So...You get a bill for a toll gate...someplace you've never BEEN...?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by CaseyJones, May 26, 2020.

1. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    When someone officious, demands you pay up $5 for nothing, do you comply without question?
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    No. As suggested, I make a simple phone call. That usually takes care of things. If not, I let it go. You sure are causing yourself a lot of grief over this thing without having taken any simple steps to try to remedy it. What the heck do you do when something big is in your craw? This kind of fretting isn't good for your health.
  3. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a late notice for a (legitimate) toll for the 520 bridge in Seattle. Thing is, I never got the original bill, just a late notice with a $50 fee tacked on. No disputing it. Oh, they also charge people from out of town an extra $2 because fuck you (extra fee for not having their electronic system).

It's also not the state, it's a private company, and they're crooked as shit, legitimized and backed up by state law.
  4. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Because, in my past experience, phone calls are generally a waste of time. And of course, I get this notice about close of business yesterday - no one to call.

I was looking for someone with some experience dealing with such an issue. I guess you have had that experience.

Now, so have I. I called down, just now...20 minute wait to get through, but once I did, the clerk was able to look up the photo, confirm it's not my bike, and void out the collection notice. Yes, just as you said. I'm shocked.

It's a done deal. But then, this whole idea of collecting tolls from license plate scans is a new one to me....having lived in the sticks for the last 12 years.

For the moment, it's closed and finis.

#OkayBoomer
    Jur1, dharmadan, davidji and 3 others like this.
  5. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    I don't know any of Washington except Spokane.

Because, of course, I have not been to Seattle in 30 years, and never spent much time there.

My point exactly. How would I know where that road goes, what that tollgate is, when I've never been there in the first place?
  6. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    So is @Flyin' Monkeys deleting all his posts or is a mod pruning them?

I guess that would be East of Port Angeles though!
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  7. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This may be different than the speed and intersection cameras around the country. Oh! Glad your phone call produced positive results! Back to private contractors managing camera traffic monitoring/ enforcement schemes: most of them are just empty threats conning you to pay up. Tennessee now has a law these private companies MUST post on their phony "citations" that non-payment will not affect your license, your driving record or be subject to arrest. There must be due process (court faced with accuser) to fine you for infractions. Pictures by robots don't cut it. It may be different in Washington state. That's why I do not live there any more.
    RMZMZM and dharmadan like this.
  8. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    It was a few years ago that I got boned, so it may have changed, but at the time there was nothing you could do. Literally the only option was to pay a lawyer to sue them, and even that was somewhat protected under law. It was the closest thing to invincible I have ever seen.

I'll go out of my way to avoid that bridge until the sun explodes, but if I ever somehow find myself on it, I'll have my hand in front of my license plate while flipping off the cameras as I go over.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not getting the point, McDonald's actually gives you Coke right. Or do they send bills to people that weren't in the store to buy one? Payroll clerks shorting you....or were they sending you a bill saying they over paid you?
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  10. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Los Angeles, they used to have a ton of red light cameras. The cameras were managed by a contract company, and the tickets issued were from a third party. I got one once, and it looked really scary. Even had pictures of the front and back of my car, and my face through the windshield confirming it was me. I paid it, but later talked to a friend at Beverly Hills PD, who said that technically, it was not a legally issued ticket, because it wasn't issued by a sworn officer. He said that if I chose to ignore it, I'd get a bunch of threatening letters, but in the end, there was nothing that they could really do about it.

Eventually, so many of these tickets were contested and fought that the time and expense that they brought on L.A. cost more than the revenue from the tickets themselves, and the cameras were removed a few years ago.

Regarding the toll road violation notices, I kept getting them for an Orange County toll road I never used. After a few phone calls, it got resolved. Since it was a recurring problem, they sent me a certified letter confirming that "It wasn't me" in case the problem ever came back later.
    dharmadan likes this.
  11. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    less of a waste of time than this thread was. I’m going to file a grievance for a pro rated portion of my ADV annual fee to be refunded.
    Florida Lime, Flyin' Monkeys and sieg like this.
  12. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the mailings here had to total more than the initial fine but they eventually gave up and quit sending them. The important thing here is the sheriff or councilman that pushed this scheme is getting a percentage of the take.
  13. Mooochy

Mooochy Still Lost

Oddometer:
    I have no opinion the toll charge. Just want to know how you like the 300 ?
  14. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A group of us went out to ride dunes for a few days once. My buddy was in between tow vehicles at the time, so I pulled his camper with my truck. My electronic toll pass didn't register so they got a picture of his tagged camper and sent the bill and pic to him. I laughed and acted like I wasn't going to pay it but I ended up just having them put the toll on my account.
  15. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never thought about this. Better cover the tags in the back of my truck when I head to NC.
  16. StormShearon

StormShearon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be worth a call, but the Washington system is actually operated by some third party in Texas I believe. There have been numerous mistakes made by the system. One of the weirder screamers is that the system cannot deferentiate between cars and motorcyles as the state will not allow the vehicle type to be accessed by the third party sending the bills, so cars and motorcycles pay the same toll rate. Better screamer is that most of the money collected goes to the third party to administer the system, so the state actually loses money on the roads they toll and has to supplement from other budget sources.
    davidji and CROSSBOLT like this.
  17. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it were me, I would send them a check for $5.01. Then request a refund for the over payment. Just to screw with them. It could give a little entertainment.
    tlub likes this.
  18. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    It may or may not be a Texas (or other) company, but I know the clerk I talked to was in Seattle. A pleasant young man; he mentioned he'd heard of my town. I told him it's a great place; and he came back with, "Yeah, gotta be better than here in Seattle." Which I can believe, especially if you're on the bottom of the economic totem pole there.

He had the data to my plate and registration; and he had the photo. I'm guessing the plate photo'd wasn't a motorcycle, because he knew right away it wasn't my Kawasaki. Didn't have to question color, or take it to a supervisor or look at pictures of models of bikes. Just, half a second...no, that's not your bike.

I'm still annoyed at the imperiousness of this, just mail out a demand for money...but at least, after-the-fact Customer Service was up to par.
    CROSSBOLT and dharmadan like this.
  19. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    Electronic Transaction Consultants Corporation runs the tolling in Washington. Not the easiest information to find, apparently WDOT wants to cover up the corruption as much as they can. It is headquartered in Texas.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  20. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Did they send you a copy of the photo? I had that happen once with a toll road here in Colorado. It read the O on the license plate as a 0 and they sent me the ticket by mistake. Wasn't even the right kind of car (I drove A Subaru wagon that had the plate in the center of the rear liftgate but the photo was clearly of a sedan and the plate was on the bumper.)

Called them after work (the ticket said their call in line was open until 7:00 PM) and explained that their computer had seen a O as an 0. They confirmed that it was in fact an O and said it would be taken care of. Never heard about it again.

I'll bet this happens all the time. O looks like 0. 8 looks like 3 or vice versa. 5 looks like S. If you could get a copy of the photo (don't know why they wouldn't include it) you could likely verify this.

EDITED TO ADD: I see it all worked out. For all the bitching people do, this is usually how it ends up. You are far from the only person this has ever happened to, so they have a fairly straightforward process to deal with it.

Now, do you suppose that there are some people who receive an erroneous $5 ticket and just pay it without bothering to check to see if it is legitimate because it's not worth their time to research a $5 charge?

And do you suppose that the amount of money the private company reaps from this is not trivial?

I'd say the answer to both questions is "yes."

But in that sense, it's similar to a company selling $10,000 worth of "gift cards" and knowing that $500 or more will likely end up in the bottom of a drawer and never get used, so that's $500+ of pure profit for them.
    der_saeufer likes this.