So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. uxc

uxc adventure nerd

Oddometer:
    Has anyone experienced an oil leak on the xcountry yet? I noticed some dripping today and since I happened to be parked at the dealership, took it in to get looked at. It was collecting at the very bottom of the bike, but I didn't get a chance to figure out where it was coming from.

Also, a PSA: there are several recalls on the bike. Make sure your mechanic has made all necessary updates for you. One just came out last friday, apparently. Nothing major, but you should get them all taken care of since they're free.
  2. deli-g650

deli-g650 bring'n the funk

Oddometer:
    i have about 3500 miles on mine and havent noticed an oil leak.. how many miles / kms do you have on your bike? recent services or anything?

when i took mine in for the 600 mile break-in service they took care of recall issue then. i wasnt even aware of it at the time.

if ya find out anything about the leak, let us know.
  3. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    I had mine leak from where the engine splits after a couple thousand miles...All I had to do was tighten the bolts from the left side of the engine. There's quite a few of them that go around the case and when I tightened mine I found quite a few to be loose. I guess it's part of the break in, probably not on all but on some for sure. It hasn't leaked since.
  4. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody,
    Sorry for not posting pictures yet. My friends are keeping me busy this week end.
    I'll try tomorrow but I will post them for sure. I acually live at Grenoble which is in the french alpes. There's plenty of roads in the mountains to ride and nice scenary but also we have to be carfull were we ride. There a lot of area forbiden for motorcycles when offroad.
    Later
  5. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    Here you go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where to get a center stand for an X-Country?
    These bikes don't sit on my stand very well for oil changes ect.
  7. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3792/595/

There's one on that website, just noticed it said it doesn't fit the xcountry or the xmoto. Anyone have any idea as to why? Would it be maybe because they have a lower clearance?
  8. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Too clean. Go out get it dirty and try again:D

Enjoy.
  9. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    Have done it already but the trail are too slipery and steep around here with this kind of tires. Not so easy. But don't worry I'll post some picture of my country's trails. I 've got also 15 years of Trial bikes in my feet that's why I like the trails bike like the Xcountry for It's duall purpose as well.:nod
    I bought a piece of metal that you can tight around the exhaust header pipe to protect your leggs from the heat .
    It's a touratech part. That help a bit. Better than nothing. That'll keep from having your pant burned after a long trip I guess.
    http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/product_info.php?cPath=21_140&products_id=7821&osCsid=b7c75cdd0401a422124e2cfd347a86ad

I've checked again my fuel consumption on an easy long trip this time and I made 175Km with 7 liters. Not bad at all.
  10. uxc

uxc adventure nerd

Oddometer:
    Ah, so THAT's why all my pants have a hole burned into the inner left ankle!
  11. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. dave1068

dave1068 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone do me a quick favor and measure the distance from the seat to the footpeg?

The X-C is on my shortlist and I want to compare it to another bike as far as leg room

Thanks,
    Dave-
  13. helixblue

helixblue Daredevil Clutz

Oddometer:
    I'm still a little fuzzy, but by it looks like they've lowered the XCountry a ways. I wonder if it's enough to affect the offroad worthiness of it? I think I like the look of the new model just a hair better.
  14. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    That yellow is funky...don't know if I like that they lowered it! Maybe more people will buy it that way I suppose...
  15. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    I looks like they just slid the fork tubes up higher in the triple clamps.
    Won't this make the front end more twitchy?
  16. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    It's all ready to go.
    What is this "spring" you all speak of? :lol3

[​IMG]
  17. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    Looking good Robbie, If only that damn snow would go away..:dood
  18. deli-g650

deli-g650 bring'n the funk

Oddometer:
    snow.... shmow... yeah i know easy for me to say, i am in alabama.. down side is i dont have crap for areas to ride around here. although it is 72 degrees today... i will be in CO soon.
    robbie ... i asume that is the TT bash plate you have under there.

here are a few things i am tossing around for my bike..
    first.. i need an electrical outlet for my GPS.. anyone know if i can get one from the dealer that is plug-n-play or does it need to be hard-wired in?
    second ... foam airfilter... anyone made this switch yet?
    third... maybe some frame sliders... not sure about that one yet

anyone else have any good ideas that they are considering or have tried lately?
  19. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    deli

The bash plate on my bike is the aluminum one from an X-Challenge. I bought it from another ADVer who put a TT one on his challenge.
    Those "challenge" guys are giving them away because the don't think there is a market for them.:deal

I bought a foam air filter from BMWAtlanta (ADV inmate) and installed it last week. I also left the cover off the airbox. I havn't riden it yet, but will give a seat of the pants dyno report soon.

It's hard to see in the photos, but I installed Cycra Probends on the stock bars. It's easy to do, just re-tap the threaded bar end dohickies for the cycra mounting bolt. No need to change bars at all.:1drink

I have also ordered some Pirelli MT-60's (damn 19" front wheel) Anybody used them? Any good?
    I had Michelin Siracs on my DRZ and loved them.

[​IMG]
  20. uxc

uxc adventure nerd

Oddometer:
    So it appears that the problem was a faulty ring gasket on the oil drain plug. Nothing serious, just a tad annoying. They replaced it free under warranty.