So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    now there's a Youtube video I'd pay to watch... :evil
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Knowing me I’d sit bolt upright and tear the side outta me face on the bloody pedals. Or roll over and end up with the bike on me and fight it into submission. Me, tents and sleeping bags have never really got along well, I can’t imagine throwing a hard sharp object into the mix.

Did SPOT let you delay the trip at no charge PD? We’ve booked to go down in Dec., we can move the date if necessary for the next 12 with no penalty.
    numbat likes this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got a partial refund from spot and one of the accomodation providers but lost the $ on a motel - to be honest, I was just hlad to not be trapped in Tasmania
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :1drink... new sig line material right there...
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  5. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    :rogue:drif
  6. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    Can any one recommend stick on repair patches for inner tubes.i used them years ago and found them very useful. No need to carry glue all the time and most times when you do need it its gone off.any links would be helpful
    Thanks
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wodger63 likes this.
  8. LKYPHL

LKYPHL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just changing the scene somewhat, I have enjoyed a couple of cycling holidays in La Belle France, taking my own bike the first trip, and hiring a bike (I took my own saddle, they were most impressed) for the second trip.
    Both trips were planned using a Michelin road atlas, predominately following the "green" (scenic) routes, with easy 40-55km days from hotel to hotel, which allowed me to burn off all the rich French tucker the hotels offer. Lunches were enjoyed in scenic spots having bought some supplies before the shops close at 1200 (not 1201 !). I usually rode 70% of the day's distance before lunch, leaving a cruisey arvo.
    The first three-week trip was through the Dordogne region, the second through Burgundy.
    Generally the terrain was quite manageable, the roads all well surfaced and clean, as I picked up only one puncture in about 1500 kms. Local bike shops are most helpful, especially when you let it be known you're an Aussie. Wearing a recognised Aussie cycling top helped ; they quickly realised I wasn't a Pommie.
    In one hotel I met an 82-y-o bloke who was off for a quick 125km ride "before lunch". A better man than me !
    Everyone I met was most impressed to meet an Aussie touring cyclist, and ALL drivers give cyclists a wide berth, usually tooting the horn to alert you of their approach from behind.
    It's a most enjoyable place to cycle. Walking is too slow, motorbikin' is too quick, cycling is just the right speed to see and smell things.

10F2CB57-97CB-4AD5-84C2-FF5166D5E0F3.jpeg

15F3F133-4C71-4379-BC05-0173DAD5177B.jpeg

271A3D81-5AF9-49FA-92BB-511C891E659B.jpeg

235465FB-4322-4DB9-B7C6-1DF2D5F0910C.jpeg

Phil
    TrevB, aspad, jardine and 4 others like this.
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't it strange how riding UP a down hill track gives you a different perspective? Frkn bullsh1t, that is NOT an intermediate trail!

88406080-86C9-465F-BDD7-3E6F4767BCBE.jpeg
  10. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like on my E-bike that in the event I get myself in a position I can't ride up with confidence, I can use the walk mode.
    Ironically, I found out how to use it the day after I could of used it.
    Warin likes this.
  11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    And just as you learn how to use walk mode, giant changes the sequence used to activate it :dirtdog
    Wodger63 likes this.
  12. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    I have nailed the walk mode........
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    +1 (and here I was, I thought it was just me... :shog :lol3)

:dirtdog
    On my Cannondale CUJO "walk mode" is more frequently known (to myself) as "lift, grunt and haul the heavy fcuker up in frustration" mode... :eatmeFor the love of all things Shimano, I have never been able to get "walk mode" in synch with walking up a steep hill. :baldy
  14. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:

You're doing it wrong. Make the bike drag your exhausted arse up that hill :deal
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    That's the part that I can't work out...
  16. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    pretend it's a wheely walking frame :gerg and just lean against the bike, accidentally push the random walk button sequence and then use your last remaining energy to stumble along as the bike zips away
  17. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    One of 'em jet ski kill lanyards could be handy.
  18. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be better if it was like Hard Enduro Ghost Mode ay Troy, - throw the fucker up the hill just like Graham Jarvis. Then Canondale gives you a new one.

I’ve asked Giant for a “fucked knees old cunt” walk mode, it’s too bloody fast for me on the flat let alone up a damn hill. If I couldn’t ride up it how am I supposed to be able to walk up it?
  19. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    change gears
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    giant sets walk mode to about 4.5 k , if you run 1st, it accelerates too quick. Any higher and the lag between on / off can mean the bike walks anywhere between 2 and 7 k.... But higher gears mean less pedal vs shin drama....

Stairs can be interesting, especially at ski resorts....about 2/3 up a flight is about the point where the front decides to come up
    bigborett likes this.