So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
  2. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Warin likes this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    That's what happens when they send the marketing dept. undergrad student - who has been reading all kinds of Adventure rider literature - over to Shimano for work experience... it's the "1000cc + and more kg's" doctrine spreading to the fat, old coffee sipping bicycle rider niche... :*sip* :rofl
    Warin likes this.
  5. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    . The 630 WH battery has been around for a couple of years , My 2019 Norco Sight VLT has that battery , running the E8000 motor . My Norco is a tad over 22 KG with the bigger battery , it has a Carbon frame to trim down the weight though . I personally think the extra battery range is a godsend , if you have run out of charge and had to ride uphill with no assistance from the motor you'd know what I am talking about . I do 50 + Km Adv rides on my Norco with little to zero worry about running out of charge while running heaps of boost for the fun factor . Us retired folk can do that several times a week when healthy , of which I am not at present , I am suffering from hip / lumbar spine issues .
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm firmly in the limp wristed camp on this one- give me a lighter bike with the option of carrying extra if needed. Mostly because I'm not up to riding at full boost for those sort of k's - I can manage 50-60 k of 100% assistance , but if I ride at full boost I'm STUFFED by about 40 k. Both those come in at about 70% of my 500 wh battery . The original focus jam with 375 w and the option of a range extender is what I'd love , although preferably one without the gremlins they had on the range extender.... It'll be interesting to see what norco brings out for the EP8 because they make some very tempting light bikes with range extender options. Hopefully they will keep the light sight 27.5 and we won't have to settle for the fugly heavy 29 sight

NOT happy that merida e160's are going to be 500 gm heavier for 2021 vs 2020 .....but I guess that gives me an excuse to procrastinate a bit longer
  7. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    Or , seek out a run out 2020 model with appropriate discount applied :evil .
  8. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Or take a big Dump before you ride.......... 500 grams lol
  9. Nandewar

Nandewar Sound sound the clarion

Oddometer:
    Here is a question for the brains trust.
    When is the best time to sell an ebike?
    I have a 2018 Trek Powerfly 5 with 6000km on the clock. Not sure what the battery diagnostics say but I can still do 60+ km of hilly trails on a charge. I would like to ride a bit further though.
    I'm not at all unhappy with the bike but don't want to be caught with a bike I can't sell and have to find even bigger bucks to replace it.
    Any thoughts?
  10. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    ^ A bit like the how long is a piece of string question ..... probably the right time to sell it is when someone wants it and is willing to pay your asking price . For some , that will never eventuate . One of my mates traded in his Powerfly 5 on Specialized Turbo Levo , they gave him $3.5 K on the trek but the Levo was $9.5 K . It surprised me that the bike shop did a trade in deal , I think it really helped that the shop also sells Trek bikes new and they do move a heap of bikes here in Newcastle as well as supply hire bikes .
    Nandewar likes this.
  11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now is a great time to sell but terrible time to buy.

The shimano ep8 was released a couple of days ago but the rumour is shimano have recalled ALL new bikes - so lots of people who put down deposits / are waiting to purchase their 2021 shimano powered bike just discovered it's not available.

The usual end of season bike discounts didn't happen because everything is selling out due to covid restrictions

More importantly, you might catch a new to emtb buyer who doesn't know the old generation bosch motors are draggy etc .

You are presumably at end of warranty? I guess do the maths on a potential motor rebuild and decide if you really need to be buying at a time when new bike prices have gone crazy? I had been intending to trade up for 2021 , but am rapidly losing enthusiasm - my 2018 giant is rock solid reliable and I'd be lucky to get $3 k for it - why sink and extra $6 k for something new that's only a couple of kg lighter?

Buy a spare battery to double your range?
    Nandewar likes this.
  12. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our Norco batteries were actually sourced by Norco and are not actually shimano batteries. Hopefully Simano has developed a better 630 one. The sight is amazing but our batteries are too heavy. Weigh 4 kgs. Yes I have had it on the scale. The shimano external 500w including casing is only around 2.5 kg (I have a Merida at home too). With a lighter designed battery I think our bikes could have been another kg lighter.
    Dr AT likes this.
  13. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    Was a bit of an experiment, i learned i can work them harder during the day seeing as they have so much energy left in the afternoon:lol3.

I took the E Bike last time with him, kept asking, you want to head back, take it easy, no, no im good, this is easy, these E Bikes are for old blokes, if we go here we have some climbing ahead, then some good down hill, still, yeah lets go, Ok . I said that thing in turbo, a laugh came forth, he had a bit of a dick swing, but the old man was wise and knowledgeable and was far smarter than the young buck, pressing on i was waiting at the top of one hill, waiting waiting. What is going on, back down from where i had just came, no one, across the fire trail and back down further, sing out, young buck, young buck, where art thou young buck. Found the bike lying on the ground, young buck on his haunches, dry reaching what was left inside him, figured he had had enough, no more dick swinging, a bit of water and an easy route back, sore legs and some grumbling the next day, happy days.
    Boxa and bigborett like this.
  14. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bit like riding with @Bluetonguejak in the old days.
    He would always be saying, only one more hill to go. About ten bloody times.
    Grumble, grumble. Dying, dying.

None of that now. I whistle while i ride.

Still get a good work out when you get into it a bit though.
    Don't want these clockwork riders getting the wrong idea about ebikes.
  15. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    I have gone one step further than an e bike an i now have an app on my phone that plays a continuous loop of a mtb riding. You still get a good workout on that when you get into it too........ha
    Warin likes this.
  16. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah yeah.
    I guess if you push the buttons quick enough.

Well riding MX isn't a work out either. You just sit there and turn the throttle.
    Just ask anyone who hasn't ridden.

But I think you know better than that Darren.
    darren70 likes this.
  17. GelandeRoadie

GelandeRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All, my 10 year old Son has his heart set on a dual suspension bike, even worse, my Wife said he could have one for Christmas - before consulting with me! He has a 24" Giant XTC which I think is adequate for the riding we do, which is easy trails and playing around at the skills park at the bottom of the Kombi trail near Brisbane.

Anyway, I've been looking around at bikexchange and 99 Bikes, new dually's all seem to be north of $2,000. I'm also checking various FB groups. I've seen a Giant Anthem with 26" wheels on FB for around $1,000 but it is a medium size, which given he's just under 5' I think it is just a bit too big for him. He rides my medium hard tail with the seat in the lowest position on easy terrain and this has probably swayed him toward over confidence when assessing his riding skill, his ambition has been known to outweigh his skill (I guess we all had that issue at 10...).

I'm just wondering how you guys who ride with kids have managed to get them going once they outgrew their starter bikes? Have you been able to hand down an old bike that you had? Or do you just bite the bullet and smile and say goodbye to some cash? I'll also add that he agreed to save his pocket money to help with the purchase.
  18. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    All my kids got my hand me down bikes at around that age +/- 2 years ( sprog 1 was 6 foot by 10 yo so she worked her way through 2 of my bikes before getting her own at 15 yo - she's riding a scott genius 940 now which is WAY beyond my needs - perhaps I can inherit it from her in the future?)

It took a bit of juggling with shorter stems / cut down seat posts etc, but has worked pretty well. MUCH better than wasting $ on someone else' worn out junk, or buying a mediocre bike you can never sell. Meanwhile I had good excuses to buy myself new bikes.....

My 2009 giant trance went from sprog 1 to sprog 2 , it's a medium 26' but by modern standards would be considered small. VERY light with just 32 mm forks and 160 mm discs , tyres are about 2.1 ' - essentially the same bike as a modern trance junior.

My 2017 norco optic went to sprog 1 when she outgrew the performance potential of that trance, and last year she outgrew the norco so it was handed to sprog 3 . It's a medium frame but only about 130 mm travel.

When sprog 1 was doing the school for student leadership at Dinner Plane I took this photo of Sprog 3 riding " her" norco...he'd be 9 in that photo.

36D9B1A0-9BC2-4770-86BC-08731E2C6513.jpeg
    GelandeRoadie likes this.
  19. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is sprog 2 on the 2009 trance, she's pretty casual so it'll probably last her for years

212537D4-2A01-4C4D-B390-AA70D2611889.jpeg
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    And sprog 1 at 13 yo on the norco.....she was already reaching its limits.

A6FF73FC-9A2C-44EB-B2D4-DA121876E2DF.jpeg