So... what are the best low buck GPSs?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by markk53, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I didn't see this yesterday. If that is true then you definitely want a GPS App on a phone. Any of the real navigation Apps (not the standard GE or Mapquest etc. but something like Gaia or MotionX or Scenic, or Osmand etc etc) will do exactly that. Without a cell signal. Without even a calling plan. Even a cheapo eBay phone for $50 or your last phone that has been sitting in a drawer since you upgraded to your current phone will do exactly what you want way easier and cheaper than any gps unit. Don't worry, you don't have to use any of the other 1000 things a smart phone will do that a gps can't.
    worwig and flamingm0e like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t use your primary phone on your bars. I have broken screens on devices from my chest protector hitting the bars of the bike during a log hop or other weird situations. This past weekend my buddy shattered the screen on his gps in a little tip over where his knee hit the screen as he was jumping off the bike. The reason that I am a Nuvi fan is because they are available on Craigslist or FB marketplace for $20, all over the place. If the unit gets damaged, get another. I use a Garmin Montana as my primary GPS but I always have Nuvi stashed in my bags. I am on the fourth screen on the Montana in a couple years of use.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    flexible mounts will prevent breakage
  4. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    When people describe something as "waterproof" they rarely know what that actually means although we generally get what they mean.

A submarine is waterproof. A phone is not. If something is waterproof it can exist in the water indefinitely. Never seen a phone that can do that.

Most modern phones are rated at either IP67 or IP68. This is the Ingress Protection rating. My phone is the latter while my tablet is the former. The first number is the rating for solids while the second is for liquids. These are standards that can be tested (but aren't always).

Something to keep in mind is that the standard refers to STILL water! Place your device gently in a 3 ft deep pool of water and it will probably be fine but drop it in a 1ft deep rushing stream and it probably won't be as the force of fast moving water at 1ft likely exceeds the force of 3ft of pooled water.

Also remember that, as Samsung told me, while my phone is rated at IP68 it is NOT warranted for ANY water damage! That rating just means it should survive, not that they will repair it if it doesn't. You've been warned.
  5. RJAMT

Oddometer:
    Which is why I use them for my mirrors, shift lever, etc.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:
    ...in the last 7-8 years of riding dualsports...
    i've ridden at >80mph in the POURING rain
    crashed into large creeks (small rivers)
    filmed fish under water
    and skipped them across creeks to show off their ruggedness

waterproof isn't a big deal at all.

in the last 6 years of riding progressively harder and harder single track/hard enduro stuff... no failures.
    the phones really don't care, but it's a really good idea to use a flexible mount, so when (not if!) you hit something solid they won't get smashed between said solid thing and your bike/body. flexible mounts are awesome.
  7. RJAMT

Oddometer:
    Not sure what your point is. I was not trying to say don't use a phone because it will get destroyed. My own has been dunked in a few creeks and spent many hours on the handlebar getting rained on. In fact I recently got a Samsung tablet and mounted it on my bike along with a Wunderlinq. Running split screen with both the bike data and the map is pretty sweet!

Neither are waterproof and neither will be under warranty if they do take water damage which is possible whether either of us have suffered it yet or not. I understand I'm taking a risk and decided that it's worth it to me. Informed decisions are usually the best ones. :deal
    ohgood likes this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Everyone is going to give you a recommendation.

Here's mine.
    KyoceraDuraforce loaded with the GPS app of your choice and off line maps.

Here's why.
    I was looking for a GPS to replace my Nuvi. I need a Zumo but the prices were ridiculous and then I stumbled on the Duraforce thread. Good run time CHECK,. ruggedized CHECK, water proof CHECK, underwater mode for pics and footage when snorkelling BONUS, gyro stabilized 1080p action cam BONUS, Bluetooth CHECK. Glove mode CHECK, 13 megapixel camera BONUS.

Mine are loaded with Magic Earth, OSMAnd+ and Locus Pro. Nice to have "Daphne" calling out directions right into my helmet. I have two Duraforces both set up the same. One to talk and one to navigate woth. Each is a back up for the other so if I loose one I'm still in business. Best part is the pair cost less than half of a Zumo.

If you need something right now you could snag a used Nuvi on Craigslist or eBay for cheap just to get you going again. That'll buy you time to do more research on what you might want for the long haul.
  9. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    As above but with a Ulefone Armor.
  10. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    For what it’s worth, Garmin’s warranty also doesn’t cover liquid damage.

I’ve personally never had a phone damaged by water and that includes having it attached to the handlebars riding through monsoon rain. They’re pretty good. Cnet tested the latest iPhones by dropping them to the bottom of the ocean (far deeper than IP68) that didn’t kill it. My Apple watch isn’t covered for liquid damage under warranty but the care instructions recommend regularly cleaning it under running water and it has fitness features that require wearing the watch while swimming. Clearly these things are designed to be used in water, even if the warranty doesn’t cover it. The warranty doesn’t cover drops either, but they are designed to survive drops as much as possible.

Put any electronic device behind the windshield to protect it from driving rain and it should be fine.

The real killer with using a phone on a bike is optical image stabilisation. Those systems do not like vibration at all... which is why I now use an old smartphone as a GPS on the bike and only use my current phone in the SUV. If my old phone stops working due to water damage I don’t really care, but as I said it’s never happened to me.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    sorry about that !

just giving some experiences about reliability, which was not at all what your point was. my bad :-)

i guess i should have said "if you're using an out of warrantee , older device, it won't matter anyway"... I'll assume now you were referring to newer/pricier devices that might still have warrantees from the manufacturer.

:-)
    Failo and RJAMT like this.
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. I'll be digging through it all again maybe during the holiday break. Cheers
  13. RJAMT

Oddometer:
    I use my "real phone" and it hasn't had a problem yet as well as a Garmin/tablet.

Now understand my only bike is a big German panzer so I tip-toe through the woods rather than blast like the little bikes......but I do get there!
  14. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip this May/June.

I'm extremely tech impaired

Not all Garmins will allow you to build and upload a route? Is this correct?

I ask because I have a Nuvi 65LM that I bought for my car. I was going to buy a waterproof Ram Aqua case for it but if I cant load maps into it there's no sense buying a case.

I bought a TomTom Rider a few years ago. I cant use it. When I finally figured out how to upload a map it would freak out if I made a diversion. It couldn't handle it. Instead of just plotting a course to intersect the loaded route it would keep telling me to go back to the point where I left the planned course. I ended up making notes and putting them in the clear cover of my tank bag.

I'm liking the idea of a used Kyocera.
  15. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While you are chasing down a GPS that will work for you, do yourself a favor and at least try a couple free nav apps on your phone. I had a Montana that I tried to get to work for months. I also am extremely tech impaired and I wasn't able to do anything with it, really couldn't do anything more than turn it on, I never even saw a map on the thing. In the meantime someone told me to try a phone app. I tried Gaia on my iPhone and absolutely loved it. I sold the garmin two years ago and haven't looked back. Gaia on the phone is simple to use and has worked perfectly for me. There are many other nav apps out there for both Apple and Droid. The good news is you can try them all for free or very cheap on the device that is already in your pocket. In the meantime, if you decide on a particular Garmin you'll have at least acquired a back up in the phone. Here's another tip- when you are trying to figure out how to use whatever you decide on- gps or phone- learn to use it on foot or as a passenger in a car. DON"T try to learn it while riding your bike or sitting at the kitchen table. When I was figuring out Gaia I did it mostly walking my dog in the woods. Then I did more practice in the car when my wife was driving. Trying to learn something like that while riding the bike is almost impossible. It is just as useless to try to learn it sitting in your house, you have to be out moving but able to focus safely on the process- not the road. Good luck.
    ohgood and Vinz Klortho like this.
  16. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look into the Garmin 78. Waterproof. Inexpensive. Hardwires to your bike. Dual sporters in Southern California use this unit to ride organized District 37 Dual Sport rides. It's the alternative to the more expensive Montana GPS. A ram mount can be found for it on gpscity.com.
    250senuf likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check post 4 in this thread. You can build and load tracks (not routes) to any Nuvi. While the Nuvi is not the best GPS out there, I think it is a nice way to get your feet wet with using a GPS for ADV type riding.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/so-what-are-the-best-low-buck-gpss.1415399/#post-38742349
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    garmin seventy eight ? holy crap that's old, and REQUIRES plugging into a computer to transfer tracks/waypoints/maps to it ? REQUIRES garmin softare on that computer to do anything ?

whoooaaaa nelly !

soooo, carry a laptop, usb cords, charging cords, and fumble through basecamp/mapsource/mapinstall/mapmanager to do stuff ?

why would someone want to do that ? more importantly, why would anyone suggest it as an 'easy' solution to a newbie ?

yuck !
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    And ohgood shits in yet another thread!!
    WAY wrong! The 78 works fine with File Explorer, no extra software. ohgood seems to be thinking (if capable of thinking) of the limitations of the older 60/76 series.
    ohgood likes this.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:

hi there ! :-)