So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess you should have a look at the Rohloff conversion....
  2. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Was referring to shifters, shoulda been clearer.

Put GX drivetrain on the Epic and got NX/GX combo on the Fathom.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's a levo SL - as in barely an ebike but a LOT lighter than most . As much as I'd be tempted to put a rohloff into a full power ebike, it's seems like unnecessary weight in an SL.

I'll wait until mid gearboxed e bikes come out.
  4. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all academic until we find an exact weight for that PRD. Does it vary? Is there an industry standard? Is this the next scandal in world cycling, illegal PRD weights?
  5. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it a ratio of body weight vs PRD weight?
    Paul124ac likes this.
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    First day out on the sl today. VERY nice. I got up most of the trails I manage on fugle - except the rockiest uphill section of the trig - too many pedal strikes , hopefully this will improve as I get used to the different power delivery and bigger wheels.

I love the way this thing delivers assistance, it's more subtle than the giant ( even at similar assist levels) . Yet it's not got that sluggish feel that the shimano 8000 or older bosch had. Riding with the kids I was easily able to plod along in eco (35%) .

I'm still not sure if I should keep fugle - that decision will gave to wait until I've dong some shuttle runs at mt taylor - but for 95% of the riding I do, this bike is awesome.

42834140-60DB-4D7C-9B0F-E58A568CA030.jpeg
  7. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    By all accounts a great bike.
    I would have thought a great choice for someone like yourself who rides a lot, getting on in years(sorry) and riding with the ever quickening youngsters.

You will just have to watch range a little. But seems fairly relative to the power output though. So should be fairly similar to the full power e-bike but with less assist. Would be interested to hear.

Whilst not really relevant to your derailleur and cassette musings. I smashed the GX(I think it was GX) derailleur on my Levo awhile back. No one had one in stock, between Christmas and New Year. Eneded up finding an 11 speed XX1 derailleur and shifter that had been pulled of a new bike at the shop in favour of an Eagle setup at a very good price, only a little more than the GX was going to cost. Certainly would not have been forking out full price that's for sure. Just don't want to smash another one.
    There was nothing wrong with the performance of the GX series but the difference was very noticeable. Smoother, accurate and seems to just work very nicely and the adjustability in the shifter was great. The shifter is very nice.

Good luck on the SL.
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pft, range is NOT going to be an issue!

I used under 40% of the main battery doing a lap of blores today - about the same % as I'd use on my giant. So despite only having 360 wh vs the 500 wh , range should be very similar - except I have a range extender so that'd be another lap ( more than my body is capable of) .

If I had aspirations of keeping up with the kids, the new kenevo sl would be perfect. To be honest, I DO NOT want to be tempted to keep up
  9. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kenevo SL now. Hadn't seen that.
  10. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's why I could afford this levo sl - second hand levo prices went down as soon as the kenevo sl was released.

The previous owner bought this comp carbon levo sl, removed EVERYTHING from new and fitted exotic bits. Along comes the kinevo sl, so he buys a complete one AND orders an s works frame set !!! He transfers all those exotic bits across to the kenevo , and sells me this 1 year old levo sl with essentially unused parts ( except battery / frame / motor) .

By all accounts, the kenevo sl is a spectacular bike - but sit down before looking at the price!
    Richarde1605, Wodger63 and bigborett like this.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Took the GIANT Trance out for a culture tour in the summer warmth (28 degrees and sunny) :jkam Spårakulla.jpg

Torpet.jpg
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Plenty of woods and lakes to take in...

forest.jpg

Lake.jpg
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Stacked on a steep little dowhill single track...

stacked.jpg

... I zigged when should have zagged and snotted a rock that sent me off for a shrubbery encounter...

Just on the way down to this place... where I patched me elbow and knee up...

Rodatorpet.jpg
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    All in all a good day... how's this for a idyllic country escape...? :1drink

cottage.jpg

and out the back...

pond.jpg
    Mouse, jardine, Oldfatbeerman and 6 others like this.
  15. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After owning Mountain Bikes all my life, recent convert to a gravel bike, and really like the Giant Revolt. Comfortable, pretty fast on the road, and handles rough stuff better than I thought. After riding a F750GS in the gravel, 10kg sliding underneath you is easy peasy, and in the mud, the 700cc tyres cut through to the solid stuff like an old land rover

IMG_2220.jpg
  16. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Love the gravel bikes!
    Did a loop this morning and stayed within my allocated 25klm Melb. lockdown zone of course......Not
    Bit freezy tho, had to go with the full winter kit
    20210613_104834.jpg
  17. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    677F78AF-105D-4377-A12F-35DE94A9D80F.jpeg

Shite photo.

another toy I bought without riding, it’s a common theme these days.

as an aside the nyon hooked to a polar verity tells me my heart rate peaks at about 115bpm - which afaict is probably about 5bpm more than I should push it to.

reprogrammed the modes on the nyon, all of them now start me off at Max power but 3 modes taper down soon enough.

if it wasn’t electric I am pretty damned sure I couldn’t ride out of sight. Tend to ride out at lowest mode and use the battery to get me home.

My very first ride was a 20km jaunt along the beach front bike path here.

oh yeah I’ve reset it a bit since then, bars higher and raised the seat about 3” (it’s dropped in that photo).

vario which is ok, would’ve gone the rohloff but didn’t wish to wait 4 months plus when this was on the floor.
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Nice ride... adventure pack rack and fully damped e-assist... cool kid at the beachfront.

I'd have thought your hip and arse would've protested that hardcore x-c mtb saddle after 20 km's or so... even down the smooth concrete route of the Casuarina beach cycle way (did ya' wave to lil' bro for me?).

As far as the ergo's go... as a fellow bike rider and mate who has an idea of your physical dimensions - aside from suggesting a bit comfier saddle for you (I reckon your hip and butt cheeks will thank you for it) I would also recommend a bit higher rise and wider - @ 780mm... even 800mm mebbe? (he's a big unit) if you have already raised the gooseneck 3"... it might space out the seated position a bit for you.
    Mouse likes this.
  19. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Went out for a birthday ride with the guys.... Finally got to see a mates Evil(yes the Brand is Evil) Bike. A long constant climb with no real rest sections(great if your on an Ebike) , Pete had not been to the top of Mt Dial so we went to the top for the view then to Iron Tor and the decent..... where poor old Wils hada crash and found that guys in their 50's don bounce well.
    2nd time only having done this loop and I decided to take the HardTail to make it harder on myself :D the Reign is cheating its so easy on the DH, i came away feeling like the Fat bastard i am.... I really need to loose or weight to make those climbs easier

https://www.strava.com/activities/5454450971
    [​IMG]

XCO and DH where both on over the weekend both can be seen on Redbull TV and highlights on youtube
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  20. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Thanks Troy - that was its maiden trip and the seat got retired immediately thereafter, it was frigging horrible indeed.

raised the seat post about 75mm and then there’s a 125/150mm dropper post rise above that height, still need it a bit higher I think. Ideally the bars would be higher and further forward from their maxed out position.

think I read somewhere the Harley ex factory puts out 95nm to the 85nm of the Bosch.