So what are the options when stuck on the way to Buena Vista

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by 6.5x47L, Aug 29, 2019.

1. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike is down, pulled hammy on exit... Any recovery services or people on area to assist?
  2. Krang

Krang Rides with hippies

Oddometer:
    Where are you?
    sieg and AbeWhat like this.
  3. teamextreme

teamextreme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kind of cryptic message for anybody to be able to provide assistance.
    sieg and swimmer like this.
  4. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    n 38.340698
    W 106.709596
  5. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    OK, I plugged your lat/long into Google Maps and it looks like you're east of Gunnison County Rd 14PP (Doyleville cutoff). I assume you're on the BDR going south to north?

What kind of bike, and how bad is it broken? Are you injured? Are you accessible by a 4wd vehicle?

Hopefully a Gunnison inmate will see this and head your way.
    AbeWhat likes this.
  6. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good. Bikers came along
  7. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good. Bikers came along
  8. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading to Buena Vista...have learned lesson., No more solo travel off road
    Dances With Roads and redrock88 like this.
  9. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Now that you're safe, think about how you could have composed your initial post differently or avoided getting into that situation in the first place. In addition to your post, did you call anyone to let them know about your situation? What actually happened? Why didn't you include any helpful information in your post?

The network on this forum will go to great lengths to help people who are in trouble but they have to have good information. There are past incidents of flatlanders from your home area in Texas who have gotten in over their heads while alone and had a lot of people involved in heading out to the boonies to save their bacon and the situation went to hell in a hand basket.

Thank God you were not injured or in a worse situation because no one would have known how to help you based on what you posted. Hopefully this can be a learning experience for you and others who read this thread.
    Davidprej, teamextreme, y4m4 and 17 others like this.
  10. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    Just saw this. I may have been able to help depending on what he needed. Anyway, glad he's OK. I guess he is.
  11. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:

I certainly hope a lot of people can learn from this account and it was very minor. Not the best of cell service, but it took a while to post, so I kept it short as the longer post was not working due to bandwidth. That and being I was not serioulsy injured, I certainly did not want to alarm anyone, just what I could expect from assistance. I do appreciate the advice and willingness to help of the forum members and have found it invaluable.

I of course called /texted/inreach spousal unit and parents... The long and short is I just got through climbing a descending a tough section (for me)of two track with ruts, rocks, and scree. My guess is I grabbed too much front brake and the bike fell to the left, and exited right catching my left leg just long enough to give the hamstring a good tug. Rest of body was good to armor. I then tried to lift bike, but my leg was too tweaked be of assistance.

As for flatlander (Texas) comments, I can't tell you how many times I laugh at my fellow Texans in the backcountry. So fair assumption, although growing up in AK, I have spent a ton of times in the backcountry and still MTB and hike through NM and CO (2 14'ers last year and Monarch Epic on MTB). Where I failed is realizing the difference in taking a big bike through tough technical terrain.

The bikers the helped, so much appreciation, and after seeing I came down, they turned around :)

Lessons Learned-
    1. Never travel alone, I might institute this for MTB and hiking from now on
    2. Just because you can lift your bike, on the driveway, doesnt' mean you can in real life situations
    3. If a trail/section looks sketchy at the beginning, turn around
    4. Never travel alone
    5. As you get older, do not underestimate your rest level and fitness at altitude. I had just come off 2 weeks of business travel, a somewhat demanding antelope hunt, then straight to the last section of the NMBDR.
    6. AGATT
    7. Do not always assume by reviews of trails/sections may not be accurate for your riding skill, big bikes just be different.
    8. Hamstring will heal before ego. :)
    9. Less gear is more
    10. Garmin InReach is worth every penny.

Thanks-
    Members of this forum
    Saguache County Sheriff's office- Recommended Recovery Service
    Triple Cross Towing, more than responsive and would call them again in the same situation. They expect a busy weekend :)
  12. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    Gifford and crew at Triple Cross Towing are great on Backcountry recoveries. Glad you found them, and glad you are OK.
    6.5x47L likes this.
  13. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    But, did you die? :lol3

This may be an unpopular opinion, but "never travel alone" is just unrealistic. Certainly, you need to be more cautious, and be willing to turn around when faced with a questionable challenge, but staying at home on the couch simply isn't an option for many of us.
  14. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was definitely speaking to technical double/single track on the big bike. :D Hell I am going through solo diver for Scuba:D
    _CJ likes this.
  15. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

I actually enjoy the added stress and focus required to not fuck up when you are way out there by yourself. I also enjoy having help when I do fuck up. I ride solo maybe 30% of the time, if I didn't have good partners I'd ride solo 100% of the time. both scenarios have their perks for sure. The #1 rule for me when riding by myself is to not get hurt, followed by not getting lost. If you can avoid both those then all thats left to worry about is bike failure which doesn't seem to happen too often with all these high quality dirt bikes available these days.
  16. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    I find myself getting more nervous when I'm out in the backcountry, way out of cell service, and on the bike alone these days. But then I'm getting older, I'm not that great a rider, an I'm apparently becoming a big chicken. I never used to even think about it.
    FatChance likes this.
  17. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    It's fun, until it's not. I recently got myself into a very bad spot (out of state, remote single-track nobody has ridden this year, or maybe in several years), took about 4 hours to get myself out of it, but I didn't die, so I guess that makes it a good adventure. :lol3 The biggest lesson I learned was to never ride that sort of stuff without at least some sort of pruning saw. Would have made all the difference. I might be going back there with a chainsaw though, because it was some of the sweetest single-track I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

18. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I trail ride by myself fairly often, but...

1. I definitely scale back my pace and take a super conservative approach

2. Only ride trails where there is an excellent chance of another bike or quad finding me in a reasonable amount of time. True desolate backcountry on a Tuesday morning, no way!
    6.5x47L likes this.
  19. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

so how exactly did you get yourself into a bad spot? My worst solo epic was staying the night on the trail because I got lost, ran out of fuel and daylight all within about about a 2 hour span. I was just going for a quick afternoon spin after arriving to a new to me destination so I didn't top off my fuel (not sure it would of made a huge difference because its hard to ride in the dark with no lights.) Other close calls include having my master link come off my chain but I was about a mile from camp when that happened and I had an extra at my truck. had it happened earlier in the day I'd still be walking, I was WAY out there and no one else was going to be coming by for a looooong time. I carry extras with me now and inspect the link on my bike often. I'm usually pretty good about having a lighter, a headlamp, warm enough close to get through a night if I can't build a fire, and a little bit of extra food. I'd be ok for a couple days anyway, unless I bled out or something. I'll also swallow my pride and push/walk thru any obstacle that has the potential to throw me off the bike in a bad spot.
    redrock88, dirtydoug and _CJ like this.
  20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Also, one of my biggest epics was when riding with two other guys... The Kane Creek Massacre. That resulted in a 5 mile walk in the dark, some choice cuss words thrown at me, a near fist fight, and one guy losing his mind! but heh we lived to ride another day!

The funny thing about this one is that had I been solo I simply would of turned around before the first "way too deep" water crossing but one of the guys didnt have it in him to go back up some of the tech sections we had come down so we had to keep trying to push thru... and we did finally get the bikes out.. about a week later.