So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
  2. Gravelroadster

Gravelroadster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys and Girls
    My first post!! A lurker out of the shadow.......

Lentil...I have a full rigid Trek FX1 that I use for fitness and fun on gravel roads. It is the best cheap bike I have ever used but the stock rubber was "exciting" (read scary) on gravel corners. After some dicussion I changed to Maxxis Renegade tyres. Great gravel grip, quiet and fast rolling on hard surface (no real single track experience) BUT seriously expensive. Seriously, I have put tyres on my car for less......I have tried to erase it from my memory but $90 ea seems to make me break into a sweat.......
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  3. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Easy Lysterfield Loop this Sunday for Melbournians 11.am
  4. Gravelroadster

Oddometer:
    How about that...my first post....and it is wrong!! The tyres are Maxxis Rambler not renegade.
    Just goes to show that you shouldn’t do things from memory when you dont have one.....

Apologies to all those flogging the Maxxis brochure for a ficticious tyre.....
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:

The maxis renegade I came across was for an ATV ... I thought that is a fat tyre for a bicycle .. and $90 is quite cheap for that amount of rubber.
  6. stevegt738

stevegt738 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    hoorang likes this.
  9. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
  10. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Gravelroadster

Oddometer:
    Ask any classic ducati rider.......

Oh sh@#t, looks like I am going to hell.......
  12. Gravelroadster

Oddometer:
    It is great to see money invested into bike trails (mountain or other) but I am getting tired of Blue Derby copies (Medina for one). Blue Derby is one of the great success stories for both bikes and a local community looking for a future but is also a story of right solution in the right place. Great scenery, a mountain and a group of trail makers with not much to do.....
    For other communities the model may not fit as well. $30m in Blue D doesnt mean the same for Omeo. Maybe some dedicated Adv motorcycle routes and skills park through the forests would pay better....?
    There are MTB trails all over the world but there is something special about Blue...enough to make some say it is the best in the world. Will Omeo have the same?
    As I say, any investment in bike trails is great but comparing it to Blue D may leave some wondering wether it was worth it....or maybe cynics like me will look silly.
    One day I will be able to ride black diamond and I will find out......
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The other side of hotham they have the success story for rail trail networks , up at dinner plains they've been putting in mtb trails, so you can understand omeo trying to cash in
  14. Gravelroadster

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! Hotham etc is another great example of right solution in the right place. Unused chair lifts, unused groomed slopes, unused accomodation, little used back tracks. One day when I feel like I need a stay in hospital for a while I must get up there...too gnarly for my skills but one day.....
  15. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just returned from my training loop on the giant ebike and have decided having the boost at maximun through single line is frkn hard work !!! I'm not sure if it's because I kept creeping over the boost speed limit or if it's just the reality of punting this lump of lard through whooped out loamy single line...or both....but I'm going back to eco and riding slower in future!!!

Yesterday I did some time at blores hill with the kids and left the motor off - THAT was easier that hitting single line on full boost!

BTW , the vic mtb championships are coming to blores hill next weekend - it's not usually my thing to watch other people have fun but it might be interesting to watch the good riders tackle the trig?
  16. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good news for sure! Our local member (a Nat also) is a keen MTB rider and she is very enthusiastic about putting some $$$ into the local region to develop some trail networks. We have incredible terrain here; yet our closest purpose built trails are 2 hours drive away at Harcourt . . . it would be fantastic to get something happening in the Grampians region.
  17. TPER Chief

TPER Chief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I heard the yarra ranges has also been granted 6 million in funding for mtb trails in and around warburton after 10 years of talks
    bigborett likes this.
  18. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    yep MTBA announced that for Warburton stage 1 commencing which is great news! an additional 2 million to follow SWEET!
  19. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    should be good Doc, the good riders make it look easy........ that Trig track is a tricky little bit of riding
  20. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    A quick ride with BluetongueJak yesterday. Little lap around Lysterfield.
    Visited some friends.

20180718_155050.JPG
    ToriMish, Dukehunt and jardine like this.