So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Aussie Digger

Aussie Digger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taiwan update - Wednesday
    I continue heading south on the west side of the Island and crossed the Tropic of Cancer and entered ‘South Taiwan’ today. Temps and humidity have risen over the last couple of days and will continue to rise until I cross the Island in a few days time.

[​IMG]
    Crossing the Tropic of Cancer heading south.

[​IMG]
    SPOT Link is here;

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09cBZd6nWtLYlnrMdJ57gCRUCtYLNPufa

Stats for today.
    Distance - 72.4km
    Time - 3.46 hours
    Avg- 19.1 kph
    Max 40.3 kph.
    Total so far - 491km.
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you hot superhuman legs? Average 19 kph towing a trailer? I remember slogging away with a trailer filled with tiddlers - HARD wirk!
  3. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Hey .. he is heading south .. so down hill and towards home. :-) He'll slow down when he turns the corner to go north :augie

(Of course he could cheat and take the train... :hide)

~20 kmh is a fair speed on a loaded bicycle - well done. But only ~ 4hours? Humm.. well it is a holiday, enjoy.
  4. Aussie Digger

Oddometer:
    Hahaha...I will be taking the train when I cross from west to east. I knew I was gunna have 4 ‘bad days’ due to altitudes and hills and I’ve already had one of them when I climbed to Sun Moon Lake. I don’t want a repeat of that so I’ll take the train instead. The 4 hours is actual riding time and does not include rest stops and if I stop to smell roses etc. Over the years I’ve averaged 17-19 kph and it’s usually determined by road and traffic conditions. The rolling country on the east coast will slow me down a bit.
    Warin likes this.
  5. Aussie Digger

Oddometer:
    Taiwan update - Friday 24 January

I’m not feeling the love on this trip. There is so much heavy industry and so much congestion on the west side of Taiwan that each day seems like Groundhog Day. Thankfully I have taken the opportunity to visit a small coral island just off the coast and I will stay here for two nights to give me some respite. It is still busy with a population of 12,000 plus holiday makers but it is less intense then the mainland. Once back on the mainland I will look at the option of catching a train to cross from west to east to save me having to climb over a steep mountain range. Chinese NYE tonight but it’s a sombre mood due to Coronavirus.
    Happy New (Chinese) New Year, Happy Australia Day.
    :photog
  6. Aussie Digger

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My new look since they’ve had reported cases of the Coronavirus in Taiwan.

[​IMG]
    So much heavy industry. It’s like this day in, day out.
  7. Aussie Digger

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Short Ferry ride to Lambai Island.

[​IMG]
    Flower Vase Rock on the coral island.
  8. Aussie Digger

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Old fort and gun complex similar to the coastal artillery installations on Australia during times of conflict.

Total so far - 592km.

:clap
  9. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    Corona virus has a confirmed case in Australia now.
    It amazes me that we shut our borders to horses a few years ago to protect the racing industry but waited for china to act on this one instead of our government stopping the planes from the virus source.
    Hopefully we Aussies have a stronger immunity to the bug and can fight it off if infected.
  10. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Jards and i rode the newly built Lake Mountain Cascade trail today on the Hardtails.
    Perfect conditions with the track still damp and a mild day for the most part.

Approx 30km with 1500m descent and 500m climb. (Sounds easy:deal)
    Shuttle up from Marysville to LM.

Absolutely awesome tracks, with challenging short/sharp and winding/switch-back climbs, technical rocky sections and rediculously long/ bermed (steep)downhill sections with A/B lines and a few jumps for the more adventurous.
    (my jumping days are over:()

We took just over 3 hours with a couple of stops (lookouts and lunch stop).:shog

Can't recommend it enough.:beer

Obligatory photo (only photo:D)

20200125_122018.jpg
  11. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    3 weeks away Jardine, I think you will be ok. The fires just haven't taken off in the high country so conditions at Thredbo have been pretty benign. Getting there could be a problem, the RMS reckons the Alpine Way will be open in 2 weeks, the contractors say it will be closer to 4. Wait and see.
  12. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Thanks Woody, the organisers are saying its on and as you said getting there will be interesting, I don't see the Princes Hwy from Cann to Bombala opening so looks like up the Hume to Tumut and in at the moment if the Alpine way is still closed too
  13. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    You should be able to come through Tumba by then so that will be a more interesting trip, but I assume you will be coming on 4 wheels so Tumut will work for you. Is that the same weekend as the fillum festival? We are heading over for that so I hope some interesting roads are open.
  14. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Yep 4 wheels and Elliot Way still closed so wait and will see, 14th-16th Feb so a bit of time yet

huge job for the crews to get the roads open and so many businesses must be suffering with the Princess Hwy closed

horrible time for all, including the wildlife and critters:(
  15. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Hey Doc, the Cascade trail is like a shorter version of the Epic only better, the downhill is crazy fun and good brakes are needed! Finishing in walking distance to Marysville bakery, good as it gets!!!

Looking at Marysville now that is so vibrant and green you could not imagine the area had been wiped clean by fires 10? years ago, the recovery of the people and the area is amazing
  16. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we've had 3 weekends where trips to lake mountain were planned but weather / fires intervened. It's at the top of my must do list but the giant is at the shop searching for an electrical glitch and I don't trust myself with the reign e they offered as a loan.....at the moment I'm hoping to do lake mountain edit 22/23 feb ( and being close to my birthday , if the bike isn't fixed it might be time to take up their offers.....)

It's really impressive how much effort is going into recivery. Apparently yesterday they allowed some people through to Mallacoota to retrieve vehicles, re opened the Hotham road - whilst mist of Australia are on holiday the police / fire services / delwp / logging industry et al are busting their guts . They were even doing back burns yesterday ( grumble grumble cough splutter...frk I hope the smoke clears up before corona arrives in town...)
  17. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Rode a 2020 turbo levo today
    So good doing 25kphr up hill , loved it, if i had the $ spare would have n one
    bigborett and Bluetonguejak like this.
  18. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may as well get it now so it is sorted when you go because you know you are going to buy it eventually.
    Dr AT likes this.
  19. trokel

trokel Vinduro - Old dirtbikes are more fun

Oddometer:
    Took a family holiday at Bright Last week as the fire situation had eased somewhat and we had the time off so while there I hit the trails up Mystic as it was open again. Conditions were wet due to a number of storms that went through the area while we were there but I really enjoyed exploring the area right up until my rear freewheel shat it again on the climb to the top of Hero Trail. :baldy This is the new hub that went in just before xmas after the original one failed and this time it stripped completely so ended up hiring a bike for the rest of the trip so I could ride around with the kids but all in all we still had a great time. Due to the recent fires it was unbelievably quiet in Bright for this time of year which was good for us but not great for the town so if you have the time get up there and hit the trails and have a blast and help out the local economy at the same time. It really is a beautiful part of our country. 20200121_105017.jpg 20200121_105722.jpg 20200121_110725.jpg 20200121_113649.jpg

Attached Files:

theMISSIONARY, jardine, Turps and 3 others like this.
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    A huge :clap to giant australia +/- riviera cycles. There was an intermittent fault on my full e pro that seemed to go away after much negotiation with connectors by the shop. Gary even went out and broke strava to see if the bike was riding well....But their computer is still showing error codes so Giant are sending out a brand new (2020) motor!! This is for a 2018 bike that's VERY close to the end of warranty. How easy would it be to just hand the bike back and claim it was fixed - awesome service.
    Dewi, Brute, GelandeRoadie and 3 others like this.