So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    i ride mine for exercise to help me when i ride my proper bikes, an ebike would kinda defeat the purpose
    numbat, Cruz, DOT and 2 others like this.
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you trading both in? :hide

Btw, is that old trance one of the models pre standardisation of rear shock mounts? Sprogette 2 rides my vmtb , the last of the 26 inch trances. Great little bike, but when the rear shock died I had all types of grief getting a modern shock to fit - the lower mount needed custom bushings machining up and still has a bit of slop.
  3. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not really, you just ride them faster, longer, with more enjoyment and it is you that chooses the power mode, not the bike.
    But fair enough.
    Ducatijim and Dr AT like this.
  4. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    tell me what year model it is? and a pic if possible
  5. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    At a push I'd say a 2008 trance? Pictured below next to sprogette 1's 2019 scott genius 940 - vastly different bikes!
    105C8E59-B9BD-4677-B474-570F40D1F005.jpeg

The old shock had about 18 mm bore at the lower point. We ended up making bushes and using a cheap x fusion shock - sprogette 2 isn't as crazy as sprogette 1 so doesn't really need high tech.
    The old shock
    4FA1A211-A765-40D0-B090-C5F6933A1452.jpeg
  6. Robocos

Robocos n00b

Oddometer:
    When you're in lockdown but your credit card isn't.

Been chasing a hardtail for a while and couldn't get what I wanted in the 2nd hand market especially with the lockdown. Keen to hit the trails when this is all over. Suuny Coast, Qld.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Hardtails are fun and give you a good work out.
    Robocos likes this.
  8. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    the shock bottom mount "should" be just shock onto smooth bolt no bushing,the top will have a bushing.
    have a look in here its probably UK but most will send if not they will send to a dealer
    https://www.giantbikespares.com/Gia...8340_1--1280GS834006A6/product_detail/3-44902
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks, but the problem was getting a replacement SHOCK - the holes in the original shock ends are larger than any modern shock . We ended up making bushes to sleeve down the frame mounts / linkages so we could use a normal bolt through a modern shock
  10. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    ah yes ...engage google fu
    shock 184x44... couple of new options, Decent (lol) bike shop should have some bushing for the larger eyelets on the Fox,is the Fox the Original shock? ...NS dynamics https://nsdynamics.com.au/ can it rebuild etc

measure the bottom eyelet i might have one here or amte might
  11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the fox pictured was the original - second had info at the time was fox don't produce these older generation shocks but I'd love for that info to be wrong. Whilst I've moved on from that old trance, it's still fun to occasionally take it for a spin - so nimble!! It's about half the weight of my full e pro, very quick steering - like an oversize bmx....

Bottom eyelet us 20 mm diam , 14 mm thick
    Top is 14 mm diam.
    Eye to eye measures 184 mm

Ps Don't waste a lot of time sifting through your parts - the cheap x fusion in there now is good enough for sprogette 2 .
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but like most metric shocks they max out at 15 mm lower eyelet
  14. numbat

numbat Long timer

Oddometer:
    The above makes me wonder, the shock on my 2009/10 Giant anthem X2 is a FOX Float R, when it packs it in, is that the end of the bike?
    The length is only 165 mm, and my Wife's shock is the same length.
    Are there options? The bikes are still in good nick.
  15. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 165 mm isn't an issue, but it depends on mounting - if you're worried measure the eyelet size. If you're lucky it'll be 15 mm or smaller and easy to replace. If not, you just have to get creative with machining up bushes .

Our other vmtb is a crappy old specialized , I just bought some cheap brass bushes on ebay and slipped in a cheap shock. It's basic but only cost $100

eg you might be able to get away with something like this
    https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/dnm-ao42rc-mountain-bike-air-rear-shock-with-locko/AO42RC
    or even jyst $100 ish for this
    https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sr-suntour-raidon-r-mountain-bike-air-rear-shock/SHOCK-SR
    numbat likes this.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Yep, an old guy up here at Brendale used to machine new ones for shocks and also do suspension bushes and pivot points also for the single pivot bikes.
    numbat likes this.
  17. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    My Giant NRS1 has the same shock as the early Anthem you can still keep them going....
    numbat likes this.
  18. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    quick look i have two of the 165mm shocks which the NRS/Anthem and first model Trance used.

i've been thinking of late Aus doesn't have any bicycle wreckers like we do for motorcycles....perhaps i could do it :hmmmmm
    numbat and Bluetonguejak like this.
  19. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly we've developed a throw away attitude to bikes, and it's not helped by the lack of standardisation on parts.

Just looking at the fleet in my shed , there are 4 different seat post diameters, 5 different front hub / axle designs, none of the bikes have interchangeable rear wheels , and trying to remember which pads fit which disks is a nightmare! Rear cassettes - there are 7,9,10, 12 and even the two 11 sp are different because one is sram and the other shimano. Oh, and an 8 speed internal thing on my wife's bike. All 5 rear shocks are different, same goes for the forks. Ummmm...some of the grips might be cross compatible....

I snapped a spoke on sprog 3's norco the other day, just for fun I thought I'd see what a replacement front wheel was worth - thinking it might be an opportunity to upgrade to something lighter -15x 100 mm hub with 23 mm rim - good luck finding that ! It's only 3 years old and already obsolete.

On a slightly more positive note, the 11 yo front mtb wheel from my wifes hardtail slots straight into her brand new urban thing. It looks a bit weird running a 26" dhf and rear 27.5" tan walled urban tyres...but worked great when we rode a greasy rail trail.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  20. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    Just one MTBs i dont have that much trouble with all the standards the worst is a lack of good quality suspension forks.... Road bikes are largely alien to me,i have learnt a bit since getting the gravel bike but i draw the line on them as they still have knobby tyres :D