So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and battery connections etc. I'm fairly sure the stoppage is related to the weird dashlight behaviour. I think I've narrowed it down to the starter relay as unlikely as it may seem. Got a new one coming, fingies crossed !
    Dutchgit likes this.
  2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I didn't think the starter relay was involved in anything if the starter button wasn't pressed. Didn't you say it was running and sporadically lost ignition? Maybe I'm mixing up your issues with someone else's as there's been a handful of 650's with gremlins lately :-)
  3. LovemaX

LovemaX The Riding FreeBird

Oddometer:
    TRW/Lucas does make discs that fit the X bikes but be careful that if you have an ABS model, their thickness is not same as the original ones from Brembo.
    I had mine replaced with one from TRW and I ran into issues with ABS and sorted it out with adding extra washers on the ABS ring to raise the ring closer to sensor.
    I posted this on my blog entry for the swap.
    @Dutchgit helped me wisely with his advice as well that gap was not normal so ended up comparing the discs thickness and it was visible that the price comparisons between Brembo(€125) and TRW(55€) was more or less the material thickness as well.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  4. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a wee issue of the dashlights doing strange things like coming on after the key has been turned on then off....The starter relay is definitely clicking away to itself nearly in co-ordination with the ignition key being turned on & off, and very closely co-ordinated with the the dash lights flicking on & off. Whether the relay is a cause or an effect I don't know but will find out when the new one arrives. It starts & runs fine once the dash lights decide to stay on with the key, and the igniton cuts out about twice in the first few km then no issue with either running or dashlights when hot. My local BMW guy thought it sounded like a sticking relay.... I removed the other three relays with no effect on the funny dashlights.

The thing is such a prick to work on at one stage today I was ready to bin it and go buy a DRZ400.
  5. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Buy a DRZ and you'll be sorry you've sold the X !
    Yes, the X does have some quirks but mostly they'll get sorted and I just love the smile it puts on my face when I ride it, rain or shine !
  6. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    I have both! At least the DRZ will run and run without a bunch of issues! Ever wonder why a bike released in 2000 is still in production.
    Topflite22 likes this.
  7. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    So the Brembo disc is twice as thick as the TRW? Odd.
  8. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    No, the cheaper disc is 1 mm thinner and so gets too far away from the ABS (and speed) sensor at the rear wheel.
    There might be problems with the ABS at the front for that reason if you swap in a thinner disc.
    LovemaX likes this.
  9. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    "So the Brembo disc is twice as thick as the TRW? Odd."
    1mm is the diff between Brembo and Armstrong as well.
    I reckon I'm forgiven for putting two and two together and reaching that conclusion from this sentence though, it's only logical :D

"so ended up comparing the discs thickness and it was visible that the price comparisons between Brembo(€125) and TRW(55€) was more or less the material thickness as well.
    "
    Dutchgit likes this.
  10. nidleriche

nidleriche n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

I just signed up, but I've been following this thread for the last couple weeks since I bought my first motorcycle ever, and it's g650 xcountry of course. I was looking to buy a dual-sport for a few months now, as I did some riding recently and fell in love with it. And then a few weeks back I stumbled upon a used g650 xcountry with 7,4k miles on it and finally said "THAT'S THE ONE" - immediately went the next day and bought it.

IMG_9335 2.jpeg

It came completely stock (see photo) with no mods or anything, which I love because it gives me room to upgrade and work on it for the years to come. I fell in love with this bike and if all goes well I'm planning to keep it as long as I can, learn with it about mechanics and everything, and just generally take a good care of it.

On my list of priorities for now are: new tires, crash bars, windscreen, hand protection and front light protection. I'm kinda on a budget and I'm planning to maybe make my own crash bars (I can do some welding), and eventually upgrade everything step by step as I learn and ride.

I love how the bike looks generally, but I'm not a big fan of the plastic cover (tank but not tank :D), so I'm considering to do some adjustments there. I don't want to paint it over or remove any original stickers, I'm looking to vinyl wrap this thing. I'm a fan of old BMW Paris Dakar styling, so inspired by that I created this little mockup in Photoshop for my plan on how to give it some character and make it more unique. See the pic below.

bmw-boja.jpg

Anyway, I'm here just to be a part of this community. I'm following the updates and seeing what's possible to do with this bike, keep up, take care and ride safe :)
    DGR, computer_freak, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Welcome and congratulations!
    First just spend some time on it and you'll soon find out if you'd like to change anything.
    If you build your own crashbars keep them. Custom home made is always cooler.
    Headlight protection....umm...unless you ride very close behind to other people with agressive tires you don't need it.

I like your design, but my favorite Dakar paint scheme are:

upload_2020-5-28_21-8-22.png upload_2020-5-28_21-9-40.png
    Bebbs800 and nidleriche like this.
  12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the X(clusive) club !

Mine started out just as yours.

Here it is as I currently have it.

[​IMG]

Can't tell from your picture but take off the stock shift lever if that is on there or you will be in a lot of mechanical/financial pain if you let the bike drop on it !

Depending on your planned riding, if you want to do gravel and some more off-road the Mitas E07 tyres are a good choice and they last pretty long too.
  13. nidleriche

nidleriche n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks :D I'm excited!! Looks like you had some great adventures on your bike.

Do you recommend getting the aux fuel tank? Where I live I can't get the Xtank easily, and from what I read it's a bit too expensive for my budget atm, I'm even considering building a custom one by myself but I'm not sure if it's worth doing it or just getting some kind of fuel can that I can take on and off..

What's the issue with the stock shift lever?

I was actually looking for all kinds of options for tyres and found that Mitas E07 have the best overall rating considering the price and performance at the same time, so I'm 100% getting those.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  14. nidleriche

nidleriche n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey btw, is there anyone selling Wunderlich windscreen for Xcountry? Or does anyone know wether I can buy one at all? I'm trying to find the best option, all the universal ones look a bit wonky compared to Wunderlich but they seem to be discontinued.
  15. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The stock lever is made of high strength aluminium, it is in fact so strong that if your bike drops on it, it will bend or even break the shift shaft.

Go on, ask me how I know....

I knew I had to change it when I got the bike but it was something of which I thought "I'll do that soon" but I didn't.

This is the result and to get the engine completely apart, you need to take the bike apart from the handle bars back. Just so you know.

[​IMG]

On a custom (or hotrodwelding) fuel tank: You need to figure out what your goals are with the bike.
    If you want to travel taking camping equipment and such, I can only recommend the tank and rear rack from Hotrod welding as that is the only stuff I have experience with, you will have to upgrade the suspension too if you want to ride anything other than relatively smooth surfaces. The rear spring is not stiff enough for a lot of people, for some even without added weight of luggage.

I suggest you change that lever and ride the piss out of it for a year and decide what you want and what you don't.

Cheers, Ard
    nidleriche likes this.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    If you weld aluminium yourself or know someone who does, you can make your own. Don't forget to weld in baffles so the fuel isn't sloshing around too much.

From a post I made a few years back:
    post #17416 here

I just bought the large Acerbis cap and an aluminium bung that fits it for my tank project that is slowly progressing.

Got the Acerbis cap (lockable) from a UK eBay seller.
    Large ~ 65-67mm. (M67x6.0mm pitch)
    (Small ~ 50-51mm. (M51x5.0mm pitch))

The bung came from Africa queens in Germany.
    "Available for 67mm and 51mm caps. Please state when ordering which cap you have !!"

The 67mm ones are both fairly large overall, and larger than I had imagined (didn't measure before ordering of course, just eyeballed from memory and didn't take flange into account). I wanted as large an opening as possible so it's be easier to fill from peculiar containers and barrels in the middle of nowhere. That was the reasoning for getting the larger one at least. Will make it work.

Hind sight is perfect and I'd go with the smaller cap if I did this again. The cap is actually a good size, but the bung and its flange became a limiting factor in the final design and build.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    For what use? I put about 70k on E07 and while rear is excellent front isn't so much it doesn't like raingroves. It lasts long time but extremely difficult to mount so if you get a flat it would be next to impossible to fix good luck.
  18. nidleriche

nidleriche n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I plan to go on mostly off-road adventures but obviously I'll be riding a lot of road as well, so through my research I found that it's mostly suggested as a great all-around 50/50 tyre. I read that it's hard to dismount though, do you have a better suggestion?
    Dutchgit likes this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you spend most of the time on pavement with rare excursions to gravel roads E07 is fine; for more I would suggest more aggressive front tire. I would definitely recommend rear and not E07+; the original is much better. As for front Bridgestone AX41, MotoZ RallZ, Shinko 804, Michelin Anakee Wild, Dunlop Trailmax Mission would be on my list.

Another good long lasting rear is MotoZ GPS but rear can slip under hard braking. And if you ever contemplated tubeless conversation it would be a good time to do good luck.
  20. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pirelli Scorpion Rally XCMH. The front sticks like glue and the rear does better than most in all terrain conditions.

For a more road biased tire, Kenda Big Block.