So what's all this buzz about Death Valley, anyway?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by breeno, Apr 1, 2018.

1. ExploringAZ

ExploringAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At least the pics aren't douchy.
  2. 86_Aidan

86_Aidan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol at hotsprings and chill.....

Chillis, ExploringAZ and breeno like this.
  3. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    Hantavirus is no joke. Contracting it is rare and according to one source, 36% of cases are fatal. I believe it is contracted respitorily in proximity to infected rodent droppings. Lots of rodent droppings in some DV cabins.
    dixda and breeno like this.
  4. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, it's no joke, my cousin died of the hantavirus. He was a mechanic and when cleaning out his shop he apparently got into some infected mouse turds. It happened really fast - he got flu-like symptoms and was dead before they figured out what it was. He was the first confirmed death case in Colorado. :cry It was a big thing a few years ago but I haven't heard much about it recently.
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    nice RR... appreciate the added commentary/pics...

and thanks for the recce since I'm headed out there this weekend...
    flying.moto and breeno like this.
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent report and pics! Brings back a bunch of great memories from my one trip to DV a couple years back. I need to get back down there and explore more, and share the experience with my family.

Awesome writing and the pics are perfect, looking forward to the next installment. Thanks for taking us along :thumb:thumb
    breeno likes this.
  7. breeno

breeno Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just caught your RR and really enjoyed it -- I think next time I'll go a bit deeper and check out some of your tracks. Great stuff!
    I'm for sure hooked on DV ... no place quite like it
  8. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report with spectacular photos and narrative. Thanks for taking us all along.

Eric
    breeno likes this.
  9. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Myself and a couple of buddies will be ridin' to DV this month.Leaving around the 19 th or 20 th.Planning on 4 days to get there.
    On my way to S.A. in 2014 I rode through Death Valley and knew I would return some day to ride the backroads and passes.I hope it stops snowing here before it is time to ride.Looking forward to being there soon....Thanks for doing your scribe and pics.
    breeno likes this.
  10. ADVATT

ADVATT f/k/a "Heavy Cy"

Oddometer:
    Illnoise.Flat as a pool table.Crooked as a snake.
    Breeno, epic post. I'm a frustrated Chicagoan (motorbike h.e.l.l.!) who cherishes a couple trips to DV, one in October on a BMW 650 Sertao (up Lippincott etc & Goler etc) and in March on a Weestrom (Titus etc), so thanks for the refresher. BTW you coulda gone to Racetrack and camped near the top of Lippincott.

Great narrative... about the quality of the people going up the more remote you are. Also catching up on sleep in a rainy tent etc. You've got the right idea traveling solo. I really prefer to travel in threes (me, myself, and I) though I did get lost solo for a few hours out near Barker Ranch late in the day (just me and the local burros). Maybe shoulda had someone else with me but I had everything nece for bivouacking.

AWESOME REPORT. CARRY ON!
    dixda likes this.
  11. Black Label Mark

Black Label Mark Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good story and pics...
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I can never get enough desert. Thanks. :thumb
  13. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice,I enjoyed DV last Spring too.Did a RR on DRRiders with lots of pictures.Awesome place to go to get away from the snow.
  14. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dream of taking an old XL600R there to see Racetrack. My skills are few as I picked the JOY up later in life. If I ever do the nOObs run I would get #1 turtle...And thank you for your excellent report.
  15. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Near the end of this road I met some guys hanging out at what looked like a pretty great spot to camp (maybe they weren't gonna camp here?) We chatted a bit while I re-attached my tent and dry bag which kept coming loose.

Dude: "What are you on there -- are you riding a street bike out here?"
    Me: "well, yeah, sorta? it goes both ways" :rofl

I found it hard explaining a GS to non-bike folks when asked on this trip. WTF is it, really? :loco

I didn't snap a pic -- so just picture two middle-aged dudes on lawn chairs in front of a beat up Tundra and you've got it...[/QUOTE]
    Did one of them have squinty eyes and a banjo?

Chris