So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Yeah as I live slightly away from town, I also buy in bulk so I'll have something on the shelf. Just wish I had the H01A in bulk. Did find a set but they jest ain't that common for some reason. Bike shop guys admitted that Shimano are actually really bad at keeping items in stock in Australia.
  2. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    So, avoid the Oz distributor. Tell the shops what you are doing and they may get jack of the distributor too.
  3. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    What about after market pads.
    I replaced the original shimano pads on my tourer with softer aftermarket ones and they feel so much better.
    I can’t remember the brand off hand but I think it was something like Clarke.
    Bought from Chain Reaction or Wiggle.
  4. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Can ya get the "ICE" technology with the fins etc?
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    How hot do your fins get? If they don't get hot then you probably don't need them... Caution .. they may get hot enough to burn your skin! None of my brake pads have cooling fins .. even on the motor cycle and you don't see them on racing motorcycles either ..

See https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/saint-m820-pad-alternatives-suggestions.258228/

However .. I'd expect after market ones would follow the same kind of setup as the original .. for marketing reasons.
  6. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Yeah the last post in that link has some cred if a guy can do 6hr descents and not notice a difference.

My issue is the feel only. I just went to look at my pad supply and the H01A I thought I bought were actually H03A, so I got ripped there. The feel of the originals (H01A) is just awesome. You can notice it easily. I probably overuse my brakes on downhills due to my age and the fact I am a bit gutless though!
  7. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Pride cometh before a fall.

The other factor is mass, the more mass the more energy needed to contain speed going down the hill. More energy = more heat in the brakes. Squirt some water on the fins .. if it does not fiz then try a hand .. if they are not hot then your good to go with out fins? :hmmmmm
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, can any of you smart people tell me about scott mtb's? In particular, this one https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/d...cott-contessa-genius-720-large-only/105429966

It's ticking a lot of boxes for sprog 1's next bike - she's currently growing out of a norco optic m , and is developing a bias to riding down rather than up . That thing looks like it'll be more than enough for anything I'm going to let my 14 yo daughter ride down , yet the switchable rear end might mean I don't have to wait too long at the top of hills ( with me on the emtb) . I had been thinking of getting her a norco range , but really like the idea that she'll still be able to use one bike for xcountry style social riding. ( my preference) . It'll be mostly for recreational use - although this summer I'm hoping to spend quite a few weekends up at buller / falls / thredbo with her . I'm doing my best to discourage racing...but will probably lose that battle by next year.

I'm a bit nervous about buying a womans bike rather than mens - apparently the rear shock was valved for lighter riders but she's 6' and holds her own strength wise with the boys ( which is a polite way of saying I'm too gutless to ask but expect she weighs the same as the boys) - trouble is, the mens version is $800 more....
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    As I understand it (from my brother - a former GIANT rep) the "Contessa" range is SCOTT version of the GIANT "liv" range of female specific (geometry and component choice) bikes.

I looked at a "Contessa" for my daughter... before deciding on a Specialized FSR (regular model).

Dunno about the valving/suspension or component groupset differences between the gal's to guy's version... but 800 bucks indicates that something is cheaper/lower spec' ? :dunno:augie

FWIW the 29" SCOTT SCALE hardtail that was purchased at x-mas for "bonus son" has proven to be a good bike... with one possible notation about the "mega" cassette 1 x 12 SRAM Eagle GX rear derallieur on the rear (I see same specified on the Contessa you linked).

He is on his third rear mech... the (xtra-long) tensioner arms seem somewhat more prone to pretzling (in my mind - the SRAM is a little lighter guage/softer than the comparable Shimano bits)... than all the years I have been twisting rear derallieurs.

Just a mention (as I am off to the bike store again this afternoon - for repair bits :fpalm).
    Richarde1605 and Dr AT like this.
  10. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Troy, the male / female versions were the same original price but the bike listed was a superseded model and as a rule of thumb, female large sized old stock bikes get VERY heavily discounted .

I know what you mean about the sram running gear - even their cassettes are crazy expensive . But I figure having to do slave jobs to pay to keep her bike running is a bonus

Sprog 3 got a huge stick caught in the norcos rear mech on Sat - I was Sooooo glad he slammed the brakes on and didn't wrech it ( because technically the norco still belongs to sprog 1 , but she's up in the snow so didn't know)
  11. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Rosie rode a Scott Genius 950 a month or so back & really liked it. She has been trying out a few different bikes as she is shopping for a new one, has also tried Specialized Stumpy, Giant Trance, Trek Fuel 9.8, Norco Sight & Banshee Spitfire... So some flavour of Scott Genius 9x0 is currently the lead contender. However she is not exactly a demon on the downhills, the fact that it climbed really well was a big part of the appeal. The spec/weight/price of the Genuis range seemed to compare quite favourably with other options too.

Cheers
    Clint
    Dr AT likes this.
  12. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Good bike for that money!

i have one Scott gravel bike and i have ridden the MTBs quality they are up there with the rest of the main brands....as they are a main brand :D
    Dr AT likes this.
  13. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    So I did stupidly touch my brake pad fins this morning at the bottom of my usual downhill run. Yep, they were bloody hot. And just to reiterate how dumb I am, I checked the rears after already burning myself on the fronts. They were bloody hot too!! The fins would have to aid in heat dispersal I would think.
    Dr AT and Warin like this.
  14. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Do they boil water? You could have a cup of coffee at the bottom :*sip*
  15. Turps

Turps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I discoloured the disks on my mtb. They could sizzle water quite well.
  16. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Stay of the brakes. It's quicker.
    Paul124ac, Tomdog and Dewi like this.
  17. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    what size disk rotors are you using?
  18. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The hydraulic oil shitmano use instead of brake fluid has a positive trait, it is not hydroscopic like brake fluid, however if you do get moisture in the system, it will end up in the lowest part, the caliper.
    Water boils....

Answer, bleed your brakes, not just a shitmano funnel on top and get the bubbles out of the master but flush the crap out from the calipers.
  19. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use 180s on my trail bikes. 160/140 on my roadie, 200 on my gravity bikes. 200s on my heavy e-bike.
    Bigger disks definitely will help with less fade.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  20. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    I
    thats a beauty at a great price
    I am picking up a genius 920 tomorrow

Rode loads a bikes and this suited my needs and style the most . Its was poppy and playful , well finished and i liked the twin lock.
    The 2020 trek fuel ex was nice to but felt a like almost too planted on the front end and more a roll over bike rather then bounce of stuff and try be a hero doing manuals.

In brizzy there has being a few 19 giant trance 2 run out models for 2.2k which are great
    And 99 bike do a cube stereo 140 which was is a belter too