So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    I have narrowed my choice down to a
    New avanti torrent cs2 for 2499 ( like the bike and price but guys in shop put me off as they left me standing without service for 30mins and seemed dis interested .

Or a 2014 giant trance 1 with all new gear , tyres, cassettes, derailleur , suspension serviced with all reciepts over 1k just spent $1700.
    Similiar spec / weight bikes altough giant is aluminium. .

I am leaning toward giant to save a few $
  2. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    Reeksy likes this.
  3. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Ha, the Wellgos and Shimanos are about the least blinging gear you can get Doc! (Short of plastic flats and Dunlop volleys)

For the NOOB, No need for an Aero lid either (for MTBing), but a MTB helmet that comes down the back of your head more than a basic plastic bucket helmet is Highly recommended for off-road riding.
    Plenty of manufacturers have them now at reasonable prices, but all fit differently - try on before you buy!

Like motorcycle helmets, the range, prices and claimed features are huge - a top-end POC with MIPS technology is comparable to a top-end Shoei

The seat/tail bag and its contents are important as anything IMO when on the trails - just like on the ADV bike, you need to be able to fix a puncture, tighten/straighten shit up, fix/join broken chain (it happens), etc., otherwise be prepared to walk - riding is much easier!

Edit. Carry a spare derailleur hanger too!
    LivingdeadCamo, AUSSIEADV and Cruz like this.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Used to buy most of my gear from Chain Reaction, they can save you a lot of money on quality parts and clothing. I still use all the clothing layers for motor bikes now as it is of higher quality, less bulky and performs better than most of the gear they sell in m/c shops. Delivery from Chain Reaction was faster than getting gear from Melbourne and Sydney.
    They have huge specials on pedals, shoes and group sets right now.
    DeLewis likes this.
  6. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    :D

IMG_3973.JPG
    bigborett, Blakduk, breil and 4 others like this.
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Farmer Roy and Cruz like this.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    its ok, your from NSW

9. darren70

Oddometer:
    My about 1950 model trance x2

[​IMG]

Plus it's the coolest colour one made.
    I have a second set of wheels with road tyres for my super motard set up
  10. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a Furphy! :lol3

Nice bike, too!
    numbat likes this.
  11. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Nah I wasn't.

I could order pedals online but shoes and helmet will be instore.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the old water cart - if that's what it is ...
  13. darren70

Oddometer:
    Yes its a furphy from around the turn of the last century
  14. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    You'll have to Drag it down to the old haunts for a ride around all your childhood trails and see what's new in da hood ! No HQ's in the bush these days around the Lake .
  15. darren70

Oddometer:
    I have had it down glenrock a couple of times when i was riding a lot, now that was an old haunt. I used to surf at leggy as a lad.
    At the moment i need flat ground and inspiration
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  16. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
  17. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    @ Oldfatbeerman

Which road?
    If you mean the Wirraba Ridge Trail (goes to Gospers Airstrip) ... getting to it from Putty is difficult as property owners probably won't let you through. And that road if far tougher than the other road through Three Way, Hunter Main Range trail which is the one in the bushwalking link you gave. I have travelled both back in the days before it was a National Park...

In either case ring the rangers in Mudgee and see what they say ... my reading of past things suggest they don't want anyone in those areas! The Wirraba Ridge Trail in particular is probably 'regenerating' and as such 'closed'. I can do a rough GPS plot of the Wirraba Ridge Trail if you need it. Wirraba Ridge Trail is far from flat!!!! Even on motorcycles you get a rope and 10 people to hall it up a rock face. The 4WDs use winches. The army put it in with a bulldozer.. that simply put it blade down and fell down the slope (~1952 operation snowball).
    OSM has the Three Ways Huner Main Range Trail in fair detail .. with gates that I believe may be locked? If going through Three Ways the last property that you leave from Putty was the old Gibbs place .. homestead on the left just before you start to climb. And even that is not flat .. after all you are crossing the Great Dividing Range. OSM has the total distance of ~120 km. I'd say ~3 days - allow 4 for weather etc.

Let me know .. I have a vague interest. But I would be slow :gerg

Edit found some photos (and some names I know) http://www.pbase.com/creakingbones/wirraba_ridge_trip_january_1973

Edit 2 ... My thinking is Bell to Musswellbrook (both have train links that take bikes).. much longer along the lines of http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57512

Edit 3 This is old http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/WollemiNPNWpartMtnBikeRides.pdf
  18. hoorang

hoorang .

Oddometer:
    Local bike shop has a 2017 Giant Stance 2 ex demo with tubeless for $1500, is it worth considering?

I'm upgrading from a bent hardtail so anythings going to be an improvement but is the Stance a good buy for $1500 or do I keep saving for a couple months?
  19. nzdans

nzdans Learnertic

Oddometer:
    Hiya, I've checked into the 640 thread so figured I'd best say hi here too.

I have a bunch of bikes, road, XC (26ers & 29ers), a tandem - here's the ride of choice:

[​IMG]
    I have a 10km ride (99% dirt!) from my house to Stromlo, view looks a bit like the below.. Yep, being unfit I have to put the aero wheels on :jack
    Anyhoo I am happy to assist with any techy bike queries, worked in the industry (mostly as a mechanic) for 15 years in a previous life.

My riding has been a bit random of late, still weekly and picking up however 12 months ago I was racing fairly regularly.. Haven't raced the fattie yet, looking forward to that, although I did do the (68km) Canberra Big Bike Ride on it recently.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Dan.
    AUSSIEADV, Cruz and jardine like this.
  20. nzdans

nzdans Learnertic

Oddometer:
    At $2k RRP & with tubeless already setup it's a pretty good starting point. It will bit a bit of a boat anchor however the handling will be acceptable for XC duties.. Sorry, did you mention how much you weigh? If you're over 100kg and/or plan to ride it hard I'd keep saving and look to up-spec.
    hoorang likes this.