use endless chain, but had it fitted in a local shop.
    The guy remembered my family name on more than one occasion while fitting it
    Dutchgit and cyclopathic like this.
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I don't know because I never changed those bearings but you best look at the parts sheet for it. There's the outer bearing races in there that might need doing too which, I assume, will be a major pain in the bum. (the ones in the swing arm)
    The "bolt" on the right is held in by 3 Allen key bolts which you will likely have trouble with to start. Hammer in a Torx bit that is very slightly bigger and fit new normal Allen head bolts later.
    Inside the large "bolt" is an Allen head which is pretty useless as there is no thread on the bolt. There is thread on the inside (M10 I believe) so you can fit a slide hammer (or make one out of M10 threaded rod)
    The left side does have thread, use penetrating oil on that and take it easy. There is a Helicoil inside the frame piece which does come out in some cases, hence the oil.
    The other bolt is on the bottom of the shock. It can be stuck in there with dirt, maybe even some rust. You want to undo the nut on it first before trying to undo the bolt (through the hole in the swing arm)
    Try to clean out the hole with compressed air and use penetrating oil there as well.

The needles may fall out of their cages of the bearings so be aware of that in case you can reuse them.
    If there is no play in the swing arm, you might get away by just re-greasing them.
    lewiss66, DGR and cpallen like this.
  3. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks you guys - maybe a job for next year. My X Co has only 13K miles of light street use so hopefully they will be ok, for now.
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Endless chain? You can't be serious. A staked master is just as reliable.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @sanjoh I don't think it's about the chain, it's about forcing yourself to remove the swingarm and check/grease/replace the bearings.

I checked the bearings somewhere around 20K km's. All the parts came out without a struggle and the bearings were fine. I remounted everything with a fresh dab of grease.

I think washing the bike with a water hose instead of a pressure washer is good advice if you like your bearings to last.
    Dutchgit and cpallen like this.
  6. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The whole point here is, as I pointed out, that you are forced to take out the swing arm to fit it.
    So you'd be an idiot not to put some grease in them bearings, which will save you unnecessary issues down the line.

It's like wearing protective gear when you go out riding.
    The fact that you may have never benefited from it doesn't mean you never will need it.
    DGR, Zeus99 and Gravel Seeker like this.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Sounds like BMW logic. I would much rather grease bearings by choice.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok thanks Ard,
    I'll check that.

Dutchgit likes this.
  9. gattointelligente

gattointelligente Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed the hardened rubber seals. The brown one is VITON made for hight temp.

Attached Files:

cyclopathic likes this.
  10. gattointelligente

Oddometer:
    My spare parts supplier is closed because of COVID 19, here in Italy it is a hard challenge! So I have time for a general check up. Clutch dissassembled and checked. There is a faint groove on the metal disck in contact with the judder spring. Hope no problem. I should to remove the swingarm and grease/replace the needle bearings, but I dont want to have too many pieces wandering all around my garage.

Attached Files:

Zeus99 and DGR like this.
  11. cpallen

Oddometer:
    Spent A few hours workining on the barnyard X Country. Installed the Staintune muffler recently purchased from a Facebook friend in Australia. Beautiful piece of work, but pretty loud. Also performed a cannisterectomy, and added the DIN plug under the tank that comes stock on the ABS bikes. Getting close to done and riding weather is right around the corner!

834BA915-5D1D-435B-81D2-DB6AF7DBADD1.jpeg
    Zeus99, DGR and cyclopathic like this.
  12. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @gattointelligente , Nice to see people taking good care of their X bikes!:clap
    could you share some details and pics about that storage tube beneath the muffler and how you mounted it? Looks like a nice solution!

I mounted a 6x50cm plastic tube (actually meant for drawings) to carry my tentpoles. On the picture below it's not mounted yet. Currently using velcro loops to tie it to the rack. It works but I'm not thrilled with it. I'm hope you found a better way to mount the tube :-)

[​IMG]
  13. gattointelligente

Oddometer:
    @DGR Mine is a sturdy ABS pipe with a watherproof screw cap (there is a large O-ring in it). First I made a frame on the right side for a self made graphite case. Then I used a U-shaped steel pipe, from a bicycle ground-stand, to reinforce the wheel cover and licence plate support. I fixed it with the bolt of tre left grab handle. Here the iron ring supporting the ABS pipe. Thepipe bottom is fixed in a C shaped plate I put betwen the muffler pin support and the rear footpeg. The alluminium long plate should limit heating from the muffler. Maybe pics speak better than me!

Attached Files:

cpallen and DGR like this.
  14. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics and explanation @gattointelligente ! I love creative DIY solutions like this. Great job on the custom case :thumb
  15. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    On the subject of tent poles: You can get shorter element ones on Ebay or Aliexpress and such. Made out of aluminium or fiberglass.
    It's what I did as I was happy with my tent but not with the long poles as they didn't fit right in my panniers so I got different ones.
    DGR, Zeus99 and cyclopathic like this.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Too easy :thumb:lol3

Like @DGR says, it's about the fun of creating something
    :scratch :type :hmmmmm :jjen :norton :wings :drink :chace:kat :jkam
    Dutchgit and DGR like this.
  17. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I like that idea. I'll have a look at the options. Even though I enjoy tinkering with luggage solutions, I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Being able to pack the poles in the panniers would be a big plus. It's just one less thing that can go wrong.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  18. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I have always packed my poles in the stuff sack with my tent, and then lashed the tent to my seat with the poles in a safe orientation so they wouldn't get bent.
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Well, the spot you chose for the tent-pole-pipe is the spot that has my tractor-document-tube which holds my 21" spare inner tube !
    :clap:freaky:beer:happay:pynd:rilla:wave:thumbup
  20. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Quoted wrong post, mate :D
    Yeah, I did use to have a "tool tube" mounted where the right exhaust went before I replaced it with a single can aftermarket Staintune. But I haven't used a tube in years now. Found the tubes from Agrisupply were too small to really carry any tools I might find a place for it for a spare tube 'cause those are a fucking pain the ass to carry around

Not same bike as you either :lol3

Now don't have anything there, but have had a 12 liter aux tank made to mount there. It's for those future adventures in hard to reach places and 100% function over form. Though I like it when the bike is laden for travel. Have some work left to finish the tail end so it works with the tank since the filler/ lid is so high.

[​IMG]
    Dutchgit and cpallen like this.