So who's got an 'Arai head'?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by GSnovice, Sep 14, 2020.

1. GSnovice

GSnovice Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer:
    It's long been said that you've either got a Shoei head or an Arai head. I've currently got an Arai XD4 helmet and from the first wear, it's been really comfy, no pressure points, no headaches, it just fits. I'll need to replace it soon and I'm chasing something with an internal sun visor, cause I'm sick of farting around with sunnies, which rules out a new XD4. Anybody else with an 'Arai head' who has found an adventure style helmet with internal visor that fits as well as an Arai?
    BergDonk likes this.
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Shark carbon is a nice fit, although a bit close in the chin only because I’m so used to MX helmets. Nice and light but not the most “airy” of lids.

The helmet I use the most on all bikes is the Bell MX-9 ADV, no internal shade but you can get tinted visors. I have to wear glasses, can relate to the glasses in a helmet thing but have zero choice. It is far and away THE most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had.

Yeah I’ve got an Arai head, I payed a lot for a Shoei back in the day, had to stop wearing it, still got it as it was a fair chunk of my pay at the time.
    GSnovice likes this.
  3. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    I had an Arai XD4 for 9 years, XL size and extremely comfortable. Just purchased a Schuberth E1 for the internal visor and the flip up front. Had two 4 hour rides with it now and a spot on fit. comes down the forehead further than the Arai but quieter and very good quality. As the screen is rounder there is less distortion than the Arai or other adventure style helmets. Also got the SC10U internal fitting intercom which is a lot nicer than a big lump off the side of the helmet of the multi fit units.

Bought from Andy Strapz, great prompt service and communication. Arrived within the week.
    GSnovice likes this.
  4. GSnovice

GSnovice Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer:
    That sounds like what I'm after, @CJL00. My Arai is also XL - what size Schuberth did you get?
  5. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had/got all the big brands. My current head really likes the Aldi with built-in sunnies.
    billyt53 likes this.
  6. CJL00

Oddometer:
    The XL again. I looked at the Touratech version, also made by Schuberth but with some differences although what I am not sure. At the time I bought from Andy I had sent Touratech four emails over three months and never got a response. Called once but they were busy and were going to call back, but never did. A week after ordering Touratech finally called back but stated they didn't have any stock but was expecting some "soon". I had told them I purchased elsewhere. Pretty happy with the purchase so far.
    GSnovice likes this.
  7. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    GSnovice likes this.
  8. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got an Arai Head, but I've switched to RXT because I'm a cheap ass. I think it was $140 vs about $800 for the last Arai I purchased? Both purchased from my favourite local bike shop.

It's perfectly comfortable and plenty safe enough for the speeds I ride. *shrug*

My only complaint is it's white. My red Arai made the bike go faster.
  10. CJL00

Oddometer:
    I don't believe in spending a lot of money on helmets...if you come off and hit it on the ground, it's fucked and you may as well toss it

I don't really know what to say to that post Big Willy. If I have to ask isn't your head worth protecting, hence you wear a helmet, maybe it isn't? Or is that just mean?
    Kiwirich likes this.
  11. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    Well now, that's an interesting question GS novice.
    I always had a Shoei head but for some reason long forgotten I tried an XD4 and loved it! "it just fits" like you said. I've had it for long enough to have loved it to death and am planning to got get a new one when the covid house arrest ends.
    For most of the life of the XD4, I've used a Shoei GT Air for road trips. It has the internal sun visor, which I use a lot. But for some strange reason I've never extended the thoughts to whether I should have an adventure helmet with an internal visor!
    Now ya got me thinking!
    I might have to sneak down to Andy Strapz and take a peek at the Schuberth - when we get paroled from house arrest......

The helmet issue which I have been thinking on is the road helmet. The Shoei GT Air is a nice helmet and has all the right features but it just doesn't fit my noggin as nicely as the XD4. It's not bad, but when I swap from one to the other the XD4 it is proper and spot-on but the Shoei is only "meh, OK".

Sorry I can't contribute to your answers, but I'll follow the responses!

Cheers
    Brian
    GSnovice likes this.
  13. Toejamii

Toejamii Still Learning

Oddometer:
    I have had an Arai xd4 fir many years and just purchased an Airroh very light has sun visor but no ear holes in foam actually quieter because of that bit tighter on my fat cheeks but I like the helmet imho
    GSnovice likes this.
  14. billyt53

billyt53 Phast Phossil

Oddometer:
    Same here...I'm very happy with the Aldi with built in sun visor and at around $80 .....value. I get a new one every time the Aldi motorcycle gear goes on sale.
    Ron50 likes this.
  15. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
  16. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    We were just discussing this the other day.

Warning: Incoming rant

After using Shoei happily for a while a mate offered me a great deal on an Arai a few years ago. It's been all over the place with me and I hate the thing.

It gives me a pressure point on the top of my head after about three hours of wearing it, the vents don't work and the top ones have broken off twice on branches etc ( I no longer replace them so there are gaping holes in the top), the pinlock is crap and doesn't seal properly (never had fogging issues on my Shoeis) and the internal visor is a joke, I have to pull it down with my fingers or it sits half way in my vision and the visor wont sit just cracked open ( I like a little bit of visor open while I ride and the Shoeis sit nice with just a crack). The visor screws are cheap plastic and have cross threaded multiple times.

But the clincher came when I opened the helmet up to install a Sena. On the Shoeis when I pulled everything apart they are all neat, the velcro lines up with the little indents in the shell and it looks like it is made with care. The Arai velcro was half coming off and not in the slots and just made me think whoever made my helmet couldn't give a shit.

It's also noisy.

Shoeis to me also smell better. Lol, I know, I have problems.

I've been waiting for it to wear out to justify dumping it and buying a new Shoei Hornet, to me the money for something that is so personal (it is literally right in your face), protects your head and lasts years is worth spending.

Mates who prefer the Arai's have none of these complaints which makes me laugh at myself everytime I put it on and bitch and whinge about this or that.

Reality is you can't go far wrong with most helmets these days and I think the most important thing is that it fits your head shape and is well made.
    fnatic and Kiwirich like this.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I had an Arai XD1 and currently have an XD3.
    Neither helmet visor seals against rain. A right pain.
    They are heavy.
    Expensive - very.

My current lid is an LS2 adventure helmet with a sun visor, $225 new and very lightweight, it is certainly noisy but earplugs fix that, otherwise I am very happy with it at less than a third of the cost of a new Arai. LOTS of fresh air around your face too, best ever in that regard, but if it rains you can't close the vents, just something to be aware of. My solution - don't ride in the rain.:rofl
  18. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"I wish to register a complaint... I am experiencing - what you may refer to as - helmet fitment issues..." :bluduh
  19. urbanoyster

urbanoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For road bikes I have always used Arai helmets as they suit my head shape. I tried Shoei, but they just don't fit my head.
    I previously wore Arai XD1 helmet when riding my adventure bike. It was a perfect fit and very comfortable.

But after 10 years of use I thought it time to buy a new ADV helmet. There were a few new brands on the market so I had a look at what was on offer. I tried on the then newly released Klim helmet, and it was a pressure point nightmare. In the same shop was the Nexx brand. Their ADV helmet was also called the XD1 (model name now changed) This XD1 was a perfect fit, just as good as an Arai, was $300 cheaper, and made in Europe, so I bought it.

The Nexx XD1 ADV helmet has good ventilation, came with a pinlock visor system, and has a mounting point for a camera (not that I'll use it). I've had the helmet for more than 3 years now and my only negative comments are-
    After wearing the helmet for an hour, and while I can't feel any pressure point, a join in the helmet liner padding leave a mark on my upper fore head.
    The chin strap is not rigid enough, so sometimes I find it a bit twisted up when doing up the strap
    I find the internal pull down sun visor a bit useless, so prefer to wear sun glasses.
    Fearless Whetu and GSnovice like this.
  20. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    One of my friends has the NEXX and also speaks highly of it.