So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was trying to think of a witty way to tell him he was getting a bit lardy. I reckon you nailed it Woodster.
  2. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL, Was going to say I thought he lived in Scandanavia, not China. I got confused with all the chins! :)
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :brow :dunno :shog :nod

You're right Woody... but one thing's for sure... if the organisers have had pies at the finish line - instead of medals - the little bastards wouldn't have seen me for dust. :lol3

:smooch
    :lol2
  4. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    I've been doing a bit of riding in Europe also. Poland and Germany.
    My bike box at one of the terminals on the trip Perth to Berlin. Helped my confidence in seeing the bike again.
    [​IMG]
    German cycling path (here leaving Berlin).
    [​IMG]
    Had to carry this little Dockers Beanie Kid all the way to Hamburg via Poland to my daughter. She is involved in the Hamburg Dockers woman's AFL.
    [​IMG]
    Taking the Giant hybrid worked well, some sand and rough surfaces in Poland. Panniers convert into a backpack.
    [​IMG]
    Old church with timber bell tower in Poland.
    [​IMG]
    Back in Germany I visited the hill where aviation pioneer Otto Lillienthal carried out his gliding experiments - and finally met his demise. I assume there was less forest on the hill back in his day! He has been a boyhood hero of mine.
    [​IMG]
    On a ferry crossing the Wesser in Germany. Hanging out for a pie:lol3
    [​IMG]
    Hire bike for island of Langeoog, Ostfriesland Germany. Cheaper than taking my own over.
    [​IMG]
    I used a program called Komoot for navigation and found it very good, can plan with touring bike, mountainbike, hiking options. Poland was better than expected considering my son's warning about mad Polish drivers. I survived! Would like to go back there again and put together some more cross country MTB riding. Locals I met use hardtail MTB's for touring out in the country back roads for good reason. Also a Zloty goes a lot further than a Euro in Germany.
    Cheers, A.
    DeLewis, stujamur, Turps and 9 others like this.
  5. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, anyone going to this? It's on the same weekend as all terrain are running the bright ebike festival.

https://www.5zero.com.au/enter.html

53 k , 1300 m with food along the way and afterwards. I'm considering going with sprog 1+2 plus perhaps some of their friends, they'd be on mebikes
    Turps likes this.
  6. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
  7. Turps

Turps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a night shift before and after. But looks like a nice ride.
    Pretty sure I would only be good for the 38km.
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....I wonder how those metal zip ties sharpen up....:bluduh
    The single line my kids take to school has three magpie nests along it, realistically they probably shouldn't be riding it once the temp increases (snake risk) , but the risk from cars vs wildlife :dunno
  9. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Long plastic zip ties I find work well.
    For my first effort, where a bastard was putting holes in my hat, I used long zip ties and sticky taped metal foil to the ends. That kept the bastard well away from me. But the zip ties alone keep them far enough away, I can hear them snap but no hole in the hat nor blood from me.

The metal foil came from some food packet that I cut into strips. Now if we could come up with something that worked as well for snakes, roos and emus... and cars
    Dr AT likes this.
  10. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Working that weekend, also RedHill Enduro on then....but it's my only weekend not racing in 5 weeks straight. So no from me.
    Thought you might be more interested in Shannons Bright ebike event.

PS.. The Buller Ebike even will be on again, even bigger event than last year. Running over a weekend with demos etc on Sat and epic ride on Sunday, based at top of the mountain this time. Exact date to be finalised but expect February.

Attached Files:

11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, the ebike event got my initial interest then I realised I could write the weekend off as a family event if I did the 5zero thing with the kids :deal

Can you keep us in the loop with the epic? I expect I'll be spending some family time at buller before then, and possibly doing a buller weekend with some of the local ebikers , but an even bigger and better emtb epic would be awesome !
    Dewi likes this.
  12. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    thats MotoGP weekend bugger
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watch other people having fun vs having fun :hmmmmm
    theMISSIONARY and Ron50 like this.
  14. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Ha I am hearing you! Heading down to be pit crew for the weekend for a fellow racer otherwise I would go out on the pushy, might ride the pushy down to PI and back through the rail trails to get the best of both worlds if the weather is nice!
    Dr AT and Richarde1605 like this.
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Kaptain lARD aRSES revenge: "The return of the Semi..." :norton

well, as you all remember from my last bed time story... Swednavian fudge (me) go my arse handed to me by the youngsters the other weekend at the Bockstenstour (50 km) mtb ride...

Amy and I on one of the first woods sections... about 5 km's in...

received_382859075730476.jpeg

Amy clocked her "solo" finish in 3 hours 2 minutes... after dropping me, and chasing down the two boys over the closing 15 km's, to finish just 3 minutes behind Camron.
    received_419469948970207.jpeg
    ... I came in about 13 minutes after Amy... all the three kids whipped me... :eekers

A flogged "daddy" having a lighthearted post race"sook"... :lol3
    IMG_6069.jpg

Well anyway... I vowed that "daddy" would get redemption for my soft#¤ck effort... :gerg

... and it came in the form of "Snapphanetour" in Hässleholm - two weekends later... :nod :deal
    poppy, theMISSIONARY and a2zworks like this.
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    "Snapphaneturen" held at the @ 1000 hectare Hovdala Castle nature reserve (former Military training grounds) which in the past has hosted both World Champion and Swedish national enduro competitions, as well as the infamous "Novemberkåsan" (24 hour enduro - held in snow frozen winter... at night! :eekers:eek7)... so the place is rekowned for tough offroad terrain... :evil

The Snapphane (1700's South-Swedish rebels that frequented the Skåne area) tour... is reknowned as the highest/toughest percentage of "singletrack" on the Swedish mtb calender, and offers categories over three seperate consecutive loops; 28 km, 15 km (43 km course) and 21 km (64 km course) to test the participants...

The kids were feeling confident and wanted to go the 64 km challenge... me (having ridden enduro's there in the past, and one of the first Snapphanetour mtb events - back in @ 2005) suggested that the 43 km version would be more than tough enough... and that the ride in Varberg the week earlier was a cakewalk by comparison. so we signed on for the 43 km ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    poppy, jardine, Turps and 1 other person like this.
  17. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    We took the start with the other 600 entrants...

IMG_6105.jpg

This time I was on the Trance - as Cam's had pulled a DNS (he had a cold and fever since three days prior)... so it was hampus, Amy and me that soldiered up...

We started out with about 5 km's of wide easy (slight uphill) cobblestone and gravel roads (for the field to stretch out a bit)... then dumped into a solid 15 km section of old enduro singletracks... slick muddy terrain (in light rain) was the complete opposite of the relatively warm and easy conditions two weeks prior at the BST. Amy dropped off as soon as we hit the technical greasy stuff... Hampus was about a minute or so ahead of me... at the 6km time checkpoint he clocked thru in pos. 85... me in pos 149.

IMG_6113.jpg

At about the 21 kilometer mark, Hampus was victim to the relenting conditions (side pains/leg cramping), and pulled out... When I came through the 28 km checkpoint (about two hours in), they told me that "H" was out - and they had seen Amy - @ 25 minutes or so off me...

IMG_6154.jpg

:eek7 time to dig deep lil' daughter... :thumbup
    poppy likes this.
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    The second loop was slightly less technical than the opening stanza... but I have to say was the highest percentage of hard core trails (maybe 35 of the 43 km's total) of any organised mtb event I have participated... it was tough.

I crossed the finish line 43 km mark at 3 hours and 35 minutes... in 154th position - which in perspective - compared to the 3 hours and 15 minutes it took me (in bad form) to finish the 50 km BST two weekends prior.

IMG_6167.jpg

Amy soldiered on - she wanted to pull out at the 28 km mark... but after she got some sports drink, a cinnamon roll and some red/green frogs in her at the energy stop - she decided to press on...

image000007.jpg

... and crossed the line in 4 hours and 15 minutes in 321st position (43 km category)... but she completed every meter of those wet cold 43 km's... and toughed it out - solo - of the 600 that started, there were more than 180 DNF's... so I was very, very proud of her...

image000003.jpg

On the way back to the carpark (there were only the tail enders left) to load our bikes... she lent over and said, "thank's Daddy... I learnt some stuff out there today on my own (normally we always ride together)... today was the hardest bike ride I've done - and I made it - thank's to you..."

good times ! :nod
  19. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big thumbs up Troy boy. The old enduro skills on show aye, that’s a bloody good result for the both of you. Went easy on Ham?
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yes... for sure... and yeah - there was no disgrace on Hampus' side from pulling out... I realise now that I'd neglected to mention, his "side pains" were a result of some pretty bruised ribs he'd suffered the weekend prior - when he and his mate's were mucking around at the pump/skate track and doing some "par cour" moves on the retaining walls... he slipped/tripped and banged himself up a bit... started the SHT 43 km with a few Panadols in him... and when they started to wear off about 15 km's in... he fought on for a bit - but realised he was up against it, and pulled out.

He'll live, to fight on...

hampus SHT.jpg
    another day...
    poppy and Paul124ac like this.