So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Yeah I personally wasn't too upset about Thredbo and we could see it coming. Our own Tassie trip was to be on the 11th of April but I could also see that getting canned too as Tassie shut its borders for the Spanish Flu back in the day too. I personally don't mind them doing it. If nothing else we are living through a very interesting event.
    We have some decent enough trails here to keep us fit.
    Dr AT likes this.
  2. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Thredbo might have been cancelled, but everyone turned up anyway apparently. From what I hear no one stuck to the 1.5 m gap in the lift queue.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sprogette was pissed - her timetable looked like this

Tuesday year 11 outdoor ed mtb ride - cancelled
    Thursday -sunday thredbo interschools - cancelled
    Mon to friday work experience with local hirse riding camp - cancelled
    Then 2 weeks at derby - cancelled.

So I reminded her she is more than welcome to come to work and stick swabs up the nose if corona carriers....
  4. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Yes some of the guys from our school went down which I thought it was a little ridiculous given the school cancelled everything on the Friday and then MTBA cancelled the event Sunday. Never mind the advice the government was putting out etc asking us to be sensible. If they had brought something back there would have been a problem.
    As it was they didn't get the chance as our school contacted us Sunday night and cancelled school too, 3 weeks early. My wife is from Italy so we've had a pretty graphic play by play from her friends and relatives for weeks already.
  5. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    It's been a bit like that eh!
    I hear that test is no fun at all for the patient :D
  6. Aussie Digger

Aussie Digger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G’day Slackers,

Something a little different...

:lol3
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    no, it's not - I've had the nasal swab done after contact with whooping cough patients . Insert until eyes water, say " nearly finished" , then rapidly step away as gagging commences. But now we have to do both nostrils AND the back of the throat with the same swab. I swear ppe stands for puke protection equipment.
  8. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    Given that Sydney is the hottest spot for the virus, I am wondering how many are still going to do the easter and school holiday escape from there.
    I suspect quite a few, and living in a popular spot here i also expect a spike in cases here after.
    Hopefully our governments have a plan other than a few council controlled camp grounds and caravan parks currently closing for the duration.
    Currently the Mid North Coast has 12 cases and it seems to be contained and the far North Coast has zero.
    I am really happy I made the decision to start travelling early this year and just got back last week from a month long pushy trip from Hobart to port macquarie so I got a fix before the shit hit the fan.
    I am still looking at doing some bush trips locally outside the holiday period if the forests and parks dont close those areas as well.
    It will be good to get back to that sort of trip, almost no one else around and self sufficient for a few days.
  9. Turps

Turps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Vic I saw a post from DEWLP All caravan parks are closed to non permanent residents.
    And all camp grounds are closed.
    So unless it’s private property can’t camp anywhere.
  10. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    Lets see what Gladys does.
    Personally I would like to see a total lockdown for a month as New Zealand are doing.
    My guess is that in the end we will be worse off for dragging it out and will most likely end up in lockdown anyway.
  11. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    and just about every other trail net work in the state....... but they are letting mainlanders off the boat with little to no control FFS
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what the procedures would be for the 14 day isolation period. I've got a place up on the East coast and so would have stayed there for the duration and got my neighbours to drop off my groceries maybe.
    So if they have no systems in place whats the point?
    I was disappointed with Tasmanian quarantine services a while back. I was taking in brand new hive equipment and had been talking to the DPIPWE going as far as giving them dates and times and my registration number so they could inspect all my gear. Tassie doesn't have pests we have up on the mainland and needs to be vigilant. Anyway there was not one single person manning the lanes on arrival and every car drove straight through ... whats the point? Tassie needs to step up.
    Was it last year they were all freaking out because fruit fly got in.. I'm not surprised it did.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  13. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, we don't check you guys for scars.
    w3llo likes this.
  14. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Part of the difference there is that NZ has the economy of a 7eleven store. They should be able to bounce back more quickly.
    They will all just come here anyway.

Lots of double standards at the moment.
    I work in the building industry(commercial) in Victoria and at this stage it is not being closed down, even though it is very high risk with social distancing in some areas being virtually impossible. But, it gives the state 43 or 47 percent(can't remeber) of its tax revenue. I wonder why they don't want to shut it down?
    I'm sure the mining industry is in a similar boat in other states and territories.
  15. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    undoes fly......Yep second head is still there....
  16. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    new law in place
    "From March 26th to April 20th Social Sport gatherings are now prohibited by law. This includes social bike riding of more than 2 people who do not live in the same premises."

no fun in that
  17. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suddenly 3 sprogs to go riding with doesn't sound so bad.
    Warin likes this.
  18. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Get out of my trail space. Honk honk
  19. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find a reference to this apart from cycling Vic and NSW strongly advising against group rides.
    Organised events are cancelled.
    Couldn't find a reference to law?
  20. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Um .. I think under a the strict definition of 'the law' it is not 'the law' that has changed but some regulation of 'the law'. Those are far easier to alter not requiring pollies etc.

But for 'us' common types the effect is the same, under a broad definition of 'the law' .. it has changed.