So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Checkin' the boundary fences mate.
    (Somebody elses!):D

We are actually doing 'fire hazard reduction works' in between rides.

Got a nice paddock full of Patersons curse too. Too late spray.:dirtdog

20201101_131345.jpg
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 500 wh battery from my 2018 full e pro fits his explore , but if cosmetics are important he needs to add a different cover over the interface between motor and battery. ( or remove the cover from his 400 wh battery for it to fit my full e pro.

Not everyone has the courage to spend big the first time, or the ability to score an amazing bargain. I'm still working on the psychology of purchase no 2 - Paying pandemic plus premium price bracket for the bike I now know I " need" (Orbea range m10 $13.500 vs M20 $10500 + ยง300 shock upgrade + $700 fork upgrade + $ 170 beakes +$84 bars + $70 tyres + possibly wheels @$870= $1400 for lower spec than the $13500 version :hmmmmm but honey, it's only a $10 k bike)
    bigborett likes this.
  3. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's only money. :baldy
  4. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting emoji, that's pretty much how I feel at work at the moment.....
    bigborett likes this.
  5. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite getting you point Doc.
    My purchase price was $3100, my upgrades, forks $399, brakes $150 + longer brake line $50. $3699.
    The bike bike you linked $3799, lets say the dealer knocked off $100 like he did with my Explore, I'm still at $3699.
    Anything else I added would have been added to whatever I bought.
    The bike you linked dose not have air forks, mine does now and adjustable from 80-120mm of travel.
    The bike you linked has lower spec brakes, mine has higher spec front brakes now.
    My bike has tubeless rims, the bike you linked does not.
    My bike has superior ergo palm rest grips, the bike you linked does not.
    They both have Deore Shadow derailer's.
    The only thing I can see that could be considered better is the battery capacity.
    As I can get 70-80 klms with my 400Wh I really doubt I need a bigger battery.
    232.jpg
    Having owned a Talon in the past, I never liked the ergonomics so I gave it to my son.
    So please explain how I would of been better off with the bike you linked.
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not saying you'd be better off, just trying to demonstrate how similar spec to what you ended up with cost similar to what you ended up paying. Ie you got a bargain to be able to upgrade components / customise and stay within what the manufacturers charge for the next level up
  7. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next level would be $4499 and I still have better forks and front brakes.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/explore-eplus-1-25km-h-2020
    On a side note, what's a 500Wh battery cost?
  8. bigborett

Oddometer:
  9. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in Canberra on the weekend and fell in love with a Scott Spark dually. It followed me home, so maybe it loves me, too? Took it for it's first spin this morning, and I'm very impressed. Not electric, but as was pointed out in response to my question earlier in the thread, I'm riding for fitness so why not go dual suspension? Love the remote lockout on the front and rear shocks, which has three settings: fully open, partially closed, and fully locked out. This thing is so light compared to my old Merida hardtail, it is amazing how much has changed in the bicycle world in nearly 10 years. Now I just have to keep riding it and get my fitness back! Thanks for the advice, it was useful and appreciated.
    Turps, theMISSIONARY, jardine and 3 others like this.
  10. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a fair whack, maybe as technology forges ahead the prices will come down.
    Next question it raises is what's the life expectancy of the motors?
    Is there a rebuild kit of sorts?
    As bike components are rebuildable or replaceable, there no reason why the life of the bike can not be extended if the electric side can be serviced.
    I'm sure that I'm pretty easy on the equipment now than what I would have been when I was younger.
    So I should get a good service life out of my E-bike if parts are available and not too cost prohibitive to replace.
  11. bigborett

Oddometer:
    The motors are in general fairly reliable with long service lives.
    There were a few problems with the later Bros motor(Specialized), mainly excessive noise but were generally fixed under warranty I believe. Specialized also stretched their warranty on those bikes out to 4 years to calm nervous minds.
    Wodger63 likes this.
  12. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I looked in 2018 it was around $1 k by the time you buy the cosmetic bits, there was minimal difference in weight or size - apparently the 500 w uses more compact cells, or at least it did in 2018. I have a vague recollection you have to adjust the lock between the 2 batteries as well, so swapping between the 400/500 wasn't as easy as I had hoped ( I was hoping for a weight saving by running 400 on my shorter rides)

One day we'll have some sort of universal standard.......
    Wodger63 likes this.
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    sprogette 1 has a scott genius , and you're right on that remote lock out. Once you get used to using it, there is a fantastic improvement in efficiency. I wonder about a simplified version - drop the seat and it flicks to down hill mode, raise the seat and it's in the middle mode? My brain struggles with seat up, seat down , suspension 150 mm, 90 mm, locked out,....
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  14. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    If you take a liking to exploring widely on your Ebike around that Nth east Corner of your wonderful state , you'll want to upgrade more than the forks when you have a run down some of the trails around Blue Derby and the like ! https://www.ridebluederby.com.au/accommodation/st-helens

I am champing at the bit to be able to drive my ute through Vicbloodytoria and put it on the spirit to cross the strait for a look around Tassie with my ebike on the tray for the deeper/dirty explore when available . This Covid crap is driving me nuts with travel restrictions , I retired 12 months ago and once I had my travel set up sorted we had a firestorm all over most of this state (NSW) and then when the smoke from the fires cleared , Covid smacked us in the face with all the associated travel restrictions . I am a week and a bit into a 5 week jaunt around the South Coast and southern Highlands of NSW now , but it is all old ground to me , just seeing places and noting the changes since the last time I was down here . Sitting in our van at Tuross Head currently . Dreaming of Tassie in Summer :raabia .
    Bluetonguejak and darren70 like this.
  15. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:

:drink I am pleased to hear / read , it is not just me who , when back on the bike after a while not riding , struggles to get the muscle motor memory back in sync with all the controls . A few days ago I was trying to get the seat post raise / lower lever to change the gears , took a few seconds to have the Grey matter clear the cob webs and curse myself for the dumb arse mistake . I am retired and busy though Doc , what's your excuse again ???:brow :lol3
  16. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just tired and busy.

Oh, and I swap between 4 bikes on a regular basis, so random twitches of my left thumb either drop the seat , change gears, or change the suspension setting. Or sometimes drop the seat and adjust the electric assist level....or turn the assistance off....2 bikes have the dropper lever below the bar, 1 above, the other has , I think, 3 gears badly adjusted from a lever that sticks occasionally. Pay attention, there will be a test afterwards.

Then every so often I head out on the motorbike. Apparently your thumb is for the indicator? Us country folk sometimes forget about indicators.

Now, where was I ?

Oh, yeah, the week before Tasbloodymania decided boat people weren't welcome, we had to cancel 2 weeks at Derby, so the main thing I do with my thumb is suck on it whilst blubbering in the corner and wallowing in self pity.
    FEARNOBEER likes this.
  17. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    063CDE2C-7CB5-45DD-858A-197B7D4B02DB.jpeg

Interesting way to save carrying a couple poles:clap
  18. bigborett

Oddometer:
    And you want to ride to the pub.
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery